Pemi Ski Thru 2/20-2/25

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kltilton

Reaction score
North Conway, NH Avatar: Skiing on Ethan Pond Trai
Is anyone interested in a Pemi Ski Through in a couple of weeks? It seems like the snow is good enough and most of the stream crossings are frozen. I'm not looking to do it as fast as possible. Just a nice long easy ski through the woods. I was thinking of skiing in through Zealand Rd. or the Spruce Goose Trail, Ethan Pond Trail, Shoal Pond Trail, and out the Wilderness Trail.

If anyone would like to share any past experiences it would be great to hear them. Thanks.

Doug,

I don't know if things have changed there, but the last time I skied Spruce Goose about 4 years ago, it was a blast. There does, however, need to be some snow on it. I find the Zealand Road deadly boring (with a heavy pack, I'd change my mind).

audrey said:
Doug,

I don't know if things have changed there, but the last time I skied Spruce Goose about 4 years ago, it was a blast. There does, however, need to be some snow on it. I find the Zealand Road deadly boring (with a heavy pack, I'd change my mind).
OK.
IIRC, Dave Metsky had some negative comments.
Haven't skied it myself.

In any case, the traverse is 21 miles and efficiency is the order of the day. The road is flat, easy, fast, and efficient.

Doug

I am part of a group that has attempted a one-day Pemi ski-through each winter, with last year being our first miss (because of lack of snow) since our first attempt in 1982 (balied because of extreme cold in January). We usually run our trip the last Saturday of February or the first Saturday of March (this year we are scheduled for February 24th, although I may not make it myself because of a shoulder issue). Only once did a few try the Spuce Goose Trail, but never again, as it adds at least an hour if not two to the trip. The Zealand Road is fine, as it makes for an excellent warm up. On years that the road is plowed for logging, such as this winter, the road is still usually skiable along the edge. Also, we try to skip the temptation to stop at Zool Hut, as that can easily add another hour to the trip. We mix it up between the Thoreau Falls (about 21 miles) and the Shoal Pond (about 23 miles) variants, and our times usually fall between about 6 hours (mostly when we were a lot younger) and 9 to 10 hours (now that we are older), depending on snow conditions. Usually we find ourselves breaking trail once we leave the Ethan Pond Trail until we come out onto the Wilderness Trail. One year a couple pulled a plastic sled, but never again, as mauevering the sled along side slopes such as a few places in Zealand Notch and on the upper Wilderness Trail was a nightmare. Nearly all of us use light-weight gear, mostly waxables, some skis with edges, but most not. We usually carry one bivi sack, one sleeping bag, and one foam pad for the entire group, but we have not left anyone in the woods yet. We try to begin at 8 am sharp, and find a place in North Woodstock or Lincoln to drink beer and eat food at the end of the day (usually at least one person needs to drive others back around to the start point to retrieve vehicles before drinking). Only one canine whose human was into ski-jouring has completed the route with us; they got into the hut in less than an hour from the parking lot on Rt. 302, but then took their time with us the rest of the way. The Pemi one-day ski-through is one of my favorite tips in the Whites.

We did it acouple of years ago as a snowshoe traverse we did it a a two day overnight.
Shoal Pond was actually plan B and we were greatly indebted to two skiers we said if plan A failed (Thoreau Tr) then we could follow their fresh tracks .(they had slept at Zealand hut so they were starting fresh)
It was a huge help as we would have easily gotten lost as the trail became confusing as it neared the Wilderness trail.

So while we learned it was a nice ski route, we also learned how important good conditions were. As a couple of weeks later we learned that a fellow and his dog were doing a shortened version.... ran out of energy and did a forced overnight in temps similar to our trip.... -20.
Big difference though..it cost him both his feet

Though I think the ski trip would be a big day and a lot of fun, I just want to say ..watch those temps...

(now that I read the above post I wanted to say the guy I mentioned was on foot (I think) solo..I think it just a coincidence that we both mention a dog)

Last edited:
The Armadillos are tentatively planning a Pemi ski-through this Saturday, February 24th, and another on March 10th (different members). We will meet at Lincoln Woods at 7 am, spot vehicles there, and then drive around to meet others at the parking lot on Rt. 302 a little east of the Zealand Road, which we will ski along the edge for the first mile or so that has been plowed for logging. We usually do not decide on the Thoreau Falls or Shoal Pond variations until we get a feel for snow conditions in Zealand Notch, but with the deep snow and frozen streambeds underneath, this might be an ideal winter for Thoreau Falls. Mostly likely there will be lots of breaking trail between Zealand Notch and the Wilderness Trail.

Please reply before Friday morning if you are interested in joining us; I will not have email access after about 9 am.

spider solo said:
We did it acouple of years ago as a snowshoe traverse we did it a a two day overnight.
Shoal Pond was actually plan B and we were greatly indebted to two skiers we said if plan A failed (Thoreau Tr) then we could follow their fresh tracks .(they had slept at Zealand hut so they were starting fresh)
It was a huge help as we would have easily gotten lost as the trail became confusing as it neared the Wilderness trail.
When I skiied the lolipop route (car at lincoln woods, out via Thoreau Falls Tr and back via Shoal Pnd Tr) I had some trail finding difficulty on TFT (in the light), but little difficulty on SPT (in the dark). There was one wide spot inside a river bend on SPT which might have been a problem, but I had been there before and knew generally where to go.

Though I think the ski trip would be a big day and a lot of fun, I just want to say ..watch those temps...
A long trip deep in the wilderness. Wait for good conditions and bring a headlamp.

Doug

Could not rally enough folks for car spots this past Saturday the 24th, but we are planning a Pemi ski-through for this Saturday, March 3rd. If anyone is interested, we will meet at Lincoln Woods on Kanc at 7 am to spot cars, then drive around for start on Rt. 302 about 8 am. You can also reply to this post, or pm me before about noon Tuesday the 27th, after which I may not have access to email.

Failed to rally the troops again this past weekend, but there is a plan afoot for this Saturday, March 10th (7 am at Lincoln Woods; 8 am at Rt. 302 Zealand Road start point).

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Failed to rally the troops again this past weekend, but there is a plan afoot for this Saturday, March 10th (7 am at Lincoln Woods; 8 am at Rt. 302 Zealand Road start point).

Three of us completed the north -south Pemi ski-through via Shoal Pond on Saturday, March 10th. For the first time in our 22-year history of doing this traverse, the entire route was packed out, which was a good thing, as the waxless skis that I chose to use this year were really slow. Fuller report posted on NH Trail Conditions.