Rescued - Does it count?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark Schaefer said:
I have observed and participated in several Catskill 3500 and Adirondack 46er completion celebrations on summits. At other times I have seen a hiker reach a summit and exuberantly shout "Number 23" or some other number. I have yet to observe any such behavior at a trailhead after a hike. Go figure. ;)

There's something I never thought about. I've seen lots of people post about popping champagne at the top and celebrating for their 46th. How embarrassing would it be to have to repeat the hike after that! :eek:

That decides it, on my 46th I'm gonna have a big smile on my face when I get to the top, maybe high five a few people, then get the heck down and have a tailgate BBQ!

-Shayne

Mark Schaefer said:
From the 46er book: Of the Summits, of the Forests, The Forty-six Peaks chapter, Saddleback entry: I agree with the requirement that a hiker must return to a trailhead to officially count the summits. The above account is no doubt a rare exception that was granted under extraordinary circumstances. We hikers are a curious lot; always eager and ready to celebrate. Perhaps we are overly self-confident in our ability to climb down from a summit. I have observed and participated in several Catskill 3500 and Adirondack 46er completion celebrations on summits. At other times I have seen a hiker reach a summit and exuberantly shout "Number 23" or some other number. I have yet to observe any such behavior at a trailhead after a hike. Go figure. ;)

We had a celebration at the top of Carrigain for sure, but we also had another brief celebration at the bottom. Witness:

http://viewsandbrews.com/IMG_9326.JPG

Tom (just got my 111 patch) Rankin

Nadine said:
When I broke my leg descending Mt Mansfield and had to be carried out in a litter, I went back two years later and tagged up to where I fell. I didn't feel right counting a peak I had'nt fully descended independently.

I was actually just thinking about that. As per rules, if you go back and tag up, is that acceptable?

I'm only asking I guess the specifics of the 46/111 rules. For all other purposes I'd say you got it.

-Shayne

ChrisB said:
...but only if you die during the course of the rescue!

cb

You thought I was kidding, right?

I think there have been atl east two instances where folks who succumbed on their last 4k were awarded the peak posthumously.

cb

spaddock said:
I was actually just thinking about that. As per rules, if you go back and tag up, is that acceptable?
Not by my reading of the rules. You have to go do the whole hike, from trailhead to summit to trailhead, again. There no such thing as a partial hike.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Not by my reading of the rules. You have to go do the whole hike, from trailhead to summit to trailhead, again. There no such thing as a partial hike.

-dave-

I was thining the same thing, but I didn't want to rain on Nadine's parade.

I'll pretend I never read that, Nadine :D

spencer

H.O.O.F. technicality explained

Concerning all those inquiries on a H.O.O.F.-list technicality:

Yes, you can hop up on one foot (e.g., right foot) and change to the other foot (e.g., left foot) to hop down.

You cannot alternate between single hops. That's called "walking."

Last edited:
Here's a new twist. While standing on Katahdins summit last summer I was wondering if my hike would count if I jumped off the peak, landed safely in Chimney Pond and then walked back to my car from there.

Another twist would be if you parachute or hang glide from the peak to the base. Could you count that hike? Would this be equivalent to skiing down a mountain in the winter?

TenPeaks said:
Another twist would be if you parachute or hang glide from the peak to the base. Could you count that hike? Would this be equivalent to skiing down a mountain in the winter?

Maybe we could start a trend. I for one always envisioned a "zip cord" from Baxter peak to Chimmney pond.

TenPeaks said:
Here's a new twist. While standing on Katahdins summit last summer I was wondering if my hike would count if I jumped off the peak, landed safely in Chimney Pond and then walked back to my car from there.
If you could jump off the Katahdin summit into Chimney Pond and walk away from it, I'd recommend that you get your patch -- even if you hadn't done a single other 4000'er. It's like a "proceed to GO and collect $200" type of thing in my opinion.

How about this situation though. Say you saved Carrigan for your last peak of the 48. And say, you make it to the summit and celebrate. Say, the celebration gets out of hand and some maniac grabs you in ecstatic joy and carries you all the way down the mountain even though you wanted to hike out yourself! Would you have to go all the way back up to the summit? Or could this be considered a "special circumstance" because technically you were kidnapped off the mountain and didn't have to be rescued.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
How about this situation though. Say you saved Carrigan for your last peak of the 48. And say, you make it to the summit and celebrate. Say, the celebration gets out of hand and some maniac grabs you in ecstatic joy and carries you all the way down the mountain even though you wanted to hike out yourself! Would you have to go all the way back up to the summit? Or could this be considered a "special circumstance" because technically you were kidnapped off the mountain and didn't have to be rescued.

-Dr. Wu

Amazing scenario, that really makes me think about climbing my 48th peak.

Poppycock I Say!

Nadine,

You SLACKER!! You must have caught Gene D. on an off day.

In truth, all the summits you've done since since that "tag-up" felony are also disallowed.

But, for a few $$ I'd be willing to appeal your case to Judge Savage. (I hear he might be a tad more liberal than his predecessor!)

cb

Ok, so you've made it to your last peak and while napping in the aspen glow a hungry bear comes out of hibernation and eats you. Drawing upon the energy from this well nourished hiker the bear descends to the trailhead and takes a dump. Does the stool qualify for a patch? :confused:

Stan said:
Ok, so you've made it to your last peak and while napping in the aspen glow a hungry bear comes out of hibernation and eats you. Drawing upon the energy from this well nourished hiker the bear descends to the trailhead and takes a dump. Does the stool qualify for a patch? :confused:

Nope, cuz you didn't get down under your own power. :D

spaddock said:
Nope, cuz you didn't get down under your own power. :D
Alright, well then what if you get possessed by The Devil? You'd get down with your own physical power but not your own volition. Do you get a patch, or does The Devil?

-Wu