Opinions of 4-point crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Climb Hi 4point instep crampons last year for under 10 bucks on Ebay because at the time I was borrowing gear and wanted to have something of my own for icy conditions just in case. I never ended up taking them out of the box. Now I'm wondering if these are good for much of anything at all. I have Stabilicers, which I love for mixed conditions and thin surface ice on rocky trails, and now I've got a boot that will take a real crampon. I'm wondering if I should bother keeping these and under what conditions that might be useful if at all.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :) ,

If you have stabilizers and love 'em, I would almost say get rid of the 4 pointers. I had a pair or Camp 6 point insteps (which could also be worn on the heel or on the forefoot, depending on your needs and desires) for about 6-7 years.

I only really wore them on a few on occasions. I found that it was only mid-late spring or early to mid fall that I would need them, and I think stabilizers do a much better job nowadays.

I also didn't like that I had to watch how I stepped when they were worn as insteps as you could easily fall or keep half-slipping and catching yourself as you step - which is a realy PITA on steep downhills.

As a major Stabilicer fan I would agree with Rick...they are great for a variety of conditions. They have held for me on hard, slick ice, snow, mud, ice covered rocks in a stream crossing, wet rocks etc. Crampons are great too where needed...i woudl guess that anytime you would be tempted to use the 4-points the Stabilicers would be more than up to the challenge. Any situations that are tougher would need full crampons.

I'm agreeing with Mike and Rick. I have a pair of 6-point crampons, also Climb High, that I wore once, hated, and have never worn again. I now bring 10-point crampons and Yaktrax (similar to Stabilicers) for slippery conditions.

Rick said:
I also didn't like that I had to watch how I stepped when they were worn as insteps as you could easily fall or keep half-slipping and catching yourself as you step - which is a realy PITA on steep downhills.

I agree with Rick and others, especially on the above statement. The problem with insteps is how much of the surface area of the bottom of your boot isn't covered by a traction aid. Insteps just don't match up well with a person's natural heel-toe/heel-toe rhythm while walking. Because of this, much of the time, they provide very little traction. This results in slips and an overall feeling of unsteadiness when walking in them. IMO, stabilicers are much better for conditions where full crampons aren't necessary.

Exactly what I was thinking , but I wanted other opinions about them. I used better insteps last year and they weren't easy to walk in much of the time. The ones I purchased are a total drag to put on, and last year I had a better-designed pair to use and had them put on for me!!! Guess I might as well try to sell em' back on ebay so I can put a few dollars toward something else I may need (like serious crampons!).
Thanks guys!!! :D

I had 4 point crampons and found that after a long hike and they killed my arches. I also have a pair of 6 point (mentioned above) and couldn't figure out how to keep them on my boots (so might try moving them to someone more clever than I on eBay. I love my Stabilicers and my 12-point Grivels. Gave the 4 point to my ex-husband who is not a hiker but has gratefully used them to shuffle out for the mail in icy conditions at his house.

If anyone can give me good instructions for attaching the 6 point, I'd appreciate it.

I have instructions for the 4pointers and I still think I would have difficulty putting them on myself :p. What kind of crampons are they Ellen (who are they made by I guess is what I'm asking) ? If they are similar to what I have, I could easily send a photcopy of the instructions. Otherwise, I bet someone else here can help out.

I think they are Climb High 6 point, but I'll check when I get home and confirm Friday. Thanks!

I use 4 point insteps for ice fishing. I wouldnt use them for hiking though, not now that I know more about the requiremnts and conditions involved. The problem is that, if there is any appreciable amount of snow cover on the ground the snow packs into the crampon between the turned down corners and can get to the point where they wont even dig into the ice very well. When Ice fishing I have to constantly clean them out. Of course I weigh 260lbs, so Im sure the snow packs faster for me than it might for you ;) .
Brian

I have 4pt instep crampons and they have done their job when needed. (I also have rigid technical boots, so pressure on my arch is not an issue for me.)

When the need is greater, I use full crampons.

Stabilicers (the heavier model) look to me like a good substitute for the insteps. Might even be better, but they are fairly heavy. (Don't have a pair, but I have looked them over.)

Doug

Chris
Loose them!
It's like driving your car with the doughnut (spare tire) on!
If you want a nice alternative to 12 pt. crampons, Grivel makes an "Air Tech Lite" crampon. They weigh about 16 oz. They have shorter spikes on them (not stubs) & come with antibotts. They are not steel, so don't use them on hard ice or a lot of rocky areas, but they are sweet for their intended use.

I recently bought a couple of pairs of cheap insteps ($5 each) for my son and his friend to use and they were OK with them but they were in Awe of my 10pt Black Diamonds the whole hike.
I personally wouldn't go back to the insteps but have another simple rubber set (similar to stableicers)that work well in certain conditions.

I don't have 4 points myself, but I did buy some 6 points for my kids (they were 14 & 11 at the time). They had smaller feet, so the 6 points worked WAAAAAAY better for them then the full size ones. 10 points are too big and they just end up ripping the crap out of there clothing and tripping on the front points more often. I've heard the same thing with other kids and smaller framed adults too.

You might find the same thing if you are a smaller framed person as well. We spend 39 buck for them (or something) and it was alot smarter than spending twice that in the for larger models.

Bottom line. The might be appropriete in certain situation, but not so in other's AGood luck.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of 4 pt. instep crampons for $5 several years ago and use them when there's not enough snow for snowshoes and not enough ice for 10 or 12 pointers. They're just right for me under those conditions but all the cautions about stability and rocks etc. should be heeded. Nice that you don't mess up 10 or 12 expensive edges and don't really need to care about those 4 edges.

My feet are average otherwise ... ??? :D