probably a dumb question but ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
I have a slew of great lenses that I used with my Nikon SLRs. If I were to get a Nikon digital camera _ can those lenses be used with that? I don't remember what kind of mount they are but they were used with the N70 body.

Yes, you can use them, they have the same mount. But, because the sensor size on the Nikon dSLRs is smaller then the size of a 35mm negative, there's a 1.5 multiplier. That means, a 100mm lens acts as though it was a 150mm lens. The end result is that you'll probably have some great telephoto lens, but you'll need to buy a new lens to achieve wide angle.

-dave-

Not a dumb question at all. Compatibility with one's old lenses can be a significant factor in choosing the brand of a new body (digital or film).

Dave mentions the 1.5 effective FL factor due to the smaller (than 35mm film) sensor. Not only does it make the lenses effectively longer, but it also improves their effective quality. Many lens imperfections show up at the corners and edges of the image. Since the smaller sensor discards the border of the 35mm film image, it keeps the best part and discards the worst.

Doug

A lot of people are what you would call "System owners." They usually buy into one brand (i.e. "Im a Canon shoter" or "Im a Nikon shooter.") This is because each maker usually makes all their lenses compatable amongst their general body line (yes there are exceptions.) This is because lenses can be the pricier part of the system. Sure a digital body will run you between $500 and $1200 or more. But good glass can easily surpass that price....an example is the Canon L series lenses (not quite sure what the Nikon equivelant would be.) All this adds up to being good for us consumers, as well as simplifying things for the manufacturer.

So, as Dave and Doug have said, enjoy those lenses on your new Nikon!

Brian

alpinista said:
I have a slew of great lenses that I used with my Nikon SLRs. If I were to get a Nikon digital camera _ can those lenses be used with that? I don't remember what kind of mount they are but they were used with the N70 body.

The answer to your question about Nikon lens compatibility is a definite “yes.”

Nikon generally has been very good about maintaining “backward” compatibility between lenses and camera bodies in their system. I have used 1970s and 1980s vintage Nikon lenses on current (2007) digital camera bodies. A lot of the automated features (autofocus and some exposure automation) won’t work, but the lenses are otherwise completely functional.

Heed, though, the warning that you will have to multiply your lens focal length by 1.5 or so to predict its effective angle of view for the digital sensor. If you have a wide angle lens in the 20mm - 24mm range, or a zoom with its widest in that range, that you used with your N70 body you will be pretty much OK at the wide end for most purposes.

An old friend told me just last week that she just bought a Pentax digital camera body that will accept her 1980s era Pentax K-mount lenses. Very good news for her. She won’t have scads of automation but she won’t have to shell out extra to get excellent lenses that she can use with the digital body.

G.