Our Personal Health Plans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun and interesting projects to look forward to; short-term, medium-term and long-term. And do them.

-Try not to take yourself too seriously.

-Never stop playing - it's how human beings were designed to learn.

-Practice moderation in all things, including moderation.

-Never forget that reality is as much an illusion of reason, as reason is an illusion of reality.

The rest works itself out usually...

Stretch!

I know two guys who are 60-ish and in incredible shape. Sure, genetics probably plays a part, but one thing they have in common is they both are very athletically active and are huge advocates of stretching. ;)

McRat said:
-Never forget that reality is as much an illusion of reason, as reason is an illusion of reality.
Deep conversations with Mcrat around the campfire is also vital for mental health.....it's kind of like mental stretching :D

Mental. emotional and spiritual health is as important as physical health I think. Staying married may or may not be the solution......it's probably more important to ask if I'm the right person to be married to instead of trying to get married to the right person.......

Do annual full body physicals.

Don't talk bad about other people (I'm working on that one ;) )

Drink a liter of water in the morning before doing anything else

Do yoga twice a week (even if there is no time to do it)

Flirt often ;)

Hug frequently

Take Chondroitin and Glucosamine daily.

There is a reason we have two ears and one mouth :D

Massage your feet before hikes and ice them after.

And now it's time to sleep....... :)

Dog!

Have a dog! I find that as stressful as my life can be, Abby brings me back around to what is important. :D :)

Listen to good music and dance! Lots of VFTTers do this well ;)

Smile a lot. Live every day like it means something. Share your life and your love as if you were a philanthropist. Never lose your desire to play games. Don’t eat junk food. There’s a reason it’s called junk food. Read voraciously. Stay childlike in your curiosity. Don’t act your age. Sing and dance like you don’t understand the term ‘embarrassment’. Stay physically and mentally fit. Don’t drink cheap beer/wine/spirits. Save your memories. Don’t take your self so seriously. Don’t be a know-it-all. You don’t and you won’t. Be a great friend. Be a giver and not a taker. Push yourself. Hard. Believe in something. Don't complain. Do something about it.

JohnL

Mats Roing said:
Drink a liter of water in the morning before doing anything else
If I did this I would never get out of the BR to implement any personal health care plans. ;)

I vote for a dog. They will get you out if you are unmotivated, they will cheer you up when you are sad,
they will help you keep things in perspective. They will alway welcome you home and not judge you. If you screw up they won't hold it against you and they will eat all you leftovers. No chance of food poisoning from things gone bad in the fridge :cool:
All the things that help increase your life expectancy.

Sasquatch said:
Marriages work until someone gets strapped to a polygraph.

Rob, you had me laughing on that one! :D

It's okay Ashley still loves you!! It was meant to be for some reason!!

I believe in having lots of friends that keep you smiling and are active, keeps you young at heart & mind!

Healthy eating all week long before a hiking weekend of drinking & eating. I'm thinking the calories burned don't quite match the calories of intake.

Multi sport activities for cross training too!

Nice thread -

I will echo a lot of the earlier responses...

Get enough sleep - I aim for 7-8 hours/night - does not always pan out, but I do try.

Eat right - something I have only been doing for about 16 weeks now - but it has made a huge difference in my health, attitude and hiking. (It is kind of like taking off a 35 pound backpack and then going for a hike - huge difference.) I have cut out booze about two years ago (I know - I will get red squared here for that one!), smoking (over 15 years), caffeine (5 + years) - for me, none of these were difficult to give up because I was sick of all of them...eating right has been tougher (you cannot give up eating), but the results speak for themselves - I have lost the heavy hand with the olive oil and margarine, eat 90 % less cheese and ice cream than I used to (in fact, I had a recent revelation - I never had known that ice cream came in sizes other than extra large!)

I always want to exercise more - but it is often impossible to find the time - my work days go from about 4:30-5am 'til about 5 pm - then it is cook and get the kids to bed and get myself to bed - but I do try to walk as much as I can.

I also think the "Hang around positive people" notion has a lot of merit - I am by nature a bit negative, but it does not effect me in the same way as it does others - I like to prepare for the worse and then be pleasantly surprised when it does not turn out so bad. Of course, if you have read of some of my death marches, you would see very little positive!

And last but not least - hike hike hike!

Paradox said:
Never, ever go 42 mph and throw yourself on the ground! :confused:

I go faster than 42mph almost everyday on the downhill to work, haven't thrown myself to the ground yet!! :)

You have to stop being a slave to the bike computer! Sometimes it is nice to just ride without one, the heck with speed, miles, average pace, book time, elevation gain, etc. etc. I like to hike that way too sometimes...

Jay

Jay H said:
I go faster than 42mph almost everyday on the downhill to work, haven't thrown myself to the ground yet!! :)

You have to stop being a slave to the bike computer! Sometimes it is nice to just ride without one, the heck with speed, miles, average pace, book time, elevation gain, etc. etc. I like to hike that way too sometimes...

Jay

Hey Jay,

I have two buddies I ride with.... one of them is a bike computeraholic and constantly concerned with data. The other doesn't know the difference between kilometers and miles :) Both are fun guys to ride with. I'm somewhere in between the 2 extremes.

P.S Riding my biking to work and hiking are the 2 main ways I keep in shape.
Ditch the car and ride to work if possible!

Last edited:
I am a computerholic, but sometimes I'll either forget or lose the computer unit and then I realize how free it seems to just ride. I think those that do this are happier!

I agree with the ride to work sentiments and personal health. I almost never get sick.

Saplatt said:
I never had known that ice cream came in sizes other than extra large!)

It does???? News to me! :p

p.s. nice avatar...:D

Jay

Jay H said:
I am a computerholic, but sometimes I'll either forget or lose the computer unit and then I realize how free it seems to just ride. I think those that do this are happier!
It does???? News to me! :p
p.s. nice avatar...:D
Jay

Hiking tie in -

was hiking Willard with my family the other day and a man was descending looking at a small screen and not watching where he was going. I was taking a break with my 40 pound pack (read: Zachary in a kid carrier) and the guy stops and hits a few buttons and squints at the screen and informs me that I have .4 miles to go to the summit. I told him that I knew that! Put the screen down and enjoy!! Kind of like taking the vacation of your lifetime and watching the entire thing through the eyepeice of a camera or a videorecorder!

1. Exercise every day and keep your weight under control.
  2. Drink lots of water (vodka is 60% water).
  3. Don't be boring.
  4. "Never play cards with a man named Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren

Start each morning with a good BM. (seriously).

Take vitamins, I take one Mega-Man vitamin from GNC each morning and have not caught a cold in years.

Workout. I go to the gym each day and alternate my workouts between cardio and strength training.

Enjoy nature. This includes not only hiking but kayaking and biking as well.

Try to get to the Whites or the Daks as often as possible.

Have as many hobbies as you can afford and make your family part of those hobbies.

Take as much time off from work as possible. A desk job will just take years off your life and your employer will replace you as soon as you are placed in the casket or cremated, so don't give too much to your employer; they don't appreciate it anyway.

Overall, stay physically active. I think most of us on this board do just that.

WhiteMTHike said:
Start each morning with a good BM. (seriously).
Am I the only one who hasn't figured what BM stands for? M could be for massage and B for a couple of things at least.....other guesses are Breakfast Meal and Barrels per Month.....

Back to health....

Dudes should check their prostate after turning 40 and women should check their B's before turning 40......

Be careful with the sun.

Smile when you see a fellow hiker.

Learn how to swim.

When you meet someone in the woods, make sure that they are better off meeting you than not meeting you.......a smile is usually working..... ;)

Mats Roing said:
Am I the only one who hasn't figured what BM stands for? M could be for massage and B for a couple of things at least.....other guesses are Breakfast Meal and Barrels per Month.....

BM = Bowel Movement. (It's the polite way to say "take a dump".) :)

Mats Roing said:
Dudes should check their prostate after turning 40 and women should check their B's before turning 40......

Great -- I just turned 40 a couple weeks ago and have this to look forward to. (Gotta go rent Fletch to remember what his good one-liners were...)

I'm assuming "B"s for the women are breasteses?

Mats Roing said:
Be careful with the sun.

Smile when you see a fellow hiker.

Learn how to swim.

When you meet someone in the woods, make sure that they are better off meeting you than not meeting you.......a smile is usually working..... ;)

I'd add the following:

-Laugh. Often.