Presis Traverse turned Great Gulf Loop 9-20-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Often I try to live spontaneously with my plans loose enough to accept a great deal of change. Then I started looking at the weather for Saturday and decided it would be the perfect day to attempt a Presis Traverse. I had done all of them individually and a Southern Presis so it would just be a matter of pacing myself and preparing for my objective. As I planned the trip I thought about how much I would love to include a sunrise on the first summit and a sunset on the last. Some traverses I had read about looked to be about the right time span to fit what I thought would be a unique idea. Never occurred to me that I might be painting myself into the corner. :confused:

I had to work Friday, no problem I’ll be all packed Thursday, eat and take a power nap, drive three hours up to Appalachia and hike in starting at 2:00am. So it began, off to bed at 8:30pm and my wife affectionately woke me up around 11:00 when she came to bed. I even showered and made coffee for the road like I hadn’t missed a bit of sleep. Behind schedule and on the road and “Good morning officer! I’m just in a little hurry to hike some presidential mountains and I’ll pay better attention!” He bid me good day and good luck as he handed me a document confirming our chat. ;)

The morning starlit drive was alive with wildlife. On route 115 before the scenic view a young bear charged across from the opposite side of the road and I had to swerve so quickly that I thought I might have grazed him. I doubled back and found no sign of him or any blood. Next a handsome fox that didn’t cross, then a coyote later that did. I took a quick check at Bowman for Mats and then was startled by a cow and calf moose galloping across from my side before Lowe’s store.

I headed in from Appalachia at 3:15am with about 50lb and confidence. Original plan was Watson but some aroma of fresh brew held me on VW to the tent site. After my visit to the privy the nice fellows shared a cup with me and away I went, now nearing two hours off my “plan”. Folks were already sharing the morning sun on Madison and as it cast its shadow on Durand Ridge the fog was thinning in the valleys. What an awesome day to be up on top. By 10:15 I was on Adams and not far off book time if I discounted for my 3 breaks.

The mountains were alive with cheerful conversation and people. As I headed west I asked occasionally if any had seen Mats and thought I might have missed him by not taking Star Lake. Stopped and filtered water at Edmands Col and found it to be a nice spring even in the fall. My feet had started to get hot spots and I was tempted to soak them but felt it would be rude in the drinking water source. I had switched to some hiking boots with a firmer sole and though they are broke in I was beginning to pay for the change. Jefferson was alive with people, most approaching from Ridge of the Caps but many traversing. I was now well off pace, it was 1:15pm, 10hrs on the trail, still enjoying it but realizing change was inevitable. Coming down to Monticello Lawn my feet were burning up and when some fellows I was hiking along with said they were dropping down off Sphinx trail to camp I found a nice retreat from George looming ahead. :eek:

I had no cell signal but in a mile I’d be on fairly easy going trails and headed close to the festivities at Barnes Field. The Great Gulf is an amazing place and did not disappoint me with an endless bounty of cascades, pools, waterfalls, forests and leisurely trails. I would have to stop and rest my feet and sit in wonderment along Peabody River. I reached Route 16 at 8:00pm and begged a ride from a good fellow at Barnes, Thanks Marc! By 11:00pm, 24 hrs from my wake up call, I was kicking back by the fire in the best of company with my feet chilling in ice water and listening in awe of long traverses had by others. Life is definitely good, plans changed but goals are still there to pursue! I already had Madison, Adams and Jefferson in September so it was purely high altitude satisfaction not pursuit of some list. Someday I’ll go after the Sunrise/Sunset Presis Traverse again, but on a good night’s sleep! ;)

Pics from the path: (Sorry some horizons aren’t level. Guess I was listing to the right!)
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567278595HrQRjY?vhost=good-times

Last edited:
Dave,

It seems like you had a pretty good day out to me. Nice T/R. Every time I read about visits to the Great Gulf my interest in the area goes up. Your report just bumped it up a little more.

Thanks.
Earl

I'll second the comment on the beautiful cascades of the Peabody. I came down through the Great Gulf from the Sphinx Trail Friday and was blown away by the endless "stream" of waterfalls all the way down! Puts many waterfall destination trails to shame! A great place to slow down and enjoy exploring. :cool:

Next time (summer)

if you turn right (south-ish) onto GG trail towards Spaulding 'Lake' from Sphinx junction, after you pop out of that cool kinda boggy glen there are one or two actually swim-able pools in the stream, including a nice one below a little waterfall. Have to do a bit of scrambling to reach it but it is the best one I have found in the Gulf - very COLD though!

Great report and pictures Dave!!! You certainly had an interesting drive up as well as a gorgeous day for a hike. I look forward to hearing about your next crack at the presi traverse and maybe I'll even attempt it with you.

Nice TR and pics Dave! :D
Glad you had a nice day up on the Presi's. I was wondering how you were making out. Glad you called & checked in!

Thanks for the great cooking as usual at barnes, I was pretty starved by the time we got there.

Loved the waterfalls! Glad you took your time and enjoyed the views. Too bad we missed you on the peaks, but the timing just wasn't meant to be...another day, another hike!

Another fantastic TR davebear!! Sorry to miss catching up with you(and everyone else) at barnes saturday night...thats right, i was the one sleeping...