Romance and Hiking Do Mix, 11/12/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
November 12, 2011: Whiteface & Passaconaway

Trails: Blueberry Ledge Trail, Rollins Trail, Dicey’s Mill Trail

Summits: Whiteface and Passaconaway

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Because of the NWS forecast of high winds above 5000 feet Sue and I decided to head for something sheltered. Whiteface and Passaconaway were the best targets on our list. We’ve hiked this loop quite a few times, in both directions, but this will be our first time hiking the relocated Blueberry Ledge Trail. Recently a section of the Blueberry Ledge Trail was relocated to get it away from a wet, muddy area and onto dry ground.

The early part of the trail leading to the relocated section was clear and generally dry. Eventually, we found ourselves on a trail that was not well worn or blazed. There were a few pieces of flagging that marked the route. We were on the new trail section. We back-tracked a short distance to find the location where the new route started and could see the old trail was very well blocked with brush. We didn’t bother following the old trail at all to see if the blazes had been removed. The relocated trail section completely bypassed the muddy, wet area that was always a mess. Once the relocated trail gets warn in it should be a very nice improvement. After the muddy section, the old route climbed a slope, which is the area where the relocated route re-joins the original route.

We continued on generally clear and dry conditions all of the way to the slabs that are in the area of the Blueberry Ledge Cutoff upper junction. There, we started to encounter ice and foot placement started to be an issue. Off the slabs and we were off the ice, for a while. We cleared the Tom Wiggin trail junction and approached the ledges that lead to the South Summit. At the first section of ledge the ice became significant and we immediately pulled out the MicroSpikes. We stayed with MicroSpikes until we were well into our exit walk from Passaconaway.

As usual, the first section of ledge is the toughest for me. We were bunched up with several others and patiently waited our turn to start up. As usual, Sue went first and showed the way. In no time we were both through the first test and a couple behind us with a pair of dogs were preparing to dig in. We continued on our climb. Ledge to ledge the climb went without a problem. Sue and I have been up and down these ledges quite a few times together, in all kinds of conditions, and this trip through went fast. In very little time we were on Whiteface South Summit enjoying the views. I considered stopping for a snack but the wind was a little uncomfortable. The food can wait. At this point we knew of eight people and two dogs also hiking the loop in the same direction.

We left the ledges headed to the summit of Whiteface roughly an hour ahead of plan, which was quite a surprise since we were taking a fairly leisurely approach to the day. While at the summit a pair of hikers we had leapfrogged with came up from behind. They were happy to register the summit with pictures. After a short visit we were off for Passaconaway.

The mud pits along the way were not frozen and still a potential mess. We could see where some people just charged through. Roughly half way to the Dicey’s Mill Trail junction we came upon the first of several hikers headed the opposite direction on the loop. We generally exchanged greetings and a trail conditions report then were on our way.

Whoever said there was no romance in hiking was wrong……..

We were most of the way to the trail junction when we met one particular happy pair. The woman was in the lead and appeared to be really enjoying the day. We stopped to visit. With my bad hearing I miss a lot of details when we stop but Sue usually fills me in later, at least with the important stuff. Sue commented on the icy conditions of the ledges and the others told us about the trail to Passaconaway. Before they left I stopped the woman to ask a final question. She was holding a pair of hiking poles in one hand and that hand was near shoulder level – almost like it was being protected. She wasn’t wearing gloves. There was a beautiful – and HUGE diamond on her finger. I asked the woman – “Did he buy that for you?” (Motioning to the fellow she was with). Her face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning and she said he did. I looked at him and simply said “Show off!” The thing was impressive. (I didn’t hear the next comment but Sue filled me in later.) The fellow spoke up and said “She has been wearing it for roughly thirty minutes.” He proposed to her on the summit of Passaconaway – she made his day with a “YES!”. First try, no do-over was necessary.

Awwwwww, isn’t that nice.

After a few additional comments Sue congratulated them and we were on our way.

We reached the Dicey’s Mill junction and were bunched up with three other couples and two dogs. One of the couples decided to call it a day and started down to the trailhead. One of the other couples asked how far it was to the summit and I said .9 miles and 750 feet of elevation – it’s just around the corner. The rest of us continued separately together to the summit. Soon there were six people and two dogs enjoying the views at the open ledge near the summit of Passaconaway.

After briefly visiting and enjoying the views the others took off while Sue and I went to the summit for the usual pictures. Soon we were on our exit hike. The trip to the trailhead went without any surprises at all. Somewhere around 3000 feet we retired the MicroSpikes and cruised to the trailhead. Soon after passing the lower junction of Tom Wiggin Trail four others that we had passed between Whiteface and Passaconaway came up from behind. Evidently they had an interesting time descending the icy ledges. None appeared injured but they all seemed happy to be on the home stretch.

Within a half hour we were at the truck preparing to hit the highway south. While we were packing, the couple we met with the HUGE diamond arrived to the trailhead. Both still seemed happy – real happy. I hope that lasts for a long, long time.

Everybody went about their post-hike routines and soon after nearly all of the others had left we were on the road south.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Last edited:
Awesome report as always Earl when I first read the title I thought It was you that got down on one knee

That kind of balances out the time I met a new groom on Bondcliff a few years ago ("just got married a half hour ago," he announced) and the new bride was apparently hiking alone at least a mile back..... :eek:

That's a great story Earl. Nice report.
Thanks Jacob – It was a fun day. This couple took a day that was already pretty good and gave it a real boost.

:)

Awesome report as always Earl
…….
Thanks freighttrain48.

;)

Roy – I think this is another case of “You can’t judge a book by its cover.

:rolleyes:

That kind of balances out the time I met a new groom on Bondcliff a few years ago ("just got married a half hour ago," he announced) and the new bride was apparently hiking alone at least a mile back..... :eek:
Hey Becca,

I’ve been sitting here with quite a few comments flying around in my head but I can’t zero in on even one that won’t upset somebody.

So, I pass.

:D

my first hand experience is that being proposed to on a mountain top is very nice indeed.

I'll second that -- Mt. Whitney at sunrise. ;)

What a great story Earl. That made my day.:)

Thanks Ed – glad you enjoyed it.

There was a small detail I neglected to include in the report……

At the end of the day when we met again at the trailhead and as they walked past the truck, I asked the guy “Where did it take place?”

His response was “We hiked Blueberry Ledge Trail”.

Immediately his fiancé looked at him with a puzzled expression and shaking her head. I also looked at him with a puzzled expression. Finally it registered. He stuttered a bit and said “Oh, you mean where did I propose. It was on Passaconaway.”

At that point all I could say was “Pay attention.”

We all laughed.

They were packed and leaving before I got my boots off. Both waved and said goodbye as they drove away.

Sorry that I didn’t get their names and a picture.

:)

Nice report.

I proposed to my wife descending Skylight on the way to Panther Gorge. Too wowed by the view to pop the question on the summit. Or maybe afraid of the answer.

Man I meet the crazy ones, I met this girl and we hiked for 1 month and it was great, then the you know what hit the fan, we broke up on Madison in 60mile winds and blowing hail just below the summit in heavy fog, thats the last I ever saw of her, but it was a hellava month before that.;)

Man I meet the crazy ones, I met this girl and we hiked for 1 month and it was great, then the you know what hit the fan, we broke up on Madison in 60mile winds and blowing hail just below the summit in heavy fog, thats the last I ever saw of her, but it was a hellava month before that.;)

YAY, a response I can relate to!!!!! :eek:

Nice report.

I proposed to my wife descending Skylight on the way to Panther Gorge. Too wowed by the view to pop the question on the summit. Or maybe afraid of the answer.
Thanks Daniel,

Were you afraid of a “no” or maybe afraid of a “yes”???

:eek:

Hey sierra,

There are lots of varieties of crazy!

;)

Crazy isn’t necessarily bad – if it’s the right kind of crazy!

Assuming your next planned target was Appalachia, calling it quits 4+ miles from the trailhead in those conditions does seem a little crazy to me. But, that’s just me.

YAY, a response I can relate to!!!!! :eek:
Becca,

Hmmmm…..?

:cool:

Crazy isn’t necessarily bad – if it’s the right kind of crazy!

Becca,

Hmmmm…..?

ummmmm... no way to respond without offending anyone!!!! :eek: Let's just say there's some insanity out there!!!! :eek:

OK, OK, I'll say something: crazy people don't always know they're crazy although I suppose hardcore hikers know they're a *little* crazy regardless!!!

Last edited:
More than a little insanity; I could write a damn book. Though on the whole hikers are probably no less "crazy" than the rest of the population. Now climbers, that's a whole other story!! And semi-pro mountain bikers ..... Man I've clearly gotta get some different hobbies! :eek::rolleyes: