Packing / folding saws recommendations.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
I'm an axe man but winter seems like the right time to carry a saw.

Had my eye on this 16" Japanese timber saw but not sure how the handle is secured and it's pricey ($70):

66M0201.jpg

I'm wondering what saws people carry with them to clear trail blowdowns and brush when out hiking or (trail)'workin. I realize you may not carry it in the winter but assume that I will.

Pruning (curved) saw, folding saw, bow saw?
Saw length?
What brands (Corona, Fanno, Silky, Bahco)?

If people carry pruning saws do they also use sheaths or scabbards to pack them?

Thanks.

If I were going solo with the intent of doing trail work in winter, I'd probably stick to using the ax for blowdown removal. I do have a one-man crosscut though, which has second handle on the far end so it can be used by two people (similar to this). That'd probably be my weapon of choice for trail work if I had someone with me. I don't think I'd want anything less, if trail work (in particular blowdown removal) was my main goal.

I purchased it for $20 at an antique store. Its an old Craftsman. Normally they retail for $100+. Look around, you might find a similar deal at an antique store near you...

For camping, I do have a smaller collapsible saw that I occasionally bring with me. Something along the lines of this... If you are really just looking for something for pruning and light trailwork like that, I wouldn't bother with anything fancier.

Last edited:
I carry a 21" Sven Folding Saw for trail maintenance: http://www.rei.com/product/404013/sven-folding-saw-21 Reasonably priced, light (17 oz), and cuts well. I've cut up to 8 inch logs with it. The saw blade stows in the handle. (Don't get the 15" model--it isn't nearly as good.)

I sometimes also carry a small Gerber folding saw (6" blade) for small stuff. http://www.rei.com/product/730550/gerber-gator-folding-wood-saw-with-sheath (doesn't seem to be available anymore). It also has the advantage that it fits in my pocket and has no setup time.

DSettahr,
I tried the Sawvivor saw--the frame was too flimsy for my taste. (The Sven is much sturdier.)

Some prior threads with info on saws (including more on the Sven saw):
* Favorite handsaw: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10186
* Trail Tools: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40151

Doug

Last edited:
I use two hand saws for trail work (besides the big two person crosscut!), I've got a silky "big boy" folding saw, and a fanno, not sure of the model (fl-1700?). The fanno is more durable, but heavier, and bulkier (leather scabbard, non-folding). The silky cuts just as fast, if not faster, but the blade is thin and easy to snap on the push stroke.

DSettahr,
I tried the Sawvivor saw--the frame was too flimsy for my taste. (The Sven is much sturdier.)

I certainly wouldn't ever use it for trailwork. I just carry it for cutting up firewood, usually stuff that's only about 2-4 inches in diameter. :)

Saw this and...

I carry an 8" Sierra saw and hand pruners in my pack all the time. Enough to remove small blowdowns, limb out blowdowns enough to get by, harvest fuel for the Esbit stove...

For actual trailwork I have a Stanley toolbox saw or a two sided pruning saw about 18" long. They are in cases made of sheet plastic pop-riveted together with a nylon strap and Fastex buckle to keep them in their guards: a little project by Uncle Ray.

This year I may upgrade to a folder with more aggressive teeth to cut faster.

Re: the Sawvivor
I certainly wouldn't ever use it for trailwork. I just carry it for cutting up firewood, usually stuff that's only about 2-4 inches in diameter. :)
IIRC, I tested it by cutting a root or branch (close to the ground) on the order of that size. The frame flexed allowing the blade to bend. (Yes, I know that one shouldn't press down on a bow saw.) It went back in the pack and I used the Sven for the rest of the day. I returned it a few days later.

I was using the 15" version (10 oz)--I see they also make an 18" version. (The review is of the 18" version.)

While looking for the specs on the 18" version, I stumbled over a review of the Sawvivor from another user who went back to his Sven: http://www.amazon.com/review/R26Q1Q...&ASIN=B003ZKVC18&nodeID=286168&tag=&linkCode=

Have you tried the Sven? It's a bit heavier, but worth the weight IMO. Mine is over 35 years old and still going strong.

Doug

I have a 7" Carona pruning saw:

I have been amazed at the stuff I can cut up with this. My wife stole it for a day and got rid of a bunch of small stuff around the yard. Fits in the side pocket of my pack.

Tim

Thanks all. I'd love to get a silky bigboy folding saw someday but I am concerned about the durability. It's not like I haven't snapped a folding saw before.

For now I picked up a Fiskar 10" folding saw at Home Depot. Since axe(s) are my main tool (I have 20 axes in various stages of use or rehab), no need to spend lots of money on a saw. Nice to have a backup and something to handle the small stuff which an axe ain't so great or safe at.

I carry a swedish brush ax for boundary line clearance/maintenance but would not recomend it for normal trail maintenance. Its great for cutting out a blowdown quickly and easy to sharpen in the field plus the length of the handle and weight of the head cuts down on fatigue. When I used to survey it was our "weapon" of choice. For initial line clearing its hard to beat. After the 98 ice storm I used it extensively for clearing large blowdown patchs.

That said, I wouldnt recomend if for trail maintenance use when widening out a trail or cutting back small firs and other encroachments, as its real easy to leave "punji sticks" which are short stubs with sharpened points. I have used it occasion on hobble bush but its marginal at best.

Oh my gosh. I did not see that Silky had such a saw as the Big Boy. I have used a myriad of standard sized different folding saws over the years with all levels of success. One I was initially excited about was a Florian that had a longer blade and turned out to be very handy not only for a patient larger cut, but also the extra reach serving as a mini pole pruner. Unfortunately this saw continues to have a cheap plastic catch that I (or cohort) have manged to break on 3 saws. This brand does have a hand pruner that continues to be worth mention.

I have had a Silky Potcketboy for at least 6 years that has proven to be the absolute best handsaw I have ever used with even frequent unacceptably abusive use. A pocket saw that is under the standard size, which I like since you can ski or hike with it in a front pant pocket without it pinching you while bending- But I rarely hesitate to push it to cut things that I know I shouldn't.

Silky has a real durable and I think the best constructed blade/handle catch system of all metal, and what I have observed as a top blade performer for durability and ease of keeping shape with a high tolerance before snapping. I would expect the same quality on the Big Boy model, and quite frankly you have made my day since I was on the verge of buying the 10" one I had seen in Garrett Wade catalog. Just browsing the Silky site I see there is more variety than I imagined.

I don't do trail work in the Adirondacks unless it's sanctioned. :)

For camping in an area that allows fires I use this

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Gerber-Camp-Saw-with-Slide-Folding-Blade/productinfo/TO-46048/

Cheap and easy, I only need to cut part way through a branch to break it in half. Anything bigger I burn in half and keep putting the pieces back in the fire. All deadwood scrounged on the ground of course.

I carry one of these camping and for day hikes

http://tigzoo.com/2010/07/18/pro-force-commando-steel-wire-survival-saw-2/

The rings are tough on the fingers unless you put a stout stick through the rings. I've turned it into a bow saw for bigger or longer jobs. Cheap too.

Last edited:
I'm a Sthil guy... for trail work and cruising I always carry my 12" PS 90 arborculture saw in its plastic quick attach scabbard. Razor sharp and slices through sugar maple like a hot knife through butter. An investment though at about $100 & only through a Sthil dealer (look up your local chainsaw shop). Awesome hand saw!!!

For helpers I always have a couple of Fiskars slide-locking 6" pruning saws w/belt clip available at most hardware stores for $10-20. A great cheap saw that I won't care what happens to it. The blades sometimes bend my only complaint.

For what it's worth, that's what I recommend :)