Out of control slide down a snow field in UT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
For anyone that has crossed a steep snow slopes, this video is a good illustration of how fast you can accelerate out of control.

Because of the deep snow pack this year, crossings of steep snow slopes like this are still everywhere.

SANDY -- A Sandy man is recovering from a near fatal fall, down an icy mountainside in Little Cottonwood Canyon. He was with a group of scouts, when he lost his footing. A video of the fall shows just how lucky Hiram Thornton is.
Thornton was with a group of scouts at Maybird last week, when he got too close to a giant snow field and slid more than 300 feet into a boulder field.

Warning: The video may be disturbing.

Not to nitpick, just want to clarify. Sandy and LCC are in Utah. (Which I'm sure you know.)

OUCH! It seems he went about that all wrong, no?. Didn't really try to kick his step in at all, face the slope, or even take his time for that matter. Crazy footage.

Last edited:
Oops, I'm heading to Colorado Wednesday. Got CO on the brain. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the correction.

That's ugly. Lucky guy. It didn't look like he even thought twice about stepping on that snow field.

I'm amazed at how he stepped on the snow--it looks as if he was trying to slide or to see if he could demonstrate the worst possible technique...

Doug

I agree. His bad technique includes some missing equipment too. He stepped out there confidently though. I think he fully expected to stand on it like a shelf. Glad he was okay in the end but that was a rough ride over those rocks. :eek:

I agree. His bad technique includes some missing equipment too.
I would have wanted crampons, an ice axe, and maybe a rope with a fixed belay... Rigid boots might be nice too.

I have kicked steps out onto a similarly steep snowslope (with a long slide below), but soon decided that it wasn't a justifiable risk and turned back.

Doug

I would have wanted crampons, an ice axe, and maybe a rope with a fixed belay... Rigid boots might be nice too.

I have kicked steps out onto a similarly steep snowslope (with a long slide below), but soon decided that it wasn't a justifiable risk and turned back.

Doug

Good choice. I've sometimes gone out of my way to go around that late season snowfield on Jefferson when I didn't have any traction...and that's not as steep.

Well parents can rest easy knowing that this guy is out there teaching their children valuable techniques of traversing snowfields.

"Simply lower yourself onto the snow awkwardly as though you were getting into a hot bath."

I really can't picture anyone doing that any more awkwardly than good ol' Hiram. He's lucky his injuries weren't worse.

Well parents can rest easy knowing that this guy is out there teaching their children valuable techniques of traversing snowfields.

"Simply lower yourself onto the snow awkwardly as though you were getting into a hot bath."

I really can't picture anyone doing that any more awkwardly than good ol' Hiram. He's lucky his injuries weren't worse.

No Doubt the only thing missing here was the Hefty Garbage Can Bag or an inflated tractor tire inner tube.

Ive crossed alot of similiar snowslopes early in the 14er season in CO. Ive also seen alot of regular hikers encounter these slopes with no ice axe, BIG mistake. I cross these slopes using the one axe self belay method, generally without crampons as the snow tends to be quite soft and very receptive to step kicking. If you do where crampons you better be carefull, if you do slide you could break your ankle in seconds.