Reflections on list finishing (Cats 35)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
The 35 Summarized and Superlatized:

Halia's picks -

Favorite peak: Tough choice. Twin, because we got married there? KHP has a great vibe… but I hate that ring of mud around the summit. Love the trail up to Wittenberg, but it is too popular, too heavily traveled… Maybe Slide, just because it is Slide.

Favorite hike:
A tie:
• Our hike of the Blackheads in summer because I was thoroughly relaxed and able to be in the moment. That may have been because we didn’t take the dogs, and used the bicycles to get back to the truck.
• The bushwack approach to Slide via the Neversink. Because it was a stretch for us to do such a long bushwack in relatively unfamiliar forest. That moment of reaching the WCS trail and realizing we had done it was nearly unparalleled in joyful triumph. It was also a gorgeous day and the summit of Slide was empty.
• The 4 bushwack peaks with Ralph, The Swede and George. This one was amazing for its sheer level of effort – and some of those views. To crash through the forest almost blindly and pop out at the canister 4 times in a row was crazy/fun/awesome…

Favorite trailhead: Denning. That trailhead has just got something wonderful and special going on… it doesn’t feel like all the others. If I could, I’d want to live there. That’s how much I like it.

Favorite piece of equipment: The contenders (all purchased after starting the list): crampons, new daypack, GPS unit, new winter boots, polar fleece tights, true hiking pants, duofold underlayers, LLBean silk undershirt. Almost all purchased at either Goodwill, tag sales, or Salvation Army. The winner: the silk undershirt. Keen winter boots a close runner up.

Biggest waste of money (equipment-wise): Yaxtrax. Useful for comedy, watching Flammeus’ face when they broke in the first 100 yards of use. Otherwise utterly useless.

Most thoroughly detested peak: Halcott. No explanations needed.

Worst hike: First effort up Halcott. Blackberries, nettles, heat, bugs…

Funniest moment: My angry reaction to a trail encounter with a gearhead. My tirade against the offending hiker lasted the duration of the hike. Actually, it hasn’t really ended yet. Runner up: hiking up Plateau from Stony Clove in a thunderstorm – basically like hiking under a shower head. I have a strange sense of humor.

Stupidest moment: Perhaps stupidest words uttered: “Bushwacking is easy.” Spoken at the SW Hunter canister. Stupidest moment may have been hiking down the wrong side of Halcott and not realizing until we came out on route 42, 5 miles from the car. Side hilling all the way around North Dome is a runner up for stupidest decision. Notice neither of the major thunderstorm hikes get called stupid…

Scariest moment: 1St effort up Blackhead in winter, heading up from the east (Escarpment trail) without crampons. Even the dogs were scared.

Favorite view: So many to choose from… Sherrill, the ledge off Table, Buck Ridge lookout on West Kill, the fire tower view on Balsam Lake… depending upon the weather, views off the Devil’s Path (Twin, Sugarloaf)

Biggest disappointment: getting skunked on 1st effort up Blackhead last winter? Or perhaps that the list isn’t longer…

Biggest surprise: How much I loved North Dome and Sherrill. That view spot on Sherrill was pure magic. And how much I enjoy winter hiking (never really did much before this list).

Most amazing moment: Standing atop Sugarloaf in a thunderstorm, looking out over the valleys to the south and west, and watching the lightning strike.

Peaks beckoning for another visit: Lone. Sherrill. Balsam Lake (over and over – wish I lived in that neighborhood!). Table and Peek. KHP (hurricane ledge). Doubletop.

Stupidest moment: Perhaps stupidest words uttered: “Bushwacking is easy.” Spoken at the SW Hunter canister. Stupidest moment may have been hiking down the wrong side of Halcott and not realizing until we came out on route 42, 5 miles from the car. Side hilling all the way around North Dome is a runner up for stupidest decision. Notice neither of the major thunderstorm hikes get called stupid…

Ha, ha. Hiking down the wrong side of a mountain should be a requirement for the 3500 Club. I did it on Doubletop in a thick fog!! SW Hunter ... yeah took me 3 tries to find the stinking cannister. :eek:

Congrats.

Last edited:
Ha, ha. Hiking down the wrong side of a mountain should be a requirement for the 3500 Club. I did it on Doubletop in a thick fog!! SW Hunter ... yeah took me 3 tries to find the stinking cannister. :eek:

Congrats.

Thanks, big cat.

Sheesh - a Doubletop spazz out sounds a whole lot scarier than measly little Halcott...:eek:

Funny how the approach makes all the difference - I complained for a year about how tough Fir is, and then strolled right up to the canister after taking a different route. Ok, not strolled.

SW Hunter and Rocky have reputations for being tough (re: finding the stinkin' canister) but approached from the right angle (or cheating by hiking with Ralph-the-canister-magnet) they are no tougher than any other.

See ya out there :)
H

Hey very well done! Congrats on your finish. I second Mt. Sherril's view as one of the best. Also know what you're talking about with Halcott. This peak was my 34th and the last and easiest bushwack... Also went down the wrong side of the mountain. It was very memorable as I almost got steamrolled by a huge bear on the steeps of the notch! Thanks for sharing and I'm sure I'll meet up with you guys on some more trips.

Awh!!! Halcott, or "Hawkit" has its finer points: the ancient grove of Hemlocks, the gaint Ash, Maples and Oaks that are hidden about. The mysterious cairns that finally have meaning, several waterfalls, solitude, some great snowshoe skiing off one particular ridge,
AND, it makes you really appreciate the other 34.:)

Not to be contrary, but I really like Halcott. ;)

Can't say its my favorite, but for a short hike, it can throw a lot at you in a short period of time.

Happy New Year

You got married on Twin? That's awesome!!!! I just love Twin, and I love the concept of attendees having to get there on thier own foot power!

On Denning -- amazing house in the clearing there, just love that estate. What a magical place -- and the view of it from the trail up Table -- so special.

Great reflections, thanks for sharing!! They really take me back....:)

mudhook - your comments make me want to go hike Halcott... that's talent! The waterfalls are magnificent - we drove past today on route 42, and there are a few truly regal frozen cascades visible from the road. I guess minus the nettles and blackberry brambles it might be tolerable :D maybe with a guide to underscore its finer points. And Alan, you're right - it is accessible, and could throw quite a lot at you in a short distance.

Yeah... getting married on Twin :) - what a day. Mudhook inadvertently attended (a potential downside of getting married in public - anyone can just wander in;)) We didn't have guests - just our daughters, a witness, the judge and a friend to hold the camera. It was a day to remember.

And the man that lives in that gorgeous estate at Denning - he has a belgian dog (same breed as Lily). Small world! But no wonder you appreciate the vibe there - it is infused with intense canine goodness! We took Lily up Table and Peekamoose for her first hike with us.

Flammeus speaks(w/permission) :)

Hi and thanks to all of you who encouraged and inspired us. While I might have a different opinion for of a few of the items on Halia's list, they're minor. More importantly I want to acknowledge that without Halia I probably never have completed the 3500 list. I'd known about it for a decade or so but never felt compelled to actively pursue its completion. When we met I already owned three different pairs of snowshoes, five packs and four pairs of boots. Halia had one pair of snow shoes she'd never used and second hand hiking boots. Yet it was she who literally ran me into the ground with her energy and unbridled enthusiasm. All the gear didn't change the fact that I had to up my game or quit. Quitting wasn't an option but it was a helluva lot of work. I lost twelve pounds. :)

Thank you Halia, for everything.

I'm glad that you placed the "Neversink Four" up there as one of your favorite hikes during your 35 journey. Definitely one of my favorites too.
2876798702_43b4d10466.jpg

Great inspiring recap!

Favorite peak: Tough choice. Twin, because we got married there? KHP has a great vibe… but I hate that ring of mud around the summit. Love the trail up to Wittenberg, but it is too popular, too heavily traveled… Maybe Slide, just because it is Slide.

QUOTE]

Getting married on a mtn is always the way to go! Ha ha ha! I wonder if I did that how many of those family members I HAD to invite will be too lazy to hike :) ha ha!

I must agree with the Wittenberg trail - it is one of my favorites! I especially love this little spot (about a mile from the Woodland Valley trail head) where there is a viewpoint to the left of the trail and an open forest floor (It almost feels like you can bounce on it)...but anyway there is this tree that sits about 10 feet from the look out and it is shaped like an "L" I like to sit on it and dangle my legs off of it :) But alas...those other hikers who share that same passion flock to Wittenberg - during the winter M-F it's EMPTY :)

Favorite trailhead: Denning. That trailhead has just got something wonderful and special going on… it doesn’t feel like all the others. If I could, I’d want to live there. That’s how much I like it.

I have to agree, it's a beautiful trailhead and area - one of my favs in the Catskills as well.

2299714730043328643S500x500Q85.jpg