Outlook for water crossings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually more interesting right now to look at the gage on the Wild River:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv?site_no=01054200

Why? Because you can actually see the pattern of snowmelt as the river goes up during the warm days and back down during the cool nights.

1800cfs is definitely higher than summer's usual 150-200cfs on the Wild; however, it's still nowhere near a post-rain-event 5000cfs.

Hoo-eey! How about some folk up there post some photographs, if ya got 'em, of these here rivers? 7,000cfs is indeed a lot of water in the Pemi, and that 4,000cfs in the Wild is most definitely not fordable.

They've got sandbag walls erected in Saranac Lake. The river is very close to the bottom of the bridges in town... I've never seen it this high before.

Good weekend to practice those "balance beam walk on the slippery log across the river" skills!!! Try to land upright!!! :D

Here are a couple of pictures of the Little River from Friday 4/28 about 3:00 p.m. The Little River wasn't so little and it was roaring!

From the Rt. 3 bridge over the Little River
2011-04-28_15-11-01_200.jpg

From the wood bridge over the Little River at the end of Little River Road
2011-04-28_15-16-54_136.jpg

For comparison to some of these smaller rivers, the Hudson peaked Friday night in Glens Falls at 50,000 cfs (not a typo; that's fifty thousand cfs). Was down at the bridge to watch the falls. It looked like one of those epic movies, where the world is ending, and here comes the water...surreal.

It's actually more interesting right now to look at the gage on the Wild River:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv?site_no=01054200

Why? Because you can actually see the pattern of snowmelt as the river goes up during the warm days and back down during the cool nights.

1800cfs is definitely higher than summer's usual 150-200cfs on the Wild; however, it's still nowhere near a post-rain-event 5000cfs.

I think that the diurnal snowmelt flow pattern shows up better now with the clear skies (30 April - 2 May) than it did leading up to the big ppt events the previous week; see what you think (change default graph from 7 to 14 days). What interests me are the lag times, with the snowmelt peak discharges not arriving until about midnight. Same has been true with the East Branch and Pemi hydrographs the past few days also.