Owl's Cliff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
Another NH 200 Highest venture to a really nice little peak. I first visited Owl's Cliff in 1992, the views were better then because the trees were much smaller! It was hot, hot, hot yesterday, but there were no bugs and no humidity. We used the Brunel Trail, this trail is over 80 years old and definitely does not get much use, at times it's like bushwacking. It's steep and rough, but high up it provides some nice views to the south. We had hoped to also go over to Tremont, but Mark came really close to heat stroke, so we cut the trip short at Owl's Cliff. It's scary to see someone sweating and shivering all at the same time. I think that the heat was so intense and dry it snuck up on us as to how dehydrated we were getting. Luckily after a nice sit down in a freezing brook, plenty of cold water to drink, and some food Mark felt much better. Pics at http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572318463FeGeQY

I was there last week. From Owl's cliff to Tremont it gets steeper and rougher. In the col the trail is difficult to follow. Blazes are faint and far between. There is this interesting sign there.

Which if you can't make it out says "CAUTION TRAIL POORLY MARKED".

Kurt, on the "bright" side Mark is trying to lose some weight, so the hike had the added bonus of allowing him to lose 7 lbs.! :) Interesting sign Andy, in retospect I'm glad I didn't get to see it. :)