Petition to change the name of Mt Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you rename Mount Washington for the philosophy proposed you have to rename them all - Lincoln, Jefferson, Pierce, Adams, Madison, Monroe etc.....etc....etc....Basically every mountain, feature, town and place name of a non-native person who lived before like the year 2008. It will be a lot of renaming.
And a lot of expense to change zillions of maps and signs.
And we can do that, but we just have to know and accept that that is what's going to happen - if we rename Washington, it will logically follow to renaming all of them.

Personally, I won't be happy until there is a Chris Farley and John Belushi Mountain somewhere, but that is a different story.....
I spent a bit of time looking for pre-existing Native American names for those other peaks that you list, but could not find any, so no need to rename them, in my opinion, just the tallest one that already had a name, before the White Man renamed It.

This thread has a long way to go to catch up with “mountain lions in New England,” but it has potential.

The city of Chattanooga was once a Cherokee trading post on the Tennessee River. Until the late 1830s, it was called Ross' Landing after Chief John Ross of the Cherokee tribe. Ross was only 1/8th Cherokee, but according to tribal law, he was a Cherokee even though he looked a lot more like his Scotch-Irish ancestors than a Cherokee. When the European immigrants moving north out of Georgia seized the Cherokee's land and sent them west on the Trail of Tears, they renamed the city with what some consider a fake Native American name, Chattanooga. So, the place was run by a man who was 7/8th white and it was known by a European name when it was under Cherokee control, and then was renamed with an Indian sounding name when it was taken over by the European interlopers. Go figure.

It's called THE PRESIDENTIAL Range. If you change Washington, the entire Mountain Range title becomes senseless and incongruent.
And like I said, you will undoubtedly have to change zillions of other place names. Mark my words.

Skiguy - I like the idea of an SNL Range. That is a fantastic idea. Lol!

It's called THE PRESIDENTIAL Range. If you change Washington, the entire Mountain Range title becomes senseless and incongruent.
And like I said, you will undoubtedly have to change zillions of other place names. Mark my words.

Skiguy - I like the idea of an SNL Range. That is a fantastic idea. Lol!
Not really, as there are several peaks in the Presidential Range not named after presidents, like Clay, Franklin, Webster, and Jackson.

Not really, as there are several peaks in the Presidential Range not named after presidents, like Clay, Franklin, Webster, and Jackson.
Not sure but I think Spencer might be referring to place names that bear the use of "Mount Washington's" name. As peakbagger has already mentioned. For example the Autoroad.

Three of those make sense, but our 7th President might like a word with you on that last one... ;)

Took almost 24 hours for someone to take my bait; I would make a lousy fisher-person.

Charles Thomas Jackson (1805-1880) initiated New Hampshire’s Geological Survey in 1839 and was New Hampshire’s first State Geologist.

The Town of Jackson replaced our 7th President Andrew Jackson with C.T. Jackson as its namesake in 2021, interesting to me as I had assumed that the town was already named after C.T.

EDIT: There is more to the Town of Jackson naming story, which was initially named New Madbury, then changed to Adams in 1800 to honor our second President. Later on, New Hampshire Governor Benjamin Pierce encouraged voters in Adams to change the town’s name to honor Andrew Jackson, which they did over much contention in 1829. Of the first 12 Presidents, John Adams and J.Q. Adams were the only two not to own slaves, whereas Andrew Jackson owned more slaves than any President, reportedly 116 at his death. Also intriguing, in 1824, J.Q. Adams was appointed our sixth President by the Henry Clay-led House of RepresentatIves as the highest electoral vote-getter Andrew Jackson did not earn a majority of electoral votes with four candidates splitting the vote. Jackson immediately began campaigning again for President and won handily in 1828.

A long-time friend and White Mountains historian who lurks here also just reminded me that Mount Washington was not renamed after a President but rather a General.

Now, what to do with the names Mount Lincoln and Mount Garfield, which are misplaced away from the Presidential Range?

Last edited:
Not to mention Cleveland and Clinton.
Thanks for the set up, Grey J.

Yes, Cleveland Mountain is named after Grover “Ma, Ma, Where’s My Pa” Cleavlend, 22nd and 24th President of the United States and one of only two Democrats elected President between 1861 and 1933. At age 47, he was one of only two bachelors to become President, but at age 49 married 21-year-old Francis Folsom. Grover Cleveland also was our all-time, second heaviest President.

Mount Clinton was named after New York Governor DeWitt Clinton in the 1800s, then renamed Mount Pierce in 1913 after New Hampshire’s only President, but the name did not get much traction until the 1970s.

Jackson was named after a geologist, not a president
The point being, there WAS a president with that name, where there were NOT presidents named Clay, Webster or Franklin.

Thus, even if named for someone else, it still sounds like it belongs to a Presidential range!

The point being, there WAS a president with that name, where there were NOT presidents named Clay, Webster or Franklin.

Thus, even if named for someone else, it still sounds like it belongs to a Presidential range!
Precisely...Mt Jackson identifies as a presidential peak;)

High point of Wales formerly known as Mount Snowden recently returned to its original name Yr Wyddfa. Just a matter of time before Mount Washington returns to its original name Agiocochook (or Agiochook).

High point of Wales formerly known as Mount Snowden recently returned to its original name Yr Wyddfa. Just a matter of time before Mount Washington returns to its original name Agiocochook (or Agiochook).
So how about Mount Rushmore? Are you already signed on with the jackhammer to chisel Washington’s face off?🫠

Last edited:
So how about Mount Rushmore? Are you already signed on with the jackhammer to chisel Washington’s face off?🫠
Jack hammers no longer the tool of choice, having given way to Browning torch drills years ago, as used for the nearby Crazy Horse monument In NW South Dakota. Speaking of which, the high point of South Dakota had its name changed from Harney Peak, named in 1855 after General William S. Harney, who massacred thousands of Lakota Sioux, to Black Elk Peak, the great Lakota Medicine Man, who is featured in the classic book ‘Black Elk Speaks’ (1932). Getting rid of names of murderous White Men for mountains long overdue, in my opinion.

Jack hammers no longer the tool of choice, having given way to Browning torch drills years ago, as used for the nearby Crazy Horse monument In NW South Dakota. Speaking of which, the high point of South Dakota had its name changed from Harney Peak, named in 1855 after General William S. Harney, who massacred thousands of Lakota Sioux, to Black Elk Peak, the great Lakota Medicine Man, who is featured in the classic book ‘Black Elk Speaks’ (1932). Getting rid of names of murderous White Men for mountains long overdue, in my opinion.
The Lakota Sioux were one of the most violent tribes in the Americas. As the Pawnee who were massacred by the Sioux. Eliminating one group of 'murderous' people's monuments in favor of another group of 'murderous' people's monuments is a slippery slope.

When you say "murderous white men" it does border on sounding racist. Let's be honest, the Native Americans living in the west when the expansion was occurring, were not exactly handing out pies to welcome the settlers.

When you say "murderous white men" it does border on sounding racist. Let's be honest, the Native Americans living in the west when the expansion was occurring, were not exactly handing out pies to welcome the settlers.
Sometimes they welcomed the settlers with open arms, until the settlers starting thinking the land was theirs. The Lewis and Clark expedition would have been wiped out except for the kindness of the Nez Perce tribes. 70 years later, the government returned that kindness by trying to wipe out the Nez Perce. In Idaho and Montana, the Lewis and Clark trail and the Nez Perce flight travel the same mountains and trails. If you ever have the chance to visit the "Heart of the Monster", a sacred place to the Nez Perce. I could feel the energy and magic when my wife and I visited.

Sometimes, the one tribe tried playing off the White Man off on another tribe, such as the Pawnee. The Native tribes were still people, with all the same rivalies and jealousies and ambition as the European settlers. The Pawnee and Sioux were old enemies, ever since the Soiux were pushed out of the Northwest territories, their ancestral home, by European immigrants.

Sometimes they welcomed the settlers with open arms, until the settlers starting thinking the land was theirs. The Lewis and Clark expedition would have been wiped out except for the kindness of the Nez Perce tribes. 70 years later, the government returned that kindness by trying to wipe out the Nez Perce. In Idaho and Montana, the Lewis and Clark trail and the Nez Perce flight travel the same mountains and trails. If you ever have the chance to visit the "Heart of the Monster", a sacred place to the Nez Perce. I could feel the energy and magic when my wife and I visited.

Sometimes, the one tribe tried playing off the White Man off on another tribe, such as the Pawnee. The Native tribes were still people, with all the same rivalies and jealousies and ambition as the European settlers. The Pawnee and Sioux were old enemies, ever since the Soiux were pushed out of the Northwest territories, their ancestral home, by European immigrants.
I'm sure that's true and I'm in no way suggesting that the native Americans were always treated well, but it goes both ways and making blanket statements about any race is never a good thing. .

Status
Not open for further replies.