Photo Gallery - prints for sale to support the site

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
I have put together a gallery of some of my better photographs and I am offering prints of them for sale. I have done this for two reasons. First of all, I have had several requests from friends and site readers for prints of my photographs. The second reason is purely monetary. After the site crash last weekend, I had to upgrade my web hosting account for the second time in less than a year. More readers equals more disk space usuage and more traffic. The cost of the web hosting and software licensing fees adds up and it is becoming expensive for me to run the site.

I would rather not put banner ads on the site. I would also rather not get a site sponsor, since I feel this would prevent the complete objectivity this site offers now.

So, if you get a chance, check out my photo gallery. You might see something you like or something that you could give as a present. Please pass the link onto other people you think might be interested. Hopefully I can keep this site ad free (other than my own shameless plug :eek: ) and you can get some cool art for your walls.

Feedback is always appreciated.

- darren

Click here to see the Photo Print Gallery

jwynn9154 said:
Beautiful work.

Prices???

JW

Thank you. If you click on any of the small image thumbnails, you will see a bigger copy of the image. Below the image, there will be a link to "Click Here to Purchace". Full information on print sizes and pricing will be displayed.

Thank you again for the compliment.

- darren

Darren,
After seeing the tractor seat with Purple Loosestrife (?? Only purple flowr I can think of) in the alpine flowers thread, I immediately thought of a VFTT Calendar.
In addition to the calendar, the back of each page could have things such as
Backpack gear checklist,
Winter gear checklist,
Map of the whites
First aid kit ingredients
common backcountry knowledge or distilled wisdom
Telephone number of outfitters, outdoor groups, ranger stations and such
I thought this would make a wonderful present (and if everybody bought 2-3 each year as gift for others, you would probably have enough to keeo the board running.
Cheers
Rick

A Calendar

A calendar is an excellent idea and given the quality of the photographs they would make fantastic presents!!!

...Joe

Last edited:
LOVE THOSE PICTURES!
They would make beautiful gifts and the calendar idea is great.
You could even put a different "motivational quote" under the photo for each month.

I appreciate your ideas, but I have looked into making calendars before and it is just not feasible. It costs way too much to make them. Unless you make tens of thousands of calendars the price is just too high. If it costs $18 to make a calendar and I sell it for $20, I make a $2 profit and I can tell you that I will not sell too many $20 calendars. I know a bunch of you will say "I'll buy one" but it just doesn't work. It took me a year to sell 300 patches for $1 and it's taken me over a year to sell 400 stickers for $1.50 each. Most of the sticker sales have come from friends of mine who feel sorry for me and buy like 10 of them.

Unless someone finds a printer that will make high quality 12 photo calendars for $2 each in a quantity of 300 it is a non-starter. Another problem with the calendars is that while I can sell decals for over a year, I can only sell the calendars for a period of about 6 months - 3 months before the new year and 3 months into the new year. After that, the remaining calendars go into the recycle bin. I have looked into calendars in the past, and believe me, it is a no go in our quantities.

I am selling the prints because I really love photography and my market will be bigger than this site. People will not have to be VFTT members to want to buy a print. I am hoping that VFTT members will send out the link to their friends and family and maybe some of them will buy prints as presents. Most of the prints I have sold so far have been presents for someone else.

Thank you for the positive reviews. I hoped you would enjoy my photography. :)

- darren

alistair said:
Do have any pictures of the A' dacks?

I have some, but I have not done any serious photography there (yet). So, nothing I would put up for sale.

- darren

Darren - You are a very talented photographer! The pics are great! Do you have examples of how a pic looks framed so we can see the type of frame and matte?

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

Matts on most photos are standard "white". For a few of the photos, I prefer colored matts, but I will leave that up the buyer. That is why I ask people to email me rather than have some auto order form. Same deal with the frames. Pricing is for a standard black metal frame. If someone wants something different, I can try to accomodate.

- darren

You may not want to take the time, but putting the photos up on ebay might not be a bad idea either. At the very least they would get more exposure than in this little corner of the WWW.

BTW, the pictures are beautiful. I love the Sunset Over Washington.

JJD said:
BTW, the pictures are beautiful. I love the Sunset Over Washington.

Thanks. I waited in the cold for 2+ hours to take that shot. I am glad I did. I really like that one.

- darren

Wow!

If you thought the photos looked good on the website just wait until you get one in person! I recieved my photo of Bigelow Reflection the other day and it is just absolutely beatiful! I had originally planned to give it to my Dad as a belated birthday gift but it just looks to good on wall at home! :D (I guess that means I'll have to get another one!)

Darren, you are very talented!

-MEB

Cyber calendar?

Hey Darren,

Here is a thought. What about a calendar that is used as wallpaper on the computer. You might want to send up a trial balloon about it. It would cost just about nothing and you could charge a fee (obviously) to send it to people. Just about pure profit. I believe you have already copyrighted the photos so most if not all the people would (hopefully) respect that. My thought is to use the picture as wallpaper on the computer with the calendar either overlayed on top of the picture or more likely, with the picture above with calender below. You could send out all twelve in one email or one a month, kind of like a suprise photo for the month. It also allows you to send pictures of limited resolution so that people cannot hopefully match the resolution of the pictures that you are selling as wall hangings.

Just a thought,
Keith

Last edited: