Sandwich Mtn. Fri. 5/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPeaks

Reaction score
I am planning to head up to Sandwich Mtn. this Fri. I've never been up it, but it's on the N.E. & N.H. 100 Highest lists. And besides, I just want to do it. I would enjoy having company on what looks like a good day at this point. So please join in!

Hey WildPeaks,

Skimom and I were up there last Friday and it was my first time too! What a great hike and such a beautiful area! If you have the time, go up Jennings as well...the views are worth it! I wish I could join you but I've got to work that day.

-MEB

Hi MEB,

Good to hear from you. It sounds like you guys (girls) had a great trip! It may even be a little warmer than the last time we hiked. "haha"
What would you advise as far as hardwear?

Yup...that was one cold day on Waumbek! 17 below! We took Sandwich Mnt Trail and did the short bushwhack around the river at the beginning. It was pretty much hard packed snow and ice after Noon Peak. We carried snowshoes but never wore them...I used my stablicers from Jennings to Sandwich for extra traction. So, as far as what you'll want to bring is a toss up....I've been toting my snowshoes around on my last few hikes and have not used them at all but I just can't seem to leave them behind! The trail softened up up quite a bit by the time we came down. Overall a really nice walk in the woods!!

-MEB

Thanks SherpaKroto for the advice. That sounds like a good plan of attack. Right now they are calling for a mostly sunny day. :)
MEB, I hear you on the snowshoes. For me it's the crampons. It sounds like it's all coming with me. Just didn't want to haul it up there for fun. But we all know what happens when we leave it behind. Postholing doesn't even have a nice rythem to it. step, step, sink - step, sink, - sink, step - ok, I'm tired.

Sandwich Mtn is on my anti-4000 footer list. Doesn't get as much traffic as it would if it were a few feet higher. Nice peak with nice views. Nice views from Jennings Peak too.

There is a sizable stream crossing right at the start of Sandwich Mtn Tr. (You can go around it by walking the road plus a short bushwack.) You have to cross the same stream on Drake's Brook Tr, only farther in, so it might be worthwhile to check it near the road if you wish to hike DBT. Fletcher Cascades (off DBT) is also worth a look-see (gets a little steep toward the end).

Doug

Last edited:
No stragglers

WildPeaks said:
I am planning to head up to Sandwich Mtn. this Fri. I've never been up it, but it's on the N.E. & N.H. 100 Highest lists.
In case you did not know, it also holds the Carroll County Highpoint, just a bit off trail. I know what you're thinking now, "I'll never hike THAT list". I've been there.

NH Co HPs

Tramper Al said:
I know what you're thinking now, "I'll never hike THAT list". I've been there.NH Co HPs
hmm, interesting but I think it shouldn't be encouraged due to the Sullivan point inside "closely held" (businessese for very privately owned) Corbin Park. (that ledgy mountain does look inviting when viewed from I-89 though)

edit: I withdraw my opinion, am not sure what to think... of course if you have landowner permission to visit someplace it is ok. Just that if you have private land that is attractive for hiking it can be a touchy thing; if there are enough people who either don't ask permission, or who do but abuse it somehow, or too many people ask permission that it becomes a bother, then it may close the door altogether for such access.

Last edited:
arghman said:
. . . I think it shouldn't be encouraged due to the Sullivan point inside "closely held" (businessese for very privately owned) Corbin Park. (that ledgy mountain does look inviting when viewed from I-89 though)
In the link I gave above, check out the list of folks who have completed all of the New Hampshire County Highpoints. They all hiked the Sullivan CoHP legally and with permission, to my knowledge.

Hey,

Just checked the weather, and once again Rain is on it's way for the weekend. Fri. is still looking mostly Sunny! :cool:

Hi WildPeaks - Are you still planning on hiking Sandwich tomorrow? I may have the day off from work (not definite yet) and would really like to get out for a hike. What trail(s)/start time were you planning?

sal

Hi Sal,
Yes, I'm still planning on going tomorrow. The Sandwich Mtn. Tr. is the Trail. And I'm thinking of a 9:00 start time, but that can be adjusted if needed.

If you want a longer hike, meet at the Smarts Brook Trailhead (first trailhead after Sandwich Notch Road) and drop a car. Head to Sandwich and hike up the Sandwich Mtn Trail to Sandwich Dome and then down the Smarts Brook Trail.

Hi WildPeaks - Looks good for tomorrow. So, see you at the Sandwich Mtn Trail parking lot at 9?

sal