Pittsfield VT Snowshoe Marathon and Half Marathon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

una_dogger

Reaction score
March 3

This event was excellent and I highly recommend it for next year!

The best part of the event were the organizers, who treated everyone like a WINNER even though the event was geared towards ultramarathoners.

I'm happy to report that our own Mntn Pa, Mntn Drew (AKA Drewski) and myself, Una_dogger; successfully completed the HALF !

My time was 4:35, a few minutes longer than Mntn Drew. Mntn Pa did an excellent job as well, and made lots of freinds along the way ;)

Mntn Ma was out on the course cheering us on and making sure we had everything we needed. She stepped right up and helped with snowshoe check ins and shuttling folks, as well! Go Ma!

SJ completed the marathon, we saw him at mile 20 going strong! YAHOO!

Way to go!

The half marathon had approx 2725 ft gain, the marathon was two loops of the half and had a 5500 ft gain. The top male finisher of the marathon had a time of 3:30!! And the top female marathoner approx 5:00 hours. Very strong racers. It wasn't an easy course, and the snow in the warm sun felt more like mashed potatoes. I had huge balls of snow stuck to the base of my MSRs, which made jogging tough.

We all got kewl little plaques to commemorate our finishes!

I went out thinking, "I just want to finish in under six hours" but once the race began, I eyeballed my oponents and dug in for a race! Beating 20 somethings felt REALLY good !

I highly recommend this event. HIGHLY!

Excuse my ignorance, but am I reading this right, Una_Dogger _ a marathon and half-marathon in snowhoes???? Yikes!

Great job everyone!

Yup, L, you are reading correctly.

The course was a mix of single track in the woods, snowmobile trails, and country dirt roads. Yeah, and the road sections, straight uphill! All on snowshoes! Woo hoo! 13+ miles of pain!

There was even an option to sled the last downhill...umm..that was seriously scary looking and I opted to hike down.

Yes, DennisB; and I should mention that in June they are having a Ultramarathon, 50 miles, six peaks, 12k ft elevation gain.

www.peak.com

check out the Pittsfield VT races.

edited to say that yesterday's race included a talk by David Breshears and a screening of his new Everest movie, plus an all you can eat lobster and shrimp dinner and a very nice fleece. I didn't stay for the evening festivities but I heard that they rocked and the movie was a jaw dropper.

A special thanks to Mntn Ma, who due to injury, couldn't race but gave me her number, making it possible for me to join this event. Thanks again, Ma!

Last edited:
Pittsfield race

we all had a great race..is it possible to OD on lobster and shrimp?? una--i just returned from a 4 mile jog...i feel slow and still full of lobster..we should of hiked something???

drewski said:
we all had a great race..is it possible to OD on lobster and shrimp?? una--i just returned from a 4 mile jog...i feel slow and still full of lobster..we should of hiked something???

Four mile jog?

Way to go!

Shoulda hiked something..yeah...I've been on the couch all day overdosing on carbs....so sore. I'll have to get back to ya on that hike invite.

:rolleyes:

Good job guys, I'm sorry I missed it. Puck and I were on Mt Abraham cheering you on. Let's remind us of this event earily next year. Sounds like fun.

Sounds like a great time was had by all.

<mod hat>
There is a general rule about not posting Trip Reports from races. I'm going to close this thread. If you have any questions, please contact me or one of the other mods directly.
</mod hat>

-dave-

Status
Not open for further replies.