Rock Rimmon Hill in Kingston NH???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone out there ever been up this hill? Apparently, it has pretty good lookouts for being in the Kingston area. I can't find any trail info on it at all online. I was hoping to take a trip over there tonight with my wife and baby to hike it. But again, I have no real info/map on it.

Any help would be appreciated (how to get to the trailhead, trails to follow, online info location, etc.).

Thanks!
Karl

Rockrimmon

From the Kingston Plains take Rockrimmon Rd. next to the fire station. You'll come to a place where the paved road ends, stay on the dirt road about 1/2-3/4 of a mile. There's a place on the right across from the last driveway you can park, just off the road. If you have good clearance on your vehicle you can keep going, there is a parking area, but it's muddy, rutty and lots of rocks. We usually walk it. DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING VALUABLE IN YOUR CAR! It is known for break-ins.

Walk the road in. About 1/2 mile in you'll see a trail with orange blazing on the left. Take this to the summit. It crosses the road and uses the road to get you there. The fire tower is long gone, which sucks, because you could see the ocean and the Belknaps from there. There are still good local views to the west, a great sunset spot. A party place, though, and lots of broken glass and graffiti on the rocks, but still worth the hike.

KDT

I think that Rock Rimmon is in Manchester. It's said to have great views but I haven't been there yet. I don't know of one of similar name in Kingston. Hope this helps in your quest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrnmenLAGH0
This one is a minor rock climbing area. Beware--the holds are often covered in glass fragments...

The top is a bare outcrop just above tree level. I haven't been there for many years, but IIRC it has a nice view to the S and SE.

Too short to be much of a hike.

Doug

Thanks everyone for the info.

Looks like my plans are shot this afternoon, however...thunderstorms rolling in all over the place!

@RoySwker - that maps.acme.com is an awesome site. I didn't know about this...looks like it will be a new favorite of mine moving forward!

@Kevin - Thanks for the info. I think access from this point will be easier for me to get to. The AMC Southern NH guide only has access from the Danville side. Also, thanks for the info on break-ins. That's a shame and a bit sketchy. I'll definitely be going mid-day to minimize this risk!

@DougPaul - The word "hike" is relative...getting outside and walking any distance in the woods is a good enough hike for me!!! :)

Thanks again everyone!
Karl

This one is a minor rock climbing area. Beware--the holds are often covered in glass fragments...

The top is a bare outcrop just above tree level. I haven't been there for many years, but IIRC it has a nice view to the S and SE.

Too short to be much of a hike.

Doug

rock rimmond in manchester is right in the city more of a bouldering/ climbing spot than a hiking objective

Not only is a bouldering spot, it's been known to host a party or two in the past. ;)