Online Photo Equipment Seller Ratings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
I'm not sure if this belongs here, if not, mods, please delete.

I've seen a lot of questions about photo equipment and I've also seen some questions about what dealers we may use.

I was thinking of buying another Canon Digital Rebel XT body, since the xti came out I thought I could get a good price on an xt body.

I did some searches and was amazed by the difference in prices.

There is an online service called

Reseller Ratings

Just enter the store name in the store ratings box.

This is an invaluable site, when looking at the sites that offered prices that looked too good to be true, it was true, they are too good to be true.

Good Luck,

Glenn

Interesting, but not exactly accurate. I looked up EOS Rebel XTi bodies and found 17th St. Photo at $699 with 5 checks rating. The site listed Amazon as being $1058 for the same body, but when I went to Amazon.com and looked up their price it was $676.34. So Amazon would win for me (also free shipping and no tax).

Buyer beware.

Kevin

I usually don't mess around when buying my photo gear. I buy from B&H Photo or Adorama. My preference is for B&H, but they are both very reliable and usually have very good prices.

As was said, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. This is especially true in the world of camera sales. Not sure why, but there are a lot of shady camera stores out there.

- darren

I agree fully with Darren. Have done considerable business, especially, with B&H (less with Adorama) and consistently have been impressed by their service, prices and integrity.

G.

The other place I highly recommend is NewEgg. They're better at memory cards and accessories, but sometimes have good deals on cameras. I bought most of my cameras at B&H over the years. Why worry about saving $10 when in the end the aggravation costs you more?

darren said:
I usually don't mess around when buying my photo gear. I buy from B&H Photo or Adorama. My preference is for B&H, but they are both very reliable and usually have very good prices.

- darren

If you ever go to Midtown Manhattan be sure to check out B & H's Superstore. You'll feel like a four year old in a candy store! :rolleyes: :)

I will also agree with Darren. B+H or Adorama. I bought a used lens from Adorama, and was quite pleased with the transaction as a whole. Most of my purchases come from B+H, however. On a photo forum I visit most people agree the average internet "Camera store" is a bait and switch scam (and I have heard some extreme cases too :eek: ) though I think it unfair to label ALL online retailers as "scams." As has been said....buyer beware.

Brian

I also buy almost all my equipment from B&H, the best part is living in NJ. If I order it early in the day and use regular delivery it usually arrives the next day via UPS.

I just wanted to point out the reseller ratings site for anyone who may be new to ordering camera equipment online. As has been previously stated, for some reason camera equipment online seems to have more than it's share of scammers.