Rhode Island camping question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Looking to go to Newport Rhode Island next weekend....any suggestions about campgrounds near the area?....any other advise is welcomed......thx
We are probably just doing the tourist thing, walking the beaches and checking out the area...

I would suggest Ft. Getty, a state run CG in Jamestown. It's right on the bay with an old army fort to explore and it's just a quick jump over the Pell Bridge (Rt 138) to Newport.

Don't wanna be spreading any negative vibes, but I think that there's a really good chance you won't be getting into Ft. Getty on the July 4 weekend.
A back-up plan might be Fisherman's Memorial SP in Point Judith.
It's not as cool as Ft. Getty, and it's further away from Newport, but they have more sites.
Like I said...it's a back-up plan

Tom, of course i checked out your site....will check out Fisherman's...thx for info

Hey David, when we were kayaking the naragansett, the VfTT kayak klan camped (car camped) at a private campground not far from Fort Getty (near exeter) called Peeper's Pond. We launched out of Fort Getty i think and it looked like a madhouse, RVs on every inch, crowded.

http://www.ricampgrounds.com/Peeper_Pond.htm

It was pretty nice, basic but clean and small and quiet..

Jay