Question ofr Tarp / Bivy users!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenC

Reaction score
Avitar: Sunset from Perch : Home:Western Mass
Question for Tarp / Bivy users!!

I've recently added an Integral Designs Salathe bivy to my shelter options. I'll use it on trips i feel like keeping the load real light, as an emergency shelter on colder weather day trips and some winter overnights. I do need to add a small lightweight fly!

Those of you that use this combo, what size tarp have you found to be the best compromise? I've decided on the Siltarp which is available in 5x8 or 8x10. the 5x8 seems like it would be fine to shield the bivy entrance and provide a place to cook and change in bad weather. What have others found?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Ken,
I too use the ID salathe. I am about to purchase a 5x8 tarp. I figure it should be big enough b/c my whole body does not need to fit under the tarp, just need the space to cook etc etc. I really think the the 8x10 would be an over kill. I started by just using a light weight umbrella but I think a tarp will give more space and eaiser to use. Just waiting for some funds.

I've used the smaller sil tarp quite happily with a single bivy. It's plenty of extra shelter for cooking and dressing. If you have a rain jacket as well, you can throw that on if wind is blowing rain off the edges of the tarp.

I've been on wet trips where three people have used bivys and shared one of the larger sil tarps satisfactorily--so the larger one would be luxurious for one. If you're bivying to save weight, the smaller tarp is adequate.

Ken,
I struggled with that question a few years back - 5x8 or 8x10 with my bivy sack. I went with the 8x10 as it offerd more range of options - such as late summer/early fall and bringing no bivy at all,

Using it between 2 tents on normal backpacking trips during rain.

Having a luxurious place to hang out in during rain storms and for hanging in a L/T to offer a bit more protection in the winter, but not completely closing it off.

The investment in the extra extra couple of ounces, offered a much great return in versatility

But like anything YMMV.

8x10. It'll help give you some cover to stay under and away from any splashing. There will also be more flexibility in how you can rig the tarp as there's more fabric to pull around, drape and stake out.

I'm actually considering a 12x12 sil nylon tarp.

I used a 5x8 for decades and was satisfied. I guess with age comes a need for more comfort. Two years ago I bought a GoLite Lair 2 tarp tent, 1 lb. Combined with a bivy, it's a 4-season ultralight shelter. 'Course, you probably wouldn't want to do a planned January overnighter above tree line.

Still banging this one around.

I may have found a good compromise though!!! Looks like Oware makes a Cattarp which is right between the 5x8 and 8x10 in terms of size and weight. Hmmm...

Thanks for all your input...