Owls Head 1-29-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Owls Head via Lincoln Woods Trail, Black Pond Trail, Black Pond Bushwack, Lincoln Brook Trail, Brutus Bushwack???, Owls Head Path.

There was ice and snow right from the begining at the parking lot.

I started out by myself at 8AM on the Linclon Woods Trail in microspikes. there were 2 groups in front of me and they broke through the icy crust and packed it out nicely. It was a beautiful day out with big patches of blue sky and some sunshine.

Arrived at the Black Pond Trail at 9AM the snow got a little deeper so I put on my snow shoes better footing and in anticipation of the bushwack ahead. The Black Pond Trail and the bushwack was pretty uneventful because the groups ahead of me had broken through the icy crust on the surface and made it easy to follow. I checked the direction they were heading in with my compass from time to time during the bushwack and it was close to the one I had planned so I stayed on their trail.

Got to the Lincoln Brook trail about 10AM and things were looking good. The two groups in front of me had done all the work of breaking the trail and made it easy for me.

At about 11:30AM I caught up to one of the groups in front of me at the Lincoln Brook Crossing about .4 miles from the Owls Head Path. I recognized one of the hikers, it was MadRiver (Rick)! Hiking in a Kilt! Another member was also there Lava Lamp(Tom)! It turned out to be a really cool group of five. Along with Rick and Tom there was Allen, Pam and Linda. Turns out they planned on following the group ahead of them up the "Brutus Bushwack" the group ahead of them said they had the route on their GPS. They invited me to go with them and I was all for it. Rick had some concerns about where they started the bushwack from but we thought that because they had the route on their GPS we would go ahead and follow their tracks. It turned out the route they took was off. We ended up bushwacking through some very heavy Pine Growth... After a couple hours of this the tracks started heading south by southeast. At this point Rick and Allen, the two most experienced hikers in the group had had enough and decided to drop down in elevation and Rick started breaking trail and leading us due North with the hope that we would come across the slide. After about fifteen more minutes of bushwacking North it wasn't looking good. We could see Liberty directly across from us and Pam thought the trail should be around our general location but we weren't having any success finding it. It was about 2:15 -2:30PM now and we were resigned to the fact that we were going to have to go back to the tracks we followed up so we didn't get stuck up there after dark. Allen took the lead and started beaking trail back to the south while dropping some more elevation and then he noticed some blow down had been cut with a chain saw and then saw another one and we realized we were standing on the Owls Head Path! We got the group back together and headed up to the New Summit, took a short break and headed back down around 3:25PM.

We never saw the group in front of us so we don't know where they ended up, just hope they're ok.

We went back down the slide and Allen broke trail the whole way down. It's very steep and I changed into my crampons at the look out point and felt much more comfortable. Swapped out my crampons for snowshoes once we got back on Lincoln Brook Trail

We broke trail for about .4 miles on the way back until we got to the point on Lincoln Brook Trail where we started the Bushwack. It started getting dark soon after and we put our headlamps on. We got back to the start of the Black Pond Bushwack at 6PM and took a short break then headed out back through the woods. About 1\2 way through the bushwack I got ahead of the rest of the group and waited a while for them to catch up but my back started to tighten up and I figured it would be better if I just kept moving. Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to the group but thanks for letting me hike with you to the summit and back. That's the first time I ever hiked with anyone from VFT!

I made it out to the Lincoln Woods Trail at 7:30PM and was back at the parking lot at 8:30 and wore my snowshoes all the way out to the parking lot.

Owls Head was my 45\48. All I have left to do is the Bonds. I hope to do them sometime this winter.

I took a couple pictures here's a link if you want to see them.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3077719017487.2151892.1099099425&type=3&l=1271097c2b

Special Equipment needed: Snowshoes, Crampons, map and compass

Special Equipment used: poles, microspikes, snowshoes, crampons, map and compass

Sorry about the crappy route on the Brutus Bushwhack. We turned left a little too soon (less than a tenth of a mile) so instead of going "over" the thick stuff we ended up in the middle of it. Never had done the route before so I had tried to plot it out by using descriptions and pictures of other's GPS routes and ended up putting a couple of the way points in the wrong place.

Once we realized we were too low we fought our way through that thick stuff to get back above and rejoin the correct route - but that little detour seemed to take forever. We ate at the old summit and then made quick work of the new summit. We probably just missed you guys back at the old summit on our way back down. We did find the easy path on our descent and skipped the thick stuff that slowed us down so much on the way up. Got back to the lot about 7:00 PM with tired legs and a busted snowshoe.

Our group would have made better time if they just jettisoned the dead wood, namely me. I was fighting a cold all week, so doing Owl’s Head on Saturday wasn’t the brightest hike to do. Compound that with breaking my Lightning Ascents coming down the slide and having to switch to my crampons for the hike out killed our time. Thanks everyone for your understanding and patience, and especially to my Guarding Angel Pam whose gentle encouragement kept me going.

Compound that with breaking my Lightning Ascents coming down the slide and having to switch to my crampons for the hike out killed our time.

Bad day for MSR Lightning Ascents - I bent the frame pretty badly on the climb but fortunately was still able to use them.

Bad day for MSR Lightning Ascents - I bent the frame pretty badly on the climb but fortunately was still able to use them.

This is my second pair that broke. The crampon that they use is too fragile and always seems to break at the rivet. One is completely broken while the other has a crack at the rivet. I know they will probably replace them at no cost, yet I no longer have confidence that they will not break at the most inopportune time, like coming down a slide.

Sorry for the thread drift, Woody.

Our group would have made better time if they just jettisoned the dead wood, namely me.

No way. You broke out and guided us through Black Pond bushwhack, got the trip together in the first place, and got us to the top. Gentle encouragement willingly and enthusiastically applied.

Back to the thread...

We were happy you joined us Woody. Nice trip report and some good pics. Did you really have to post a picture of my butt?;)

Congrats on #45! Almost there!

Great story and I loved the responses of others who were on that trail that day.

Last edited:
Owlshead is always an adventure. So we took the hard route, whatever. It was better than sitting on the couch. Thank you Rick for breaking out BP and thank you Michael and everyone else in our group for busting our butts and bagging the Owl! Great workout!:D

Happy Trails
Heather

Sorry about the crappy route on the Brutus Bushwhack. We turned left a little too soon (less than a tenth of a mile) so instead of going "over" the thick stuff we ended up in the middle of it. Never had done the route before so I had tried to plot it out by using descriptions and pictures of other's GPS routes and ended up putting a couple of the way points in the wrong place.

Once we realized we were too low we fought our way through that thick stuff to get back above and rejoin the correct route - but that little detour seemed to take forever. We ate at the old summit and then made quick work of the new summit. We probably just missed you guys back at the old summit on our way back down. We did find the easy path on our descent and skipped the thick stuff that slowed us down so much on the way up. Got back to the lot about 7:00 PM with tired legs and a busted snowshoe.

No worries, that was some very thick stuff. You showed a lot of determination to follow the bushwack all the way to the summit, I'm impressed. Thanks for breaking trail for us too. Did you go back down the same way you went up?
We were actually on our way back to your tracks when we found the Owls Head Path! I had a great time on the hike, it's one I don't think I'll soon forget.

This is my second pair that broke. The crampon that they use is too fragile and always seems to break at the rivet. One is completely broken while the other has a crack at the rivet. I know they will probably replace them at no cost, yet I no longer have confidence that they will not break at the most inopportune time, like coming down a slide.

Sorry for the thread drift, Woody.

On the Contrary MadRiver thanks for posting, I enjoyed hiking with you and the rest of the group immensely! I've only been hiking in the Whites for a few years and really admire the confidence you and Allen have navigating around in the bush like you did. I learned a lot from you that day.

No way. You broke out and guided us through Black Pond bushwhack, got the trip together in the first place, and got us to the top. Gentle encouragement willingly and enthusiastically applied.

Back to the thread...

We were happy you joined us Woody. Nice trip report and some good pics. Did you really have to post a picture of my butt?;)

Congrats on #45! Almost there!

Thanks Pam, I agree I don't think we would have made the summit if it hadn't been for MadRiver. Sorry about the butt picture but you have to admit, you look fabulous :D

Owlshead is always an adventure. So we took the hard route, whatever. It was better than sitting on the couch. Thank you Rick for breaking out BP and thank you Michael and everyone else in our group for busting our butts and bagging the Owl! Great workout!:D

Happy Trails
Heather

Hi Heather, No disrespect intended. That was my first time up Owls Head and I am stoked to have summitted and made some new friends along the way. Congrats on a Great effort!

Mike

Our group would have made better time if they just jettisoned the dead wood, namely me.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that every group needs someone to be the slow one, and I don't mind filling that role. :D

This is my second pair that broke.

My second pair of busted lightnings too - returned the first pair a month ago and only have two hikes with the new pair. They instead of looking like an "I" they now look like an "L". Guess will just stick with the Evo Ascents. :(

No worries, that was some very thick stuff. You showed a lot of determination to follow the bushwack all the way to the summit, I'm impressed. Thanks for breaking trail for us too. Did you go back down the same way you went up? We were actually on our way back to your tracks when we found the Owls Head Path!

Part determination / Part madness. Figured we had gotten that far we might as well close the deal. We did follow most of our route back down but we did see where we should have come out so we were able to skip all that thick stuff on the way back down. :D

sounds like it was a little stressful but, in the end, you all made it and more importantly, all made it back!!!! YAY!!! :)