Rocky Branch trail question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean

Reaction score
We're thinking of doing a backpack this weekend up on Montalban Ridge. Planning on a late start on day 1 from route 16, camping at shelter #2 then camp at Resolution shelter on day 2. We'd complete the loop via Stairs Col trail and Rocky Branch trail.
I've never been on the Rocky Branch trail but I see quite a few water crossings on the map including one of Upper Stairs brook.
How manageable are the crossings between shelter #1 and #2 at this time of year?

Can't help with crossings, but be aware that the Jericho Road gate will not be open. Have fun!

happy trails :)

Snow bridges will probably be gone, and Rocky Branch trail from the height of land down to the Shelter was not broken out the last time I was there (everyone had been using a bushwhack to get Iso avoiding the shelter completely). This one may be a tough one to tag for this weekend....sorry. :eek:

Brian

I was there on Sunday. All of the snow bridges are gone. Trail was broken from Rt 16 to shelter, but several guys who had stayed over Sat. night at Shelter #2 had a rough time crossing the stream. All of the water crossings are trouble in high water. With all of this rain and melting this week, I would expect the stream to be swollen.

The whites are in the beginning of spring thaw. The trails are going to be difficult. The snow pack is still quite high on the slopes and the contents of this snow needs to find a way out to the ocean. Rocky Branch is one of those routes and it is going to be flowing a lot of water. Even normally dry sections of trail are going to be wet as seasonal flowages are going to be running. Plan on getting real wet, whitewater canoeing footware and socks may be more appropriate than regular footwear.

If you do encounter snow it will most likely wlll be "rotten" ans snowshoes may not be sufficient to prevent postholing. Throw in the inevitable blowdowns that seem to frequent the area and it has the potential to be less than a pleasant weekend. Then again to each their own;)

if the goal is to get to isolation you may want to bring a tent and camp on the east side of the rocky branch (before the first crossing at the designated tent site) if the crossing is high. you can then bushwack up the east side of the river for about .4 miles then connect with the trail. it is a very short and easy bushwack around the next two crossings leaving you only the fifth and final crossing to contend with. in the past i've found a good spot 25 yards or so upstream where i've made it across without getting wet in moderately high water. if done as an out and back this greatly minimizes the number of water crossings.
have fun.

bryan

Sounds like a difficult hike to me. I agree with what everyone else says about snow conditions. The north-south branch of Rocky Branch Tr and Davis Path south of Isolation probably have seen very little traffic over the winter and I bet the Stairs Col has seen none with Jericho rd being closed. On those sections the snow will be unconsolidated and expect postholing with snowshoes. Any blowdowns from this winter will likely be uncleared.

Being somewhere around 24 miles I would either have enough food, supplies, and time scheduled out to add another day of needed or I would spot a car at Davis Path on 302.

Also be aware that the low point (elevation wise) of the hike will be at the Stairs Col/Rocky Branch intersection. So you will have to climb to get to Shelter #2 and again to Engine Hill on your return.

I did a similar loop from Jericho Rd last fall. I did so when water levels were low. You can check the water levels for the Saco, into which the Rocky Branch flows, here

http://nh.water.usgs.gov/WaterData/station_map.htm

I had no problems with the crossings then but the water levels are higher now with snowmelt and heavy rain yesterday that caused flood watches on the Saco. The north-south branch of the Rocky Branch crosses the Rocky Branch 4 times but always returns to the west side. There are a couple crossings of side brooks including Upper Stairs Brook. As the WMG says

"These crossings are difficult at high water; it may be practical to avoid some or all—particularly the upstream pair, which are a bit more than 0.1 mi. apart, while the downstream pair are 0.4 mi. apart—by bushwhacking along the west bank."

I would recommend checking out Mt. Davis and Stairs Mtn. Better views than Isolation. Good luck.

I would recommend checking out Mt. Davis and Stairs Mtn. Better views than Isolation. Good luck.

What is the goal?

Here's an idea:

Day 1: Davis Path from Rt. 302 will lead you to the awesome summit of Crawford. From there, it is easy. There is a gorgeous campsite at the Giant Stairs (5 miles in)- much nicer than Resolution Shelter IMHO.

If conditions are good, you can continue to Davis or Isolation and back to your camp on Day 2. Bactrack out on Day 3 with enough time left for a bowl of chili and a cold beer!

Thank you all for the input.

Our objective is not necessarly to do Isolation but to enjoy a 3 day loop on trails we hadn't tried before. I don't mind the rotten snow as much as difficult water crossings with a full pack.

I'll have to study the maps again tonight.
I have hiked by that Giant Stairs campsite. It is definitely an option I'll be looking into.