Pennsylvania Packing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soco7tyx7

Reaction score
does anyone know of any good hikes in PA? i'm thinking between a 20-40 mile hike to do in a couple weeks that's not too far south. what are the bugs like this time of year? any suggestions are welcome.

Are you looking for Western Pa or East? The North Central/North Western part of the state has good hiking around the Allegheny NF. If you are thinking of this area let me know, it's my back yard. The bugs aren't too bad now, but darn it's humid.

I've always wanted to do the West Rim Trail in the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. I have driven through there and it seems like very nice country. I've heard many good things about the trail over the years.

42.24 miles - The Black Forest Trail. It was one of my favorites for many years when I lived in Western NY. Hike it in the next 2 weeks and you willl be walking in a sea of Pink and White Mountain Laurel blossoms. The trail has may ups and downs and has some rugged sections that are an absolute blast. Usually start and finish at the village of Slate Run in PA (more secure parking) or in the big lot off Rte 44 South of the village of Black Forest.

82 miles - Susquehannock Trail System. Though not as rugged as the BFT and with more gradual grades, it is an awesome trail to head out on. There are many loop & connector trails here so you could easily make a smaller loop trip. Again - You'll be in a Sea of Mountain Laurel. there are many trailheads along this loop. You can start at the Northern District Rangers office (good parking) and have cold soft drinks awaiting you at Ole Bull State Park and even do a mail drop when you backpack through the village of Cross Forks at the southern end.

32 Miles - The West Rim Trail From Cedar Run to Ansonia. You can get a shuttle at Pine Creek Outfitters (Chuck Dillon 570-724-3003) in Ansonia. Many nice vistas - Especially the northern half. You will absolutely marvel at the Mountain Laurel blossoms here. There aren't as many ups and downs as the first 2 trails. but it can be challenging. Don't forget the ice cream at Ansonia Gulf, at the Northern Terminus.

The only time the bugs might be annoying is at stream and creek crossings at lower els. Otherwise, I love hiking in PA - no Mud, No Bugs and no Crowds

BTW, I've thruhiked these trails a few times as well as leading many ADK backpacktrips on them - Feel free to ping me with a PM and I'd be glad to answer any questions and give you some tips on great camping areas specific to these trails.
Good Luck
Rick

Last edited:
my computer and internet have been down so i havent been able to respond latley, but i was thinking either northern/central PA. i dont want to get too far south because it ends up being quite a drive for a weekend trip since i live in Rochester, NY. i did read up on a few trails (west rim and black forest) on thebackpacker.com and they sounded pretty sweet.

Rick (or anyone with suggestions) - would you reccommend doing one over the other (west rim/black forest)? and are there plentiful water sources along both trails? if i do end up doing either it will be within the next 2-3 weeks. any and all other suggestions are welcome. thanx

West Rim Trail

I live in PA just about 20 minutes from the start of the West Rim Trail. Some friends and I hiked it last summer and it is about 30 miles. It was a good time. I highly recommend this hike! If you decide to do the WRT let me know I might tag along.

Adam

Appalachian Trail

There's always the Appalachian Trail that cuts diagonally across the state. Plenty of shelters, plenty of water. You can experience the ice-cream gluttony at Pine Grove Furnace, the rattlers on Peters Mt., the St. Anthony's Wilderness and the beer in Duncannon. And you can buy an inexpensive map kit for the whole trail.

Thunderswamp Trail in the Poconos in NE Pa fits that description. Someone mentioned it above. The link www.dcnr.state.pa.us ought to have a map specifically of this trail. Its fairly flat and does not have much in the way of viewpoints. There is no swamp to speak of(I believe the YCC gave it a fanciful name). It does pass thru some beautiful forest with scattered rock formations and a couple ponds. Its mainly hardwoods and hemlocks and is beautiful. I think the trail is 25 miles with 19 miles of side trails or some such. My brother and I hiked it last spring and no real problem with bugs. We were in April though.
The West Rim Trail has the most scenic views of the trails mentioned and is much hillier than Thunderswamp. I've never been on the logger's Path but heard its a good trail.
Keystone Trails Association has a site with a lot of info about hiking in Pa.
Also you could get more info from www.pa.state.us on Pa State Parks.

717 787 2014 is a phone number for the department of forestry and you can request maps of state forests from them. They have pretty good maps. The West Rim Trail should be in Tioga State Forest.
The Black Forest Trail is 42 miles long and is on The Tiadaghton State Forest Map.

Have fun! That North Central part of the State is really nice. If you end up there, think about going to Rickett's Glen State Park which is situated on a natural fault line in the Allegheny Mountains and has a trail with 37 named waterfalls along it. Tral is only 5 or 6 miles long but really cool and the waterfalls feel great on a hot day.