REI dividends should be arriving..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Got mine today! $185 to spend, only about $6.90 from shopping at REI though. The only REI I went to this year was the one in Portland, OR. The rest is just using my visa...

What to buy....hmmm.... :)

Jay

FYI - you don't actually have to wait until you receive the mailing. You can check your balance online generally a week before by throwing stuff in your cart on rei.com and then your balance will show up, asking if you want to apply it.

You can also just ask the REI folks in the stores if your balance is availabile. No need to bring the actual 20% coupon in, either. :rolleyes:

...and if, god forbid, you don't buy gear with your rebate, you can get the full cash value for it after July 1.

dentonfabrics said:
...and if, god forbid, you don't buy gear with your rebate, you can get the full cash value for it after July 1.

HAHAHA, don't buy gear... you're funny! :D HAHAHA..

Jay

Jay H said:

Jay
I know of a "not so good" way of taking the cash for the refund. I didn't spend a dime on gear after buying a Kayak paddle in early March, and took the remaining $93 in cash in September. This year, $289.74. Not a bad haul. Looks like more kayaking gear (and from what my doctor's tell me: a ski helmet. Another blow to the head would not be a good thing :rolleyes: )

I discovered an even quicker way to get a refund - When I discovered I would have to wait until July, I decided screw it and bought $300+ in gear (Including a yak paddle, SK :) ) last spring from rei.com as soon as I received my dividend notice I ended up returning the paddle and several other items to the Conshohocken store - They couldn't recredit my REI dividend points, so they cashed me out right there - $300+ in cold hard cash!! Sweet..

(Course now this feels like a discussion right out of "There's Something about Mary"...... Why would anyone want an 8 minute workout tape when they can have a 7 minute workout tape.") :D

Last edited:
Jay H said:

Jay

We've got so much stuff,I really can't find anything to buy at REI. Scary thing is,I wonder how much I spent to get to this point! :eek:

I buy my kayak gear at New England Small Craft. They sell drop dead serious kayak stuff that REI doesn't carry,like ultra light carbon fibre paddles for $400!
I gotta have one....my WindSwift is gettin' tired.

And then my boss gave me a Holiday bonus...a $500 REI gift card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we're going kayaking in Tahoe with REI. :D

I consider this to be "The most wonderful time of the year!!!!"

Thanks for the heads up! I can't wait to get mine, it will be the first ever since I just got my card last August. I know it will top out around 30-35 bucks, good enough for me!

Yup, you get more of a discount with REI purchases and not the outlet purchases but you get 1% of stuff if you have an REI Visa card...

..or something like that, I forget the details.. Most of my REI points is not from REI purchases, since I only really buy closeouts and outlet stuff, most of it is just 1% from my REI Visa card..

Jay

Yup, you get more of a discount with REI purchases and not the outlet purchases but you get 1% of stuff if you have an REI Visa card...

..or something like that, I forget the details.. Most of my REI points is not from REI purchases, since I only really buy closeouts and outlet stuff, most of it is just 1% from my REI Visa card..

Jay

Yea, 5% on REI purchases, 1% on non-REI purchases. You must be a member of REI to even get the REI credit card. It's a pretty sweet system, like we even need an excuse to spend more money on gear ;)

A reminder - it's not a bad idea to wait until REI sends you the dividend info in the mail, even though you can determine the amount, and even 'spend' it now. The reason is - REI usually gives you a 20% off discount off list on one item (excluding a few things, like GPS's). So, if you've got your eye on a big ticket item - you might wait a week or two until the dividend is formally announced.

AFAI remember, that 20% coupon is off one full-price item, so if there is already a 20% off sale and the shiny new gear thingy (SNGT :) ) is already on a 20% off sale, the point is moot.

Jay

This thread sure has long survival.

It is that time of year again, today I learned my rebate will be $363.97. That part is cool, but tomorrow (2/28/09) I leave for a new permanent job in the UK and there are no REI stores in the UK! Bummer!

Also, there are no ADKs. Real bummer!!!!!
But the Scotland Highlands are pretty cool.

This thread sure has long survival.

It is that time of year again, today I learned my rebate will be $363.97. That part is cool, but tomorrow (2/28/09) I leave for a new permanent job in the UK and there are no REI stores in the UK! Bummer!

Also, there are no ADKs. Real bummer!!!!!
But the Scotland Highlands are pretty cool.

That's a pretty substantial dividend! Nice.

But sad day that you're leaving! I wish you well, my friend, in your travels. My next-door-neighbor is from Germany, and he has told me about some AMAZING outdoor stores in Europe and specifically in Germany and the UK. Maybe you'll find something even better than REI!