Owl's Head - last ones to see the summit sign!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alspal

Reaction score
I met up with Albee at the Derry Park & Ride as he had plans to visit Warner hill after our morning run/hike. We lost a little time when Officer Curran decided that my speed slightly exceeded the posted limit. I can’t complain as I generally travel beyond the speed limit. I thought about telling him that the anticipation of the four-thousand footer coupled with the Rancid tunes on the stereo were mitigating factors, then thought the better of it. $150 later we were off.

We planned on traveling light and left the parking lot at Lincoln woods carrying little. Albee went with a 60 ounce camelback and a pop-tart. I went with a two holster fanny pack but only carried 16 ounces of water, choosing to holster my camera. I also crammed in four Hammer ™ Gels a compass, map, whistle, and bug net into the pouch. Our plan was to run the 8 miles to the slide trail, hike up/down, and then run back. Albee used his regular Nike running shoes and I went with a newer pair of Montrail running shoes with a great tread.

At 8:30 AM we took off down the rail trail at a reasonable clip and only encountered a couple of hikers and one fast moving runner. I mentioned that it would be a whole different world when we came back this way in the early afternoon. We reached the bridge at 3 miles in 25:29, there were a few people milling around the intersection deciding which way to go. We trotted on enjoying the much cooler weather and taking turns leading. We were both “in the zone” and it wasn’t until about 45 seconds past the junction with the Lincoln Brook trail that I realized we needed to turn. Albee has been out here much more than me in recent years, but he was engrossed in some story and didn’t see the turn. I was glad I said something as we might have kept going until we hit the Bondcliff trail 

We encountered our first group of hikers at the big water crossing on the Lincoln brook. They had picked a nice spot in the sun amongst the boulders to take a break. We bounced from rock to rock and just gave a “good morning” as we quickly crossed. We arrived at the base of the slide in 1:29:45. I drank a bit and had my first gel as we took a five minute break. Albee used the time to pull out a tent that he had noticed off the trail. It (along with a sleeping mat) had been rotting in the woods for at least two years. We took it apart and rolled it up and placed it more conspicuously near the trail, we didn’t have big enough packs to bring anything out with us.

We made our way up the slide pretty quickly, only stopping briefly to check out one of the views of the Franconia ridge with the moon rising over it. We passed a solo hiker about ½ way up and she noted that there was another hiker ahead of her. We hit the old summit and met up with the “hiker”. It was Ranger Steve making a rare trip up Owl’s Head. He had knocked down the cairn at the base of the slide trail and when we met up with him he was about to remove the blue arrow with “OWLHEAD” printed on it that pointed to the herd path and the true summit. We exchange pleasantries and headed off down the path. I had a couple of chuckles about this being a “trail-less summit” as we had no trouble making our way over. There was only one narrow part and none of it could be called a bushwhack.

We hit the summit in 2:21:41 or 46:55 from the base of the slide. We met up with a lone hiker who was taking a break at the top. Biff (spelled differently) told us this was her 45th of the 48. We chatted until Ranger Steve showed up and knocked down the cairn. I got a couple of pictures of the summit sign before he tore them down. After 10 minutes on the top we headed back down with Biff joining us. She told us some cool stories about through hiking the AT and some other hikes she’d done. We bumped into the other lone lady hiker as she was heading down the herd path. As we headed down the top of the slide we encountered “Bondcliff” (dog) and his owners as they powered on to the summit. We got some neat pictures on the open part of the slide and spent about 5 minutes chatting with the big group (six) who we had seen back at the big LB crossing. They called us “ultra-light” and I liked the sound of that, although my almost empty 16 oz. bottle had me thinking 32 oz. would have been better.

We reached the base of the slide in 3:23:32 or 53:29 since the summit. I was happy with that as I’m a lousy descender and as I tried to explain to Biff “I’m not afraid of heights, I’m not even afraid of falling…it’s the landing that scares me”. We parted company at the bottom after another gel and the last of my water we were off on the run in.

The 59 minutes from the base to the Lincoln woods trail went by quickly. Again we each took turns leading and had no trouble hopping from rock to rock on the stream crossings. We reached the LW trail at 4:23:19 into the run/hike and picked up the tempo for the final three miles. It was like running down a parade route as hikers, families, and bikers were all making there way out to Franconia Falls. We didn’t set any land speed records, but the 21:58 felt quick after being out for over four hours. The final tally was 4:45:17 for my 18th 4K’ of the Whites. Another fine day in the woods with Albee!

Pictures - http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s209/davedunham/OH Hike/

I got tired just reading the times that you two ran! Nice report and pictures.

Sorry about the ticket, interesting that you were there for the sign and cairn removal, simply amazing about the speeds you guys travel. :eek: I was huffy and puffing going up Flume Slide on Sunday; reading your times makes me feel like I must have been going backwards occasionally. :)

-dave-

Nice recap, Dave... Surprisingly, I feel fine today and I'm hoping to get out for at least a 5 mile run later. Soaking in the Pemi has such a therapeutic affect on one's legs! I ended up "climbing" Federal Hill in Milford and Warner Hill in East Derry on the way home. That makes 7 official fire towers in NH for me now... I need to send in for my patch! :)

A couple corrections:

Slightly exceeding the posted limit means 78 in a 65 on a downhill... gimme a break, officer!
Ranger Steve was actually Ranger Kevin.
Biff was actually Biphph, her AT trail name and short for Beth.
8.1 miles to the base of the slide was more like 9.5, no matter what the maps say!

Thanks for suggesting this run/hike... I had a blast!

And if you're reading this - Dave's split times aren't meant as bragging, he's just VERY numbers-oriented... he could tell you how many miles and how many minutes he has run for any given day in the last 27+ years!

David M - You would smoke me up or down the flume slide because I'd be frozen with fear. We did the Pemi loop last summer and I could barely get myself to look over the edge down the flume slide trail.

albee - congrats on the Firetowers. I have to start working on that list :)

Am I really number oriented? :rolleyes: 98,883 miles of running and counting (as of yesterday).

Nice report, cool to be up there for that :)

Nothing wrong with numbers!
alspal said:
Am I really number oriented? :rolleyes: 98,883 miles of running and counting (as of yesterday).
You gonna throw some sort of party for the 100K? Does your mileage roll over after that or only after you reach 1mil? ;)

My Opinion Only

alspal said:
I went with a two holster fanny pack but only carried 16 ounces of water, choosing to holster my camera. I also crammed in four Hammer ™ Gels a compass, map, whistle, and bug net into the pouch.

I have a problem with this type of action in the wilderness. While I'm sure a great many do this type of activity everyday without incident, going into the wilderness (again, this is only my opinion) with almost nothing is bordering on "Irresponsible".

You inadvertently put the responsibility of SAR on everyone you meet on the trail. All you have to do is turn an ankle, fall, hit your head, screw up a knee, become dehydrated, or any of a number of things, and POOF, now you're my responsibility.

OH YA... If SAR has to come and bring you out, now you have a bill far greater then the speeding ticket you received on the highway.

In the last two years I have opened my first-aid kit three time on the trail. Every time it has been because I have walked into a medical problem, and no one has a first-aid kit.

At least you should carry enough to combat someone (including yourself) from going into shock.

AGAIN...THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION

I'll be getting off my soapbox now. Hope I don't ruffle to many feathers.

Hike Safe Walker.

PS...Dave M....I was huffing and puffing up the Flume Slide on Sunday also. I wished you were faster, or I slower. I would have enjoyed meeting you in person. :)

I know my limits and abilities and have run in many places that were more dangerous than the LB trail. I've run in races of 50 miles and longer in the wild. I know what pace I can run and how long I can run at that pace. I've run the wilderness trail out/back to Thirtheen falls more than a dozen times in the last 20 years. I know the risks every time I step out the door. Thank you for your opinion.

Thank you for your concern. You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that.

Dave and I are both more than experienced enough to handle ourselves on a 17 mile trail run and a 3 mile hike. The two of us average 70 miles or running per week each, most of it on trails. We take pretty much the same risk every time we do our weekly long runs in the 90 degree heat (with no water bottles) on the trails in southern New Hampshire, many of which trails see even less traffic than we would find deep in the Pemi.

Between the two of us, we have gone to the summit or fully circumnavigated Owl's Head more than 17 times now. We travelled together to minimize the risk of getting lost or hurt alone. I am certified in First Aid and we are both certified in CPR. We could have shared water or drank from a brook if we got severely dehydrated - Giardia is always a risk but we're okay with that. Of course, there is always the potential of a bad accident happening, but when we travel light and fast we don't attempt any risky moves - getting hurt is the best way to ruin your pace per mile. It's not like we're launching off boulders on the stream crossings or careening out of control down the slide... everything is cautious and calculated, it might look or sound recklessly fast to you but these are our trained conditioned responses at work. (And a 9 minute mile is a jog compared to our average training pace!) These trails are no more dangerous than the ones we traverse every day... you just have to understand that we know what we're doing.

If we had come across someone else that was hurt and in need of help we could have run back to the ranger station to get medical assistance for them.

While we certainly don't advocate everyone doing what we do, this trip report was posted as an interesting story about the unique ways people enjoy the trails of the WMNF. You may not want to attempt this, but maybe some people would find it interesting to read about it. There are so many different levels of ability on the trails everyday, please understand that just because we're different doesn't make us less experienced or more irresponsible.

In the end, I had some mud on my calves and Dave got one of his feet wet at the beaver dam crossing on the way back. I'd say it turned out to be a pretty safe trip.

Dave is far too modest, he's won the Mt. Washington Road Race 3 times to the best of my knowledge. I think he's also been involved internationally in mountain running. Go Dave go!

53 minutes descending from the summit to get off the trail sounds pretty careful, I'm thinking I've been down quicker than that. (I'm forgetting the other numbers! ;) )

After that it's pretty tame terrain. I suppose one of the light thin space blankets would help for shock & not add a lot of weight.

Having hiked 11 days after breaking a bone in my foot, with a high pain threshold, you ought to be able to limp from the base of the slide home with a twisted or even a sprained ankle in the summer. Eight miles from a road sounds like a lot in the East (outside of ME) but how far is that really? 8 miles & few hundred feet downhill, if necessary "Hobble to a Hospital"

Neat you got the pictures of the sign & cairn 'they'll be back" but after 17 times, why bother with the camera?

There is always something new or different to take a picture of. I try to bring my camera on every hike.

Owl's head? I'll agree to disagree..

New thoughts, feelings & emotions while on the trail or thinking about old memories & friends (That said I'll probably bring my camera next time - only 3X & I;ll carry a bunch more...)

Half the reason I hike is spending time with my friends and meeting new people. There is always something or someone to take a picture of to commemorate the moment. (Unless all your freinds are sullen and scowling because you're dragging them ALL the way out to OH!) There were plenty of great views looking up or down the slide and across to Franconia Ridge. Lincoln Brook was beautiful in the dappled sunlight...

If you don't think there's anything photo-worthy about a trip to Owl's Head, you need to stop, take a look around, and appreciate the beauty of the wilderness.

alspal said:
I know my limits and abilities and have run in many places that were more dangerous than the LB trail. I've run in races of 50 miles and longer in the wild. I know what pace I can run and how long I can run at that pace. I've run the wilderness trail out/back to Thirtheen falls more than a dozen times in the last 20 years. I know the risks every time I step out the door. Thank you for your opinion.

Congrats for the speed run. I agreed with you about the small pack. On
saturday I done the pemiloop using only my 5 liters Osprey pack. In the
pack I had 3 liters of water,4 power bars, one dehydrated meat pack. On my
waist I had a very small pack with another 3 bars,map,compass,knife,head
lamp. In my pant pockets I had my camera,small first aid kit.
Hiking very light help a lots on long hike. :) :)

walker said:
I have a problem with this type of action in the wilderness. While I'm sure a great many do this type of activity everyday without incident, going into the wilderness (again, this is only my opinion) with almost nothing is bordering on "Irresponsible".

You inadvertently put the responsibility of SAR on everyone you meet on the trail. All you have to do is turn an ankle, fall, hit your head, screw up a knee, become dehydrated, or any of a number of things, and POOF, now you're my responsibility.

OH YA... If SAR has to come and bring you out, now you have a bill far greater then the speeding ticket you received on the highway.

In the last two years I have opened my first-aid kit three time on the trail. Every time it has been because I have walked into a medical problem, and no one has a first-aid kit.

At least you should carry enough to combat someone (including yourself) from going into shock.

AGAIN...THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION

I'll be getting off my soapbox now. Hope I don't ruffle to many feathers.

Hike Safe Walker.

PS...Dave M....I was huffing and puffing up the Flume Slide on Sunday also. I wished you were faster, or I slower. I would have enjoyed meeting you in person. :)

You're entitled to your opinion, but there are a lot of people doing these kinds of runs. Most (in fact, everyone I know) trailrunners are more experienced with being outdoors than the average "hiker". Beginner hikers who don't quite know what they are doing yet are at far greater risk and outnumber trailrunners significantly. Energy is better spent worrying about them, IMO.

Albee wrote

"If you don't think there's anything photo-worthy about a trip to Owl's Head, you need to stop, take a look around, and appreciate the beauty of the wilderness."

What I meant is I don't need anymore OH pictures or woods & river pictures. (as mentioned I'll likely still bring a camera ;) ) I also like the view of F-Ridge better from Cannon, Lonesome Lake & the Kinsmans. We have trees & rivers in CT. Undermountain & the AT when the Mt. Laurel are blooming IMO prettier than LW or FB trails.

I've just got to defend these two. As some one who races/rides road & mtn bikes in events like the Vermont 50 and the NH 100K. All I generally carry into the woods with me is a CO2 gun, a spare tube, patch kit, water and gu's.
I'll tell you right now, it is more dangerous to ride on the road then on the trails. I'd say from my experience that the same applies for running in general too.
Unless you're doing/done it, most people just don't understand the time and commitment and knowledge that these types of guys have.
I'd wager to say that any average fit joe can hike out to Owl's Head. These two however didn't just decide to run out on a whim. They've obviously got the conditioning and experience that it takes to do something like this.
As a conditioned athlete myself, I would only say 1 16 oz bottle per hour and a gu every 45-60 minutes is what I would have done as a cyclist on a 4+ hour event. I'm not a runner though and I don't know how their bodies work compared to mine.