Pierce, Eisenhower, and Monroe, 3/28/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
Initially I had my heart set on climbing the Tripyramids. However, upon noting the fabulous weather conditions predicted for Saturday, I decided against my original plan. After communicating back and forth a few times with Andy, we both agreed that a trip up to the Southern Presidentials would make an excellent morning hike. He was insistent on meeting at 7:30am, which would give us adequate time to spot cars and make last-minute preparations. Grudgingly, I obliged...

Driving up through Twin Mountain - the vivid whiteness of the Northern Presis standing out brilliantly against a grey backdrop of sky - I knew it was going to be fantastic day. If we were able to bag all three peaks, I'd end up achieving my goal of climbing 20 4ks in March 2009. Additionally, the temperatures were warm enough for me to rock a single layer + tights, which I found most exciting.

The Crawford Path was solidly packed all the way up to Pierce, enabling us to make good time up to the ridge. Microspikes proved to be more than sufficient. Upon reaching treeline, I was thrilled to see that the lighting was just wonderful... which meant that I - gasp - could possibly snap a few decent pictures for once?!

Although the summit of Pierce was lovely, we decided not to linger. Heading up the ridge, our next target - Eisenhower - stood boldly ahead of us, Monroe and Washington, too, peeking up behind its domed summit. To our right, the patterns and contrast in the sky were both striking and lovely.

Andy soon became tired with my incessant picture-taking. I informed him that people lacking in photographic talent need to continually take pictures in order to come up with a few decent shots. Up to Eisenhower we climbed...

...and reaching the summit, we had the top of the mountain entirely to ourselves.

After taking a quick break, we proceeded towards Monroe. Although the trail had become increasingly icy, we were still able to make do with microspikes (and the occasional rock-hop). Reaching the col, we encountered - of all things - the most incredible little igloo. I decided to venture inside and explore.

Onwards, we climbed, surrounded in all directions by utterly striking views.

I became increasingly excited about the fact that I was so close to realizing my 20-peak goal. Much joyous shouting ensued, coupled with a few frightening bursts of hyperness on my part. Definitely worthy of a thumbs-up from Andy...

Continued below...

Part Deux

Reaching Monroe, I simply couldn't stop grinning.

Washington looked so close and tempting from the summit. What I'd have given to climb it, had we not had time constraints...

The descent down towards the hut was certainly a little sketchy. My fall on the Hancocks the week prior still fresh in my mind, I pulled out my ice axe immediately. Although we did not switch over to crampons, in retrospect it might have been a good idea.

Reaching the hut itself, I was absolutely delighted to find that I'd - once again - have the opportunity to scale its roof. Oh, the little things that amuse me...

...but time was of the essence. Down the Ammo we went, encountering countless numbers of skiers along the way, their tiny forms dotting the summit of Monroe, now behind us, like a small army of ants...

An excellent hike, to say the least.

More pictures here...

LRiz and Andy--We also hiked Pierce, Ike and Monroe on Saturday. But we got an 8:30am start so we missed you guys. What a great day it turned out to be. That igloo was pretty cool. 20 peaks in March? Sounds like someone else is working on the grid besides Andy. ;)

Looks like a good day up there, and much less frightening than your last trip up into the mtns! :eek: It was about 66 down in the valley, so the hike across the ridge must have been fantastic. I need to get up there again before I move south. :(

grouseking

Thanks for the trip report and the pictures, in particular -- they give a good indication of the conditions for the next couple of days (accounting for some melt and perhaps a dusting of snow here and there); I'd like to get up in the same area after the precipitation later this week passes through.

Much obliged.

You're most welcome! Please do post a TR to let us know how everything goes... :)

LRiz and Andy--We also hiked Pierce, Ike and Monroe on Saturday. But we got an 8:30am start so we missed you guys. What a great day it turned out to be. That igloo was pretty cool. 20 peaks in March? Sounds like someone else is working on the grid besides Andy. ;)

Bummer I missed you! I think it's been nearly two months since I last saw you guys (Wildcats?). As to the grid... I tell myself I'm not actively working on it, yet I am rather obsessively keeping track of peaks... :rolleyes:

Looks like a good day up there, and much less frightening than your last trip up into the mtns! :eek: It was about 66 down in the valley, so the hike across the ridge must have been fantastic. I need to get up there again before I move south. :(

grouseking

It was just lovely. Although I'm saddened by the passing of winter, I must say it's really nice to be able to hike in so few layers! Hope you're able to make a trip up to the ridge soon. :)

Awesome! I think you need to spend more time hiking and less time...well....you know!:rolleyes::D

...tell me about it. =/

I will only be hiking from this point onwards, seeing as I'm just too ridiculous for anything else. :eek: