Outdoor Research - Rocky Mt low gaiters - product review

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I called OR a little while back, looking for a pair under boot replacement staps for my short gaiters. My intention was to remove the worn-through ones on my well used, beat-to-hell gaiters and stitch on new straps.
The CSR said they could look for a pair of the straps, but why didn't I want to just return my old ones for a new pair. I told OR that I had just beaten the *&@$#* out of the gaiters - they told me that the straps are not supposed to wear out and gave me a return authorization number. The brand new pair came today.

A while ago I wrote about another pair of OR winter gaiters. The size that fits my winter boots is a little too short to cinch down above my calf, so the gaiters slipped down all day long - sort of like Elvis pants. I left OR an email with a suggestion about sizing. Got an email and then a phone call from their product design guy. After some conversations about leg dimensions, he asked me to send them back. They were going to customize them. And then he said, we'll just make you a pair if you'll send the proper height and the circumference of your leg right below your knee. The new gaiters showed up a short while later, a perfect fit.

Outdoor Research makes great products and I don't know of an outdoor gear place that has better customer service.

Hmm, the straps under foot wore out on mine after only a few uses... maybe I ought to make a call!

Tim

For every new pair I purchase I just cover the strap with gorilla tape. Lasts forever.

p.s. I did send back a pair of winter gaiters that were torn by my snowshoes and they sent me a new and ungraded pair at no cost. Good company.

For the more recent Flex-tex gaiters, they switched from shoe laces underfoot (user replaceable) to heavy plastic-coated straps. The new straps are indestructible, but stiff and not really good for trail runners which generally don't have much recess space under the arch. Still--I use them all the time in all seasons.

Im using and have been for 5 seasons the black diamond ankle gaitors, they are indestructable. In relation to OR, thier products are top notch, I use thier expedition mitts, they are way old but still in great shape. I used there expedition gloves but they didnt hold up as long, then again I used them for ice climbing and that beats gloves quickly.

For the more recent Flex-tex gaiters, they switched from shoe laces underfoot (user replaceable) to heavy plastic-coated straps. The new straps are indestructible, but stiff and not really good for trail runners which generally don't have much recess space under the arch. Still--I use them all the time in all seasons.

That sounds like a challenge! But I already took that challenge and the Flex-tex lost so I'd be cheating on that bet now.

I've tried a handful of stuff to replace the OEM under-the-boot straps. Including, but not limited to:

parachute chord
dacron fishing line
kevlar fishing line
80# test plastic coated stainless cable (bluefish leader material)

Everything I tried was cut withing a trip or two. Mostly they stay low enough that I don't care - I have to catch the elastic edge on something while stepping down to pull it up over the top of my boot. Thus, I have not bothered to further fix or replace them.

Tim

I bought a pair of old style crampon straps long ago made of a red rubber fiber reinforced material for winter gaiter strap replacements, it usually lasts for a season or two and then I sew on a new piece. I dont know what I will do when I run out of it.

For summer gaiters that I use occasionally, I just use a brained nylon cord that I bought at a flea market. I think its used by rope makers as a center strand for climbing ropes.

OR Expedition gaiters come (or at least they did when I bought a pair) with an extra set of straps, and they're field-replaceable. The straps aren't affixed permanently. Rather, they slip thru a metal bracket on the inside (instep) and then buckle on the outer as others do.

I sleeved the boot strap on my winter gaiters with a piece of 1” tubular webbing. It's bomber.

I was a little concerned that my summer scree gaiter boot strings may get caught on rocks or roots causing a trip and fall with my trailrunners. I put them to the test recently and didn't find that to be the case, however the accessory cord I used as boot straps didn't hold up. I think I'll sleeve some 1/2” tubular webbing over the accessory cord and give that a try.

I sent in a pair of OR Rocky Mountain Low Gaitors less then two weeks ago with a snap that had pulled out. They also did not have an underarch cord so I had to tie on new line every other hike. The replacements were received 9 days later. The new gaitors are a touch different. They came with the plastic coated straps (something new to go wrong and send back for a replacement), and no snaps (the snaps are replaced by a double velcro closure). I also returned one of their water bottle cozies because the zipper was shreading up the insualtion and jamming. Received that replacement at the same time.

I sent in a pair of OR Rocky Mountain Low Gaitors less then two weeks ago with a snap that had pulled out. .

Snap pulled out of one of mine fairly early on. I just don't bother with that and go with the velcro that was there. Still work great. And I carry a few cheap shoe laces with me for the under-foot piece.

Snap pulled out of one of mine fairly early on. I just don't bother with that and go with the velcro that was there. Still work great. And I carry a few cheap shoe laces with me for the under-foot piece.

I may have given the wrong impression. I got what I would call great service life from those gaitors. I will definately, consider OR equipment over others if I can afford it at the time.

I would also like to chime in on the service of OR. My wife had a pair of the Flex Tex low gaiters which had 3 of the 4 snaps broken. She has been using them with just the velcro. After reading this thread, I contacted OR and the rep sent me an email and said to send them back, the new order was all set to ship. I sent them on a Saturday and had the new ones on Friday. All shiny and new with the strap not a shoelace underfoot. It is the only OR product (except for water bottle holders) we own but I will definitely look at their products for future purchases.

I have owned two pairs since 2006. The first pair I loved because of the replaceable lace with the grommet set up. I had to replace them when a snap broke and the Velcro started to come apart a bit. Still usable, but needing replacement. So I bought a new pair a couple years ago, the new kind with the buckle and strap. Well, the stitching on both straps eventually came apart on me and the straps have fallen off (not at the same time, about 2 months apart). So I am a fan of the old style and wish they would change them back. Indeed, I just contacted OR about this very issue thanks to this thread. Honestly if they replace them or not I don't mind, but I would rather buy a new pair with the grommet set up of old (I know, I am asking a lot, but I guy can hope!) For that reason I am now looking at the Black Diamond Talus gaiters since they have the grommet set-up (and also I like the way the hook on the front is set up....the OR's snag brush like hell when whacking, but that I can overlook if they just give me back the old grommet styling!!! :D )

Brian

... first pair I loved because of the replaceable lace with the grommet set up ... new kind with the buckle and strap. Well, the stitching on both straps eventually came apart on me and the straps have fallen off... I am a fan of the old style and wish they would change them back. Indeed, I just contacted OR about this very issue thanks to this thread.
The old style low gaiters (in a CHOICE of colors) with the grommets for a cord underneath were wonderful; one pair of those had lasted me probably a decade, until the elastic simply wore out.

The new style (black only) with attached under-straps have not worked out well for me. The fold-over velcro tabs come apart and shred. Two pair in just a couple of years.

Plus I can't deal with the straps/buckles. Twice on the first pair I stupidly put the gaiters on the wrong feet, soon locked up the (wrongly inside) buckles mid-stride, and did a header! On the second pair, very first thing I did was to cut off the straps.