Santanonis advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalogal

Reaction score
I am planning on dayhiking the Santanonis in a couple of weeks. Can anyone advise me on a good time to hit the trail? We are what I would term moderate hikers - not too fast, not too slow. I wanted to pack in and do this as an overnight, but time constraints prevent it. Just curious as to what kind of time to allow for the hike. Thanks.

Hi local WNYer (I'm in Lewiston).

I've done these several times, mostly as dayhikes. I normally start before 7:00 and get out easily in daylight this time of year. The herd path is well formed as long as you jump off the main trail at the proper spot. If you like, I can mark up a printable map, just let me know.

I'll be doing that again in September if you are interested.

Ed

BuffaloGal,
I would probably be on the trail by 5AM - This gives you a couple of hours to make it to the herd path just before you get to Bradley Pond Leanto.
Here are my times from the Lean-to and then back out to the road that evening (After stopping and packing up at the LT)

6:50 Left L/T
9:10 Made Times Square
9:25 Left Times Square
10:45 Made Couchie spent 15 minutes at summit
12:45 Back to Times Square
1:00 Off to Santanoni with 10-15 minutes at summit
3:40 back to Times Square
3:45 off to Panther
4:00 on Panther for 15 minutes
4:30 back to Times Square
6:00 arrived back at the L/T
7:30 on the trail out after dinner (good idea I left, as I passed about 20 scouts hiking in for an overnight at the L/T)
9:45 Arrived at Upper Works Trailhead (I had originally gone in via Duck Hole)

Knock off 45 minutes to walk between Bradley Pond TH and UW TH, and 1.5 hours at the L/T packing and eating dinner made for a total trip time of 13.5 hours. I did not go fast on this trip and I lingered for 10-15 minuted on every peak. If you were going the same speed you might want to plan for perhaps 15 hours for your trip. It is probably best to grab Couchie, then Santanoni and save the easiest, Panther for last.

Hope this helps
Rick

If you start at sunrise or a little before (5:30 to 6:00 AM), you should have enough time. There is 14 hours of daylight this time of year. And you don't need much light for the road walk in/out.
It took me 12 hours last year, but I didn't linger too long on the summits (maybe 15-20 minutes or so).

And, yes, do Couchie first!

Read up on Times Square as it's a little confusing at this intersection.

I'd start out just before sunrise...

The first part (provided you start from the DEC lot for Bradley Pond) of the trail is about 1.5 or more miles along a private gravel road and the turn off to the right is well marked so it should be no problem even if it is still dark. If you are not going with someone who has done the range before, I would allow a little time for navigating Times Sq and the bog at the base of Couch. We were too far left once across the bog and followed the wrong path for a few minutes. At moderate pace, it is definitely doable in 12 - 13 hours.

I'll shoot for a 6 AM departure. If anyone with experience in the range would like to help navigate Times Square and the bog, we'd love to have you!

We were just up there 7/30 (see trip reports). I would definately agree with everyones wisdom, get couchie out of the way first. There is a hand drawn map on another site (adirondackjourneys?) that is pretty good as well. I met guys at the LT and it took me two hours from the parking lot to the trail junction ( I am moderate speed at best). I think the 13 hours from start to finish is pretty reasonable. Don't forget the gaitors!

Well here is The Map (and then some) courtesy of Joel at AdirondackJourney.com (an absolutely fantastic site for the High Peaks!!!)

I used this map last year, but got convinced that I was at Times Square when I got to the "Alphabet Trees". TRUST THE MAP! It is 100% accurate (shy of scale). I wasted at least 45 minutes following false paths through scrub, then finally got rid of the person convincing me otherwise. I sat down, looked closely at the map, and was at Times Square in 2 minutes. Couchsachraga is a loonnggggg ways down, and rather disheartening to look back up the ridge. It is however, my favorite ADK High Peak to date (but then again I have an affinity for Zealand, so YMMV). The bog was noy that bad, and I just hopped my way through it.

You are actually saving yourself at least 1.5 hours by dayhiking it. And a muddy 1.5 hours at that. I doubt I'll ever visit Bradley Pond Lean-to again, but I hope to do the Santanonis again. Figure on 14 hours to be safe, and to enjoy it!

Tank up on Water at the upper reaches of Panther Brook as you ascend!!!!!!!!!

SherpaKroto said:
Couchsachraga is a loonnggggg ways down, and rather disheartening to look back up the ridge. It is however, my favorite ADK High Peak to date (but then again I have an affinity for Zealand, so YMMV). [/B]

Sorry to bust in.... but i may have to come up fot SherpaK's first ascent of Pyramid.................... oh yeah, it's not on any list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's the best peak in NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Break all shackles!!!!!!!!...

As for couchie... it is a sweetie. Of course I love the Noni's toooooooooooooo much to dissssssssssssssssssssss them with a three-fer peak-stack. I've been up them a half a dozen times and only ponied them once.... Break them shackles and drink deep what the range has to offer... You will be rewarded.........

(okay, too many Talons tonight.........)

life is good...

The map referenced above from Adirobdack Journey is a good one. The path to Couchie starts right at the big rock...if you go more than a 10 feet past the rock you're on your way to Santanoni...at least that's my memory....

Good advice from everyone, I have just one bit of additional information. The Couchie herdpath starts exactly to the right of the big rock. The map makes it look like it may be beyond or behind the rock, but if you pass the rock you are on the Santanoni path. The map is great, just a bit out of scale.

ok, so i'm a little behind, but are the santanoni trail/times square/panther-couchie-sant trails now official trails on the map?

jeez i need to get back to the ADKs. thankfully i'm back in NY.

Oh, and i say save santanoni for last (if you haven't already gone), it's my favorite view.

Matt
adk 46r 5048

MBresle said:
ok, so i'm a little behind, but are the santanoni trail/times square/panther-couchie-sant trails now official trails on the map?

THE map? Which one is that? The map in question is a hand-drawn map.

The santanonis won't have their paths become official unofficial for several years at least. Cliff, Gray Macomb, (in a couple weeks) are on the short term radar (IE work has been done). The DEC wants the Sewards to be on the mid-term radar.

The santanonis will probably be done in time for the NEXT edition of Goodwin's book.

Matt, Terri, and I found the handdrawn map of Times Square from ADKJourney to be excellent. We didn't have one problem at all with navigation, including the Alphabet trees like SherpaK. Even though somebody scribbled a "TS" in a tree, Matt, Terri, and I figured no way that was Times Square yet as it wasn't that grand and didn't match the hand drawn map with the big rock and sloppy cairn. Once we headed towards "C" and "S" the actual Times Square was very obvious and we were easily picking out the big rock. Then the hand drawn map plain as day showed the left to Santinoni and right to Couchy from which we proceeded.

Conditions last weekend was almost perfect. In fact, didn't need gaitors at all, as mentioned in my trip report, the blue trail to the Bradley Pond leanto was wetter than any of the herd paths to times square or to the 3 peaks. Even the swamp at Couchy wasn't bad.

Jay

jeez guys,
for a second there you both scared me. I have it drawn in on my personal maps and the few times i've done it, the heard path has always been far dryer than the trail up to bradley pond. it's a shame someone carved TS up there though.

Glad you had a good trip.

Matt
adk 46r 5048