Proud Papa of a new 46er

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoc22

Reaction score
I had the pleasure today of shepherding my son Sam to the summit of Tabletop for the completion of his 46th peak. We were joined by his Mom, sister and our wonderful friends with whom we have shared many such adventures. Even his grandpa and a dear family friend came in to Marcy Dam to meet us for the hike out. It was a perfect hike on a perfect day in the Adirondacks. For any of you who got out for a walk in the woods today I'm sure you would agree.

There is nothing quite like helping your child achieve a milestone like this - especially having shared each mile together. Starting at age five on Cascade, and finishing at age twelve with a flurry of peaks over the past two months, it has been quite a trip. We all hope our children will come to appreciate the things we appreciate and love the things that we love. It doesn't always work out that way but when it does it is very gratifying. As a dad it rarely gets better than this.

For us this has been one of the best hiking seasons ever. We encountered dry trails, perfect temperatures and awesome views on virtually every hike we did. Dix, Nippletop, Pyramid and Gothics, and even the oft maligned Tabletop gave us the very best vistas they had to offer. We were spoiled by the blackberries and raspberries on the trails to Flowed lands, the Dix range and shoulder of Noonmark. Even the hawks and ospreys seemed to grace us with their presence at the most appropos times.

In the car on the way home, after a celebration on the mountain and then again at dinner in Lake Placid commemorating his achievement, I noticed a tinge of sadness on Sam's face. When I asked why, he denied feeling sad, but I think I know what he was feeling. It's like the feeling you get finishing a favorite book or series of books. You can read them again but they'll never again be new to you. With the finishing, you lose the mystery and special feeling of being somewhere or doing something you haven't done before. You've unlocked the magic and the secrets. But I am confident there will be many more achievements and many more chapters to read and write.

Well maybe this isn't a trip report after all. Maybe it's a reflection on pride, beauty, and even a touch of sadness at the conclusion of a special journey.

"I noticed a tinge of sadness on Sam's face. When I asked why, he denied feeling sad, but I think I know what he was feeling. It's like the feeling you get finishing a favorite book or series of books. You can read them again but they'll never again be new to you. With the finishing, you lose the mystery and special feeling of being somewhere or doing something you haven't done before. You've unlocked the magic and the secrets. But I am confident there will be many more achievements and many more chapters to read and write."

What a great trip report and your words are so, so true.

Great story.
I think a father- son accomplishment in the outdoors like yours will forever fuse you two and has helped turn him into a man.

Puck said:
Great story.
I think a father- son accomplishment in the outdoors like yours will forever fuse you two and has helped turn him into
Puck said:

I agree with you. I do the same with my two kids, we are doing
the NE 111ers list (now 115 peaks) and we plan to finish it in
3 years. We start 3 years ago and now had done 31 peaks and
my kids are 10 and 11 years old. Every hikers should try the same
with their kids.

No - that is a TRIP REPORT - and a great one at that! Congrats to you and your son and family - it is a great accomplishment and it is a great thing to give your child an appreciation of the outdoors.

Congratulations to you both. Thats a great recounting of your adventure.
As far as the slight sadness on your son's face, and the book analogy goes, maybe this could give your son some solace. When I was a kid there was a series of books called "Choose your own Adventure books", where as your read the books, you made choices along the way as to what would happen next, and then turned to the appropriate page. The book WAS different every time. I think the mountains are like that, except more so. Every time you go to a mountain you've hiked before the entire experience is different. Weather, season, companions,etc. all change the experience and make it new again. On top of all that, he'll have the sweet memory of hiking them first with you.

Congrats again!

Keep bringing him back for more... even if you repeat a peak, the hike is always somehow different due to weather, different hiking partners, random events, etc. I finished the 46, then accompanied my son on his 46, and now we are doing the NH48 and eventually the NE115.

Nice writing - a good read. Congrats to Sam on his 46th. Tell his grandpa that an appropriate congratulatory gift would be Spencer's new book - The Other 54!

It certainly doesn't stop here...