Presi Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Structure

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am a 20 yr old who is trying to plan a Presi Traverse for July. Want to take 2-3 other people with me but i have a bunch of questions about it. It seems that a lot of people start from N and go S, how come? Is it possible to do a route that hits the peaks of all the mountains and still finish in less than 24 hrs? Any info people are willing to share with me I would be be very greatful. Thank you

you'll get lot's o' advice here dude, believe me. so i'll start. the north to south thing is pretty much so's you can get the elevation gains out of the way while you're fresh. and can you do it under 24 hours at age 20? i sure hope so. you should be able to break 10 hours if you get on it. but take your time and enjoy it. on a decent weather day, you'll have lotsa fun. go for it, dog!

oh yeah. go light. you really don't have to pack a lot of water as you can carry just enough to carry you to the huts. make sure you have a good windshell and some carbs and do it up!!

Last edited:
I had a big thing all written up, but Kevin beat me to everything I was going to say. Don't forget to enjoy yourself, stop (but not for too long :) ) to smell the alpine flowers from time to time.

-dave-

Kevin Rooney said:
I'll toss in some more info. Take Valley Way to the hut at Madison. Ditch your pack, do Madison and return to hut. . . .

Have do this traverse using Valley Way, Watson Path and Pine Link to get to Madison. Valley Way is hands down the easiest and quickest route. Important not to kick the stuffing out of yourself on the first major ascent.
Kevin

Hey Charlie (MtnTop), you reading this? Your woman is pretty smart about them trails afterall ;)

sli74

to everyone so far that has given advice thanks. I cant wait to continue to plan and do it. Maybe ill see ya out there Kevin if I end up getting everything worked out and a group to go with. Thanks again and please keep sending more advice

Hey Structure

I just did a presi traverse and you can read my trip report here:http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6930

As for specs...

North to South: As stated above by Bruno... most tackle the northerns first to get the elevation gain and big rocks out of the way. Nothing worse than clamering over boulders when your dogdon tired from 10 miles previously. Also... after getting the northerns done... the southerns feel like walking on pavement. Heading south also allows you a gradually decrease in elevation the entire way and the (up) peaks seem more subtle.

South to North: This sometimes turns out to be a long long walk towards washington which you can pretty much see the entire way. Then once reaching the summit (finally) you see the daunting northern presies before you. Egads!

Time: In under 10 hours... you have to be moving at a good clip. At least 2.3-2.7 mph (avg.) the entire day if you do the math. I finished in just under 10 and I managed to miss a trail junction on washington that took me 1.3 miles out of the way... then stay on the summit of washington for 40 minutes... and stopping at all huts for lemonade.

Also.. I agree with packing light. All I used was a camelback backpack and one nalgene bottle with gatorade. Bring some extra mix and refill at huts and Washington summit. ONLY DO THIS DURING GOOD WEATHER!

Actually... the entire traverse should probably only be performed during optimal weather considering the danger factors involved... especially with no dump outs to the west coming over the north presies with Jefferson Notch Rd being closed for repairs.

During threatenning or bad weather plan on a heavier pack with all of the "Just in cases" packed in. Unless your sure your in physical condition and of mental capacity to get yourself out of harms way during a dangerous situation... there is no reason why you shouldn't take the proper precautions.

Thats all I got for now. Sorry for rambling. Hope its of use. :)

Oh and... Try mohameds site: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/presidential-traverse.html

Last edited:
Ultralight is NOT the way to go on this one!

Don't pack too light! Mt. Washington isn't known as "Home of the World's Worst Weather" for nothing. Conditions can turn on a dime. ALWAYS bring protective layers (warm and wind and waterproof), regardless of forecast. People have started off in fair conditions with a decent forecast and died on the Presidentials in July. It is much better to travel safely and to be prepared for an emegency situation than to try to be a boneheaded macho hiker and get yourself or your friends into trouble, like Jeremy Haas.

Please, play it safe and play it cool. If your friends bonk, head down. If conditions turn, head down. Look at maps in advance and know your escape routes. Don't be afraid to ask specific questions. It is always good to ask!

We did all of the main peaks and all of the subpeaks (Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay, Washingon, Monroe, Franklin, Eisehower, Pierce, skipped Jackson since it wasn't named after a Pres) in about 11 hours last summer. In good weather once you're past the Northern peaks you can really cruise. Like Sherpajohn said, thinking of going north and finishing on the higher peaks sounds tough...but it also sounds cool if you've already gone the other way!

Hopefully I'll see you up there, if weather holds I'll be hitting Jefferson Thru Ike. Lightbut I'd avoid ultralight but enough clothes to get you down in case of T-storms (which might include ice) Weather warmth appears to be okay although that is quite changeable as you already know, T-storms might be issue

oh yeah, i forgot to mention gear. Our first attempt was thwarted last June when the skies opened up with a nice mixture of 35 degree rain and ice. We had all tried to 'keep it light' and all paid the price. Next time here were my pack contents:

-Shell Jacket and Pants
-Fleece
-Extra water bottle
-Extra socks
-few snacks
-blister kit

The snacks I carried were small and few since we mostly ate at the huts. I could've gotten away with only one water bottle but decided to be overly prepared. The weather was in the 60's and sunny with zero wind...funny how that works out.

time and gear

Two points if I may. I prefer north to south as do most. Secondly I carry my ussual gear, I NEVER climb up high without the essetials, I carry the weight and have the piece of mind I always enjoy, besides without the right gear you have to go down, Id rather suit up and continue on :D .
Secondly Sherpajohn got me thinking, SJ if you want post your exact time, under 10 hrs is good, but when I come home in July Im going to crank the traverse and want something to shoot for, Il post my time when I do it. I think competivness is heathly and FUN, after all we climb these peaks alot lets make it interesting, shall we. :eek:
P.S. Ive benn hiking 14ers, cant wait for that thick air back east.

Structure,
I was just going to post the same exact 'add' when I stumbled upon yours. I was looking to do this traverse in either the last weekend of July or any weekend in August. I'm 28 and live in Boston. Please let me know if you have formed a group already 'cause I'd love to join. I've been reading lots of advice and I love the idea of a bailout car at Ammonoosuc in case of weather or injury.
Justin

Hey once again I want to say thanks for all the great advice and I appreciate that more than one person are saying points because it makes me understand what is more than opion :D Jtremont I have only just started making a group. I am deffinetly up for ya coming along, let me just check with the other guy but I would love to have others on the trip. I send some more info your way by the end of the week on whats going on but hope to see ya in a month or so

Yeah Structure keep me updated. I'll be sure to check back soon or feel free to send me an email.
JT

I'd be interested in going in July. Originally, I was planning on going this coming weekend, but I backed out because I don't qutie feel ready for it. By mid-July, I should be much more ready to do it. My recent track record in keeping up with hikers in their early 20's is not so good, so hopefully I can improve on that.

hahaha no worries stevehiker....i have never done a hike like this. I have ran 2 marathons but never trained for either so i am hoping that it will be similar but just in case i am going to start training as well.

And I am getting a gear plan ready, what are the most important things that i need to have and what are somethings that I dont need to bring....thanks again for all who have helped me with this. I hope that some day i can be able to help back

sli74 said:
Hey Charlie (MtnTop), you reading this? Your woman is pretty smart about them trails afterall ;)

sli74

Uh, yeah.. but when does he ever listen to me??? I threw a mini fit on the top of Madison last year because of the stinkin' Watson Path. This year, I know what to expect (dread).

FWIW, I have seen far too many traverse folks out there in blowing rain, on slippery rocks, with bloodied knees. Take the advice of others - do it on a good day, or don't do it at all.

-Blue

fast & light counter-opinion

while I think double bow has points - I am doing the traverse next weekend - while I have never done one before - but I have done half traverses (valley-way and down tucks), etc.. I am going light - light doesn't mean don't pack a jacket and shells and head off in flip-flops. - it means don't bother with tent, sleeping bag, extras of everything under the sun.

I think if you know the area, have done a few of these peaks before, know the escape routes, are a decnet paced hiker etc.. this can be done fast and light - very easily. In summer - you have a few places to hit if the poop hits the fan and you can get to them quick if need be. Madison Hut, RMC cabins, Lakes, Washington summit, Mizpah. .

sherpa john trip this past weekend is a perfect exmaple - he knows the area, is a strng hiker - and did this light and fast very succesfully.

giggy said:
while I think double bow has points - I am doing the traverse next weekend - while I have never done one before - but I have done half traverses (valley-way and down tucks), etc.. I am going light - light doesn't mean don't pack a jacket and shells and head off in flip-flops. - it means don't bother with tent, sleeping bag, extras of everything under the sun.

I think if you know the area, have done a few of these peaks before, know the escape routes, are a decnet paced hiker etc.. this can be done fast and light - very easily. In summer - you have a few places to hit if the poop hits the fan and you can get to them quick if need be. Madison Hut, RMC cabins, Lakes, Washington summit, Mizpah. .

sherpa john trip this past weekend is a perfect exmaple - he knows the area, is a strng hiker - and did this light and fast very succesfully.

While SJ does know the area well, the person who was asking the question, does not and may not be as fast a hiker as SJ either (probably few are). When traveling with a group, you need to be extra prepared, especially on a trip like this. This is not a Sunday stoll in the park.

There is a difference between traveling light and ultra light. Bring extra food, water, and layers (which SJ did not do) and know your escape routes. Ultralight is not the way to go on this one. Your life is worth more than a few ounces.

Double Bow - you know what - after re-reading the entire thread again - I have to agree with you now - (in regards to this thread).

I shouldn't have alluded that this can bee done easily - it's not by any means easy and if you don't know the area and hit some weather and don't know what to do - your basically f'ed. sorry for that confusion.

I guess what I meant if you can hike some distance, know the route, havee good weather, - etc.. fast and light is better.

for some folks - fast and light is the way to go - some it ain't. Not saying what structure's best option is here - but know pro's and con's of both.

Last edited: