Pemi Loop 09/04/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
No slidin' today. Been training up for a one day Pemi Loop, which NH_Mtn_Hiker and I tackled today. Clouds and wind up Franconia Ridge kept us cool and comfy. We're back in one piece... er.. two separate pieces... had a blast but my enchiladas are warm, my homebrew stout is poured, and I'm t-i-r-e-d.

Will publish more detailed TR later.

Dr Wu - where are you - think we found a slide route up Hellgate Ravine for you.

Dugan said:
Dr Wu - where are you - think we found a slide route up Hellgate Ravine for you.
Right here waiting for your TR.

PM me w/ Details about Bondcliff... I think I'm just going to have to go and look for myself. I have a challenging hike that I think you might be interested in as well...

-Dr. Wu

To begin at the beginning... NH_Mtn_Hiker and I began our Pemi Loop at 5:45 am (if high mileage exhaustion memory serves) Sunday morning as we crossed the suspension bridge to begin the Lincoln Woods Trail. The forecast predicted a blue-sky day - sunny, dry, warm, and breezy in the Whites. Little did they know how Franconia Notch provides its very own weather system.

We saw a couple of illegal campsites set up on the Osseo Trail, one of which was set up exactly where I intended to water up. Unlike NH, I opted to go light on water and carry my water filter for fill ups along the way. The sun rose as we ascended. It was quickly swallowed by the clouds we saw massed in Franconia Notch as we got off 93 in Lincoln. Little did we know that was the last we'd see of sunshine 'til Guyot late in the afternoon.

We zoomed up Osseo, boogied across Flume (too chilly and windy to stop for long), paused between Liberty and Flume for the first snack of the day, then took off for Little Haystack. We kept going... good thing I took numerous pics of Lincoln Slide on my Semi-Pemi west-half loop a couple of weeks ago for NH to scout 'cause we couldn't see even a bit of it on this cloud-filled morning. We reached Lafayette around 11 with only a few other people in sight. We followed a young man in a kilt off the summit (he was FAST!!!).

Thus began the Garfield Ridge Trail, the slowest section of the day. It was wet but not soaked after Katrina. The descending wet sections slowed us (okay, me) considerably as we made our way to Garfield. From Garfield, there were spectacular views of... more clouds! Somewhere along the way, NH and I both pulled on our knee braces (doesn't it suck to get old?) and pushed on to Galehead Hut.

The Hut was crowded. I quickly fell face first into my lunch, devouring spoonfuls red beans & rice as fast as I could swallow, while NH ate yet another granola bar. We borrowed the hut's bird book to discover that the woodpecker we spotted somewhere along the way was a Black-Backed Woodpecker. In addition, we spotted 3 Spruce Grouse along the way. After a quick knee evaluation, we both decided to push on up South Twin, rather than ditch out down Twin Brook.

And what an up to South Twin it was... our last big up the day. Lunch definitely had not made it to my legs yet! We both "ouched" and "oyed" our way down south Twin. The up to Guyot helped a great deal with all of our achey knees. By then (5 pm ish - by now the speed record of several weeks ago was now a few hours gone????) we were finally seeing some of the predicted sunshine. We made our way south along Bondcliff Trail eventually looking east into Hellgate Ravine. NH stepped somewhat off trail (very carefully avoiding any delicate alpine vegetation) with my camera to photo some of the slides in Hellgate Ravine. Dr. Wu - if you're out there - we spotted a very likely looking route. With some views, we also spotted some likely looking slides in other areas (anyone wanna go slide 'whackin????).

We finally reached the summit of Bondcliff as the sun disappeared behind clouds lingering over Lafayette. We dropped below tree line just before sunset (yay, my goal achieved!) and kept walking. And kept walking, and walking. I was mumbling something about headlamps for quite a while but couldn't seem to stop walking (car, must reach car) until NH stepped in front of me and stopped. Thus stopped, I put away my ball cap, we got out our headlamps, then devoured the last of my home-baked 'smores squares (positively addictive sugar buzz). We kept on going, reached the Bondcliff landmark of the hairpin drainage turn.

Somewhere along the way I thought I hallucinated a burning ember on the tip of a curl of birch bark in the indirect glow of my headlamp. I called NH to look at this oddity. As he picked up the bark, we saw the ember was actually the firey orange glow of a moth's eye. Very odd and very cool. We saw (or maybe hallucinated) lights indicating illegal campsites as we made our way to the Wilderness Trail. From there, we set a relatively quick pace back to the car.

Never was I so glad for a chauffeur!!! As NH changed his shoes (who needs fresh shoes?), I sat down in the passenger seat in my sweaty hiker gear and said, "Home, Jeeves!" We saw an open Irving station in Lincoln where I bought a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby to celebrate completing a Pemi Loop.

Somewhere along the drive back I took off my knee braces in his car... 'phew! what a stench! I couldn't have asked for a better cairn fixin', rock hoppin', car drivin', slide scoutin', humor filled hiking partner to complete this massive hike with.

Stinkyfeet - and you added Owl's Head to this????

Wahoo!!! What's next?!?!?!

(ps gotta sleep for a couple of more days before whatever comes next!)

Edit: Trail conditions overall excellent. A few new blow downs, nothing that wasn't easily crossed. The bees on Osseo were inactive, whether due to early morning temps or ranger-delivered chemicals.

Last edited:
Wow, congrats! You guys are definitely a good team. I'm up for slide 'whackin anytime; now that I've done Arrow...I'm addicted.

A presi traverse and a pemi loop in, what, the same week? Amazing. What's next?

Absolutely AWESOME day... and who would have thought you could hike the Pemi Loop on two hours of sleep then drive home without the car ever touching the guardrails. :D

What's next Dugan....the Hut-to-Hut Traverse? :D :D

Notes:
While moths may be attracted to light....Dugan's are attracted to the light reflected from a moths eyes. :rolleyes:

Spruce Grouse have got to be the laziest birds on the planet.

Thru-hikers brake for free food.

Though it's illegal to camp within 1/4 mile of the Lincoln Woods Trail, this rule apparently doesn't apply to large groups.

The best hiking partners are those who bring along yummy snacks to share with others.:D :D

You guys amaze me.......great job!

NH.....I will take your hint about 'yummy snacks to share with others' but I can't begin to compete with Dugan or her home baked goodies...my knees are in good shape though.....
Congratulations!

....Jade

Congrats Dugan and NH Mtn HIker!
Sounds like a great (but long) day. From first hand experience, I'm sure the Dugan treats are what helped you get through to the final stretch :)

Geri

Were we nuts??? I hadn't realized the Presi Traverse and Pemi Loop were within a week of each other. And no, I don't plan to follow that up with a Hut Traverse this coming weekend, or any other weekend!

Jade - no need to worry, I brought extra treats to have leftovers. NH has received STRICT instructions that some should be saved for your Owl's Head outing.

Yes, Dugan four-legs warmed the couch for this one.

At just 3.5 years, he's a bit young for me to ask him to do this kind of mileage though he does well with high teens. Also, he's not very good at scrambling so parts of this hike would've been significantly slower if not impossible with him. I'm not sure he could've managed the drop to below tree line on Bondcliff Trail at all, and at 125 lbs he's far too heavy for me to carry!

My previous dog was my first serious hiker-dog (a Great Pyrenees). He accompanied me on some +30's, though never with as rough footing as the Pemi Loop. A day of sleep and he'd be raring to go again! Even so, I don't think I'd've asked him to try a Pemi Loop.

Way to go Dugan & NH Mtn Hiker!! (Look, you're gettin' me to post again).
You're knocking off the traverses like nobody's business!

I add my congrats to you guys. Did I miss at what time you got out to Lincoln Woods? It is long day in any case, unless you are an ultra-runner!

I was really humbled by the northern Presi traverse and out over Isolation on the 27th of August, as I had hoped to double back and go out over the southern Presi's to join JohnL's Old Faht's Club; maybe next year.

Guy with the Kilt

The guy with the Kilt was most likely Lojack,a Nobo we met near Ethan Pond,took his pic with Neighbor,off he went.....Hello' I am Lojack,do you need a hikin Partner.......Those Nobo's are fast! :)