S. Twin, Galehead GRT Roberts and Hartford initiated

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pks4000

Reaction score
Starting with the wonderful Carlsons Lodge in Twin Mt.
(This warm and inviting lodge with huge rooms was made for us,..winter mountaineer types. A big wood burning stove sets the tone in the "its your home" like lobby)

In 6 decades of the Mts I never set out in temps more than 25 degress warmer at 5am than at 4pm but thats what the forecast called for and delivered.
Because the BMT require that we carry survival equiptment for weather we can reasonably expect for the next 24 hours, this eventaually cast a cloud over my trip.(see later)

With diferent personal agendas on the 3 peaks 7 BMTs hiked together to the sled drop area near the gravel outwash and then went about climb.

Eagle , Puma Road Runner and John Hartford got S.Twin.
Loon and Bill Roberts got Galehead.
I got skunked........

With my ham string tightening as I got near the hut and considering the falling temps , I very reluctantly (you all know this sinking feeling) saw my friends off to Gale Head.
I then spoke with the 4 BMTs on S. Twin by a pre arranged noon check in call and headed down... dreading a solo long slog out.

I did think it wise with bitter weather settling in to climb S/Twin and possibly cramp up near the summit.

I would certainly have become the poster boy for showing the public the real difference between summer hiking and winter mountaineering.

On descent, I slowed down by doing some vertical corridor grooming on the way down. A brief 200 vert foot glissade broke the tedium.

We all were rejooined near the interminable bottom section
and prepared for the BMT initiation ceremy in the Beaver Brook parking lot.

After A brief ad hoc meeting of the membership committee
and all with faces which relfected the seriousness of the moment, the two men were deemed to have completed the rigorous BMT Standards Course.
With Climbing Stallion presiding and Eagle, Puma, Road Runner and Loon present:

Bill Roberts became hereafter: WOLF
John Hartford became hereafter: SPIDER

Let no man tear asunder what the mountains have joined

Wolf sounds more dignified than what we started with at Carlson's for Bill.

Nice seeing the BMT crew again, sorry you got just to the hut. It was pretty cold up on North Twin.