Osceola whack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
On the 31st, dougeh and I are planning a trip up to the Osceolas from the Waterville side, up Greeley Pond Tr and up and over the summits. I had the idea to try whacking from the East peak down the shoulder that heads straight to the south to that little sub peak with about 50' of prominance (I'm calling it SE Osceola). From there considering a few options - east to the Logging Camp Tr, south toward the ... Rock (can't remember the name offhand), or more SSW toward Tripoli Rd.

Wondering if anyone out there has experience in that area and/or if anyone might be interested in joining us on this hike.

Hopefully the snow won't be too bad since it's a south facing area...

Goodrich Rock. I’ve seen skiers go down a slide on your left that is just before the cairn that marks the East Osceola peak. I’ve also whacked west and south Osceola and came out onto the East Pond Trail. A trip I will never do again. :(

MadRiver said:
Goodrich Rock. I’ve seen skiers go down a slide on your left that is just before the cairn that marks the East Osceola peak. I’ve also whacked west and south Osceola and came out onto the East Pond Trail. A trip I will never do again. :(

Actually, that was West and Middle Osceola that I hiked with you, PoisonIvy, dougeh, ScenicNH and blackcoffee. Gee, you didn't have fun fighting through the thick woods :D ?

I'll have to check out that slide, thanks!

I was searching old threads here and found this one:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14770&highlight=osceola+whack

Seems like there was an old trail along the Osceola Brook but nothing heading over the subpeak I'm curious about.

rocksnrolls said:
Actually, that was West and Middle Osceola that I hiked with you, PoisonIvy, dougeh, ScenicNH and blackcoffee. Gee, you didn't have fun fighting through the thick woods :D ?

I'll have to check out that slide, thanks!

I was searching old threads here and found this one:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14770&highlight=osceola+whack

Seems like there was an old trail along the Osceola Brook but nothing heading over the subpeak I'm curious about.
I guess my Alzheimer’s is getting more pronounced, I stand corrected.

There is a makeshift camp with a lean-to several 100' off the East Osceola Summit. I've 'whacked around in that area a little and where I was the woods weren't so bad but who knows beyond that. That looks like it could be a tough and steep contour to follow down especially if it's thick.

Osceola is such a cool mountain though. I hope to spend more time out there sometime in the future.

-Dr. Wu

Osceola Slide is on my list, the nice long narrow one you can see from the Hancock trailhead parking lot on the Kanc. But I'm doing it in winter. Enjoy. :D

leaf said:
Osceola Slide is on my list, the nice long narrow one you can see from the Hancock trailhead parking lot on the Kanc. But I'm doing it in winter. Enjoy. :D
That one is on the North side of the mountain. There are also a lot of small slides littered all over the mountain as well but the big one that you can see from Mt. Hancock is on the North face.

-Dr. Wu

Snow wise I really think you'll be ok (at least on the way up from Tripoli). I was there in early May once and there was snow on the Kanc side, but not on the Waterville. There might be snow in the woods, but I don't believe that it will be anything that you have to worry about. :cool:

On a personal note, I love the Osceolas a ton. I try to get over there at least once a year. I missed out last year since life was crazy busy, but was there the year before (which you can see in my avatar). Hopefully I'll head back sometime this year.

dr_wu002 said:
That one is on the North side of the mountain. There are also a lot of small slides littered all over the mountain as well but the big one that you can see from Mt. Hancock is on the North face.

-Dr. Wu
Oh nice. Yeah. Frodo pointed that one out to me after we climbed the Arrow Slide. Looks like a long, steep one.

Yeah, that slide on the north I'll save for a later date when I have more slide climbing experience under my belt. I'm curious about that shelter Dr Wu mentioned, but doubt we'll go out of our way to find it.

From looking at the maps, I would think it might not be too steep heading down the shoulder to the SE peak and we can hopefully find a way down off that that won't be too steep as well.

I'm very curious to see how it compares to my trip over the Middle and West peaks and down to East Pond. That was pretty tough once we started down from West.

The weather wasn't favorable so we didn't go on the 31st. Now we're thinking of going on Saturday June 14th. Also thinking we will reverse the course, hike up to the end of the Timber Camp Tr, whack up to the SE summit and then on to East Osceola, returning via the trails and Greeley Ponds. Anyone interested?

Logging Camp area

If you go up Greely Ponds trail, turn left and go up to the Logging Camp trail corrie you can find old logging drag roads on the left side that will take you all the way to the top of the cliffs that overhang the corrie. That's as far as I've been, but it looks like it would be a pretty straight shot to East Osceola up that ridge.

Hillwalker said:
If you go up Greely Ponds trail, turn left and go up to the Logging Camp trail corrie you can find old logging drag roads on the left side that will take you all the way to the top of the cliffs that overhang the corrie. That's as far as I've been, but it looks like it would be a pretty straight shot to East Osceola up that ridge.

Excellent! Thanks for the info!

dr_wu002 said:

-Dr. Wu

We discovered that there is also a big one on the south side of the main peak. Got a good view of it from a viewpoint on the southeast peak on my recent whack.