Online Shopping Options

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sierra Trading Post, Cabela's, EMS, LL Beans, and Backcounty.
Sometimes I'll hit the manufacturers sites too like Mt Hardwear especially if I'm looking for specs on weight and materials.
Hope this helps,
Bill

General: Campmor, Sierra Trading Post

Packs, Clothes: Mountain Equipment Co-op

Climbing, other hardware:

NorthernMountain, Gear Express, Telemark-Pyrenees.com, Barrabes.com, Sportextreme.com

(The last three sites being European shops. Disclaimer: There is a running controversy over buying in Eurpoe vs. supporting US retailers. Controversy is not as hot as it was a few years ago, because the deals are not as hot, due to strong Euro.)

I just found THIS SITE and purchased a pair of Vasque Sundowner GTX hiking boots for $133.99 as opposed to REI at $190.00 They really have some great deals check it out :) Also they have free shipping on hiking boots and a free pair of hiking socks with any purchase :) You cant beat this deal!!!!!!

Adam

For stuff that must be worn I first try it on at the local shop. Then regardless of what it is I just pop the item into a "Froogle" search. It may come up cheapest at Campmor or Sierra Trading Post, or wherever. It varies per who's having a sale. Then, as suggested by Spence, I go back to the local shop with the printout from the Net and give them the chance to match or get close to it. Unless it is a ridiculously low price (think Sierra closeout) they usually are willing to do something - if I promise not to tell. BTW, the Net is the best thing to EvER happen to car buying. Bought my last new car for thousands less than would have otherwise been the case. Was pure joy to watch dealers actually compete for my business! :D

i've done business with backcountry.com and they are pretty great. always low prices free shipping on orders over 50 and free tracking.

When I figure out what I want (outdoorreview & other sites), then I'll usually do a search on yahoo. I find that to search for, say a Gregory Palisade Pack, I'll type "Gregory Palisade $ sale " and search.

The highest hits tend to be (of all things) places with the item on sale. Then check each one & pick the best price. You'd be surprised how many outfitters are out there on line - and the standard REI / Campmore / Sierra Trading Post come out best only about half the time.