Pemi Loop Jan 24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we did. Is that where you can go off to the right (when ascending) and get the nice view?

At the first height of land, there's perhaps a 100 yard bushwhack through some spruce - you then emerge in some v-a-s-t ledges, looking at Chocorua, Carter Ledge, the Green Hills, and beyond.

I am glad you had a great weekend in the Whites, dangergirl. Climbing up to Bondcliff with heavy packs must have been quite a workout - at least you guys were well-supplied with food and gear. I am sure the sleds were fine on the approach and it is always good to practise with them but they are a piece of work on steep terrain, especially when descending.

Great meeting you on the trail! Right decision to turn, it will still be there for another day.

We were wondering how it would work out with the sleds...

Hope to see you on the trails again!

Lots of our pics are the same..it looked so nice on the summit....:cool:

I was with Frodo's group

Darlene

The sleds were great on the flat sections but the uphill and downhills were tough. They also added too much weight to our packs. We will not use them next time, but it was really cool to try them! Nice to meet you guys! Hope your hike was great too!!!!! :)

I agree that sleds are more trouble than they are worth in the Whites. One winter on our Pemi ski-through someone brought a sled, which was a major pain in Zealand Notch, not so bad on the Shoal Pond Trail, but then a nightmare on the side hilling along the upper Wilderness Trail between Stillwater and the Thoreau Falls Trail junction. "Never again" this person said.

Sleds are nice for the trips into Roaring Brook or Nesowdahunk for climbing in Baxter State Park, and even all the way into Chimney Pond if you have good ski technique for the trip back down to Roaring Brook.

Perhaps s basic first principles rule might be that if you cannot easily ski a route, a sled will be more of a curse than a blessing.

True. It all depends on the terrain you are covering. We once did a fun sled trip from Hancock Notch Trail on the Kanc, through the southern Pemi, ending at the Nancy Pond trailhead on 302. The smallest of inclines are seemingly insurmountable with a sled. And you lose a lot of time regrouping if you crash and burn on a puncheon. Still, it was a lot of fun, probably because the grade wasn't too bad. Anything more than a RR bed and you're asking for a lot of unnecessary work that could be accomplished more easily by carrying a backpack.