Requested Information- Allen and the Sewards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatz

Reaction score
I plan to travel from Kansas in late June, and hope to hike Allen and the Sewards (minus Semour).

1. What is the easiest route to Allen, and how is the trail? Is it best to hike from the Loj or UW? If from UW, through the Flowed Lands? I read a while ago about trail work to remove blow-down, and recently about a bridge being washed out.

2. What is the easiest route to the Sewards, and how is the trail? I took the Ward Brook trail to Semour a few years ago, but understand that the Calkins Brook Trail may be easier for the Sewards. If so, where is the best parking, and where does the Calkins Brook trail split off of the Ward Brook.

For both, I'd appreciate GPS waypoints if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Schatz

Schatz said:
1. What is the easiest route to Allen, and how is the trail? Is it best to hike from the Loj or UW? If from UW, through the Flowed Lands? I read a while ago about trail work to remove blow-down, and recently about a bridge being washed out.

2. What is the easiest route to the Sewards, and how is the trail? I took the Ward Brook trail to Semour a few years ago, but understand that the Calkins Brook Trail may be easier for the Sewards. If so, where is the best parking, and where does the Calkins Brook trail split off of the Ward Brook.
1. The bridge is still out, but plans are afoot to fix it. Stay tuned to this board. The trailhead for Adams is also the trailhead for Allen. There are numerous descriptions of getting to Allen, I will leave the search to you. It's about 18 miles round trip. Generally, you get to Skylight Brook, then Allen Brook, then up the slide. Watch out for the slime! :D

2. The Calkins Brook Trail: Same parking lot. You turn right (South) here:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.18547,-74.24157&z=14&t=T

and start the herd path about here:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.16109,-74.25427&z=14&t=T

You have to cross the brook, the herd path is on the South side. It is easier in that you do not have to climb Seward twice. When you get to the col, you will know it. Donaldson is a short way to the right, Emmons farther. Seward is to the left.

Both of these hikes are largely on (officially) unmaintained trails. Neither one is terribly difficult to find and follow, usually. Water is plentiful along the way to Allen. Also up to about 3200', water is available on Calkins Brook herd path. Note, the brook gets pretty far away, and the way down is very steep at times, expect to find tributaries crossing the path instead of going down to the brook.

Good luck! :)

Allen is nearly always done from Upper Works (except if your name is Neil - DO NOT look directly at his avatar!). The parking area for that trailhead (Upper Hudson, Adams, Allen) is just past the stone furnace, and before the end of the road where you would park for Flowed Land. Because the bridge over the Opalescent washed out this spring, that crossing is currently a ford. Hopefully, the bridge will be replaced soon, although in the low water of a hot summer day, fording the Opalescent might not be so bad! ;)

Last edited:
Former Bridge

I waded across the Opalescent today on my way to Allen. The bridge is in pretty bad shape and may need complete replacement (hope it does not take as long as the one at JB Int. Outpost!). The cables were ripped out of the anchors on the east side but are still attached on the west side. About half of the bridge deck is broken/destroyed. I am not sure a repair will be feasible, or worth the effort. Let's hope DEC is "working on it" ;) .

I took Teva sandals for wading, and the "best route" water level near the bridge was about up to my knees, 20" (50 cm), but I was crossing on rocks! There are deeper spots and the current is swift. Caution is advised, and knowledge of recent rain and water levels are required, if you want to cross the Opalescent there. It is not easy and could be dangerous.

Thank you Joe for that update. :)
We have to go there in a few weeks. On our 4 summits to completed our 46, I put it next to last.

Yvon,

Watch the weather and go for Allen after several dry days. You can do it! I doubt the bridge will be be replaced this year, especially if they have to build a new one.