raincoat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
if I can buy a poncho for next to nothing..and a pvc poncho for 10 or 15 bucks..i figure i ought to be able to buy a rain jacket made of the same stuff for 25 or 30 or less maybe, but I can't seem to find one. I got one at beans for about 30, and it just soaked thru. I don't want to spend any more than I have to, I just figure I ought to be able to buy a pretty cheap coat(and or pants) made of the same stuff as a poncho. I can't figure out what the problem is, I figured they would be easy to find. A poncho is nice, but a coat is nice if the winds are high. I saw other threads but most of them deal with gore tex and or expensive coats.

www.froggtoggs.com

Check out Frogg Toggs. They are inexpensive and might be just what you are looking for. They do have some excellent reviews. You can order them right on the net because lots of places don't carry them, at least not in my area.

hikerfast said:
if I can buy a poncho for next to nothing..and a pvc poncho for 10 or 15 bucks..i figure i ought to be able to buy a rain jacket made of the same stuff for 25 or 30 or less maybe, but I can't seem to find one.
I have bought $5 rainsuits and don't recommend it, at least the pants. A poncho just drapes over you and doesn't get much stress while the tighter garments tend to tear as you move. I'll see if I have an extra jacket someplace.

Ponchos have few cuts and few stitches therefore they are very cheap to make...
Marmot Precips are great - they are not cheap but if you keep your eye open they can be had for a a good price. They are generally over $100 but I got mine for $69 on a clearance last year at Mountain Gear. They cost some money, but they are light and they work.

sapblatt said:
Ponchos have few cuts and few stitches therefore they are very cheap to make...
Marmot Precips are great - they are not cheap but if you keep your eye open they can be had for a a good price. They are generally over $100 but I got mine for $69 on a clearance last year at Mountain Gear. They cost some money, but they are light and they work.

I second this...the precip is really a good rain jacket..but certianly not cheap..you only spend it once though..how many "$5" rainsuits will you go through? I'd expect a couple. Why not just splurge "once" and get the right equipment?

just a thought.

M

Have you considered something more middle-of-the-road? Not great, but better than plastic, more expensive than plastic, but a fraction of top of the line...

Campmor has a few things by Red Ledge (I've been pleased with my two pieces (pants & parka) by that brand)

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39180503

And where else are you going to find rain pants with full side zips for $30
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39180611

They also have a vinyl, full rain suit (pants & jacket) for $5
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=57860

Didn't bother searching any other catalog sites. You may want to try your own search on Campmor, or other sites. There's a lot more stuff, even in the <$30 range, than I've posted here.

I've Tried the middle of the road... Red Ledge. :(. I bought a lightly used precip for my wife for a rediculous price, and liked it so much I had to get one for myself. The pants are great too. Marmot makes great stuff, it is worth the extra $$.

-percious

percious said:
I've Tried the middle of the road... Red Ledge. :(. I bought a lightly used precip for my wife for a rediculous price, and liked it so much I had to get one for myself. The pants are great too. Marmot makes great stuff, it is worth the extra $$.

-percious

Marmot sure does and they stand behind their products too...

I am in the market for some precip pants myself...looks like campmor has em for about $59 or so....

M

Dugan said:
Not meaning to start a debate, but I've been so pleased with my Red Ledge stuff I'm curious what, specifically, do you not like about yours?

Dugan - like Percious, I have used both Red Ledge and Marmot Precip. Both are light and good stuff, but I prefer my Marmot for the following reasons:
a. Marmot is more durable. I got rips in my Red Ledge.
b. Marmot has a less clammy feel.
c. After my Red Ledge eventually wet out, I could not restore its water repellancy. I tried both the Revivex spray and the Nikwax Techwash & Nikwax waterproofing wash (following manufacturer's instructions in both cases) without success. I then bought the Marmot Precip and have been thrilled.

Marty

Last edited:
FWIW, I asked about rain gear this spring and based on recommendations, I bought the Marmot Precip and love it! Thanks guys!!

For rain/wind pants, I've been using a pair of Red Ledge full-zips for years and they have held up well to all kinds of rain and buttsliding in the winter. They are however, not crampon resistant. :( I guess that's why in winter I normally wear gaitors...

I would say that Marmot breathes better but that pants don't need to breathe as much so you can save a little money there. YMMV.

Sierra Trading Post has some inexpensive Sierra Designs rain gear.
Here's a Poncho.

I like nylon chaps and don't know why they're so rare.

Does anyone use their Marmot Precips as winter hard shell ? That would make it easier to justify the expense, at least.

Edit: I realize the Precip would not be as breathable as a GoreTex or eVent winter shell, but I do think it would make a good transitional shell for wet 33 degree type days.

Last edited:
I use the Precip year round - I have been down to about 5 degrees with it. It layers well over fleece. I have a hard time justifying the weight of my gore tex shell - I like the weight of my precip and I even think the waterproof factor is better than my heavier shell.

I know other people you use the precip's all year also.

Double Bow, gaiters are not crampon proof either which is wht my new ones stay safe in my gear stash until I put a bigger rip in the old ones.

On a day like today (100+) I'm thinking a rain T-shirt made of 100% cotton.

In the summer the temp would have to be in the low 60's or less before I considered wearing a jacket, Gore-tex or otherwise, if it was a coated nylon or other non-breathable material & I had a poly shirt on, it would likely have to get even colder.

Chip said:
I like nylon chaps and don't know why they're so rare.
folks I used to backpack with about 15 years ago wore the nylon chaps and swore by them - Cool and breathable over the thighs. I had always meant to get a pair from Campmor but I think they stopped selling them a few years back

Rick said:
folks I used to backpack with about 15 years ago wore the nylon chaps and swore by them - Cool and breathable over the thighs. I had always meant to get a pair from Campmor but I think they stopped selling them a few years back
One (current) problem with chaps is that they require a long rain jacket. Unfortunately, the current style in rain jackets is much too short--worked better with the older longer jackets (my rants on the topic can be found in previous threads... :) ). Might be usable with a poncho or with a jacket and garbage bag rain skirt.

Doug

EMS System III

I have the coat and pants called Thunderstorm I believe. It's EMS' System III gear and each cost I think around $50 or so, not bad. I like them, keeps me dry when I put the on at the right time. <LOL> They are also light and roll up in the pack very tightly.