Sawtooth #5 - a big ADK 100 triple finish.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
For our moderator ;)

Finishing a list is always a great personal moment for the individuals involved, but when the list is one of the most grueling and difficult challenges that you can pursue here in the NE, it’s all the sweeter. I had the distinct pleasure of being witness to 3 of my good hiking friends finish just such a list this past Saturday, July 1. Spencer (Peak_bgr), Alan (Peakbagr) and Brian (bushwacker) completed the momentous Adirondack 100 highest on Sawtooth #5, and what a day it was.

As some of you might know, this list is an amazing challenge that is not only a great physical test, but it presents a mental element that will likely crush the will of all but the most dedicated spirits. It’ll take you from the wide open summit mecca’s like Marcy and Algonquin all the way to remote little peaks that are so remote you feel as they’ve NEVER been visited by anyone but you. At times there is overwhelming joy and at others you’ll question your sanity and swear you’ll never set foot off trail again. Outside the traditional 46 high peaks, the lower 54 offers some easy gems (13 even have trails), and a few pretty firetowers. Other than those “softballs” you’re looking at 41 pure bushwhacks, some punishingly so. Trust me, this list is big. I doubt more than 30 have ever finished.

After many false starts and cancelled dates, we finally made it to the Corey’s trailhead at just after seven. We were a big group, far too big for a bushwhack, but as I said this was no ordinary day. I’d go through the line up, but really it doesn’t matter, all that mattered today was those three finishers. The walk in the blueberry trail was wet (Pete, we all agreed, this needs work) and we had some early sprinkles that put no damper on the chit chat and overall festive mood. By the time we hit the final 2 lean-tos 6.5 miles in, the clouds had broken and the breeze was pushing out the rest of the storm system.

We entered the woods shortly after that and we picked a very decent line that was fairly direct. The woods were pretty good and we moved pretty easily through them. The whacking over on this end was eons better then over by #4. Some thickish spots but for the most part, we moved about as well as you can expect given our size. There were some steep sections too, but overall it was open enough that it really did not seem to matter. We made the 1.2 miles in just about over 2 hours. As we topped the summit ridge and passed over the first (lower) summit knob, headed towards the true summit, we heard the unmistakable sounds of a flute wafting through the air. Neil and Doug had made good on a promise to “be there”.

Those boys were positively giddy this the whole trip, but the last few minutes was overwhelming. I’ll let them chime in with the details, but for one brief moment, Sawtooth #5 transformed from a desolate little outpost that few people care about and even fewer visit, to a proud & noble delegate standing ready to accept the newest members of this special and unique group of climbers. For once, Sawteeth #5 mattered to people, and for that, I think she didn’t even mind our feet across her space. She even briefly winked and from her heavily tree’d summit ridge allowed us a rare views down into Duck Hole and over towards the Sewards.

We took pictures and celebrated with the boys (and newly acquired Neil and Doug), before heading out 45 minutes later. We had hoped to head off a southern ridge and swing back west towards the same area we came in. We were all so giddy and happy following the open terrain, that we didn’t even notice ole #5 put a “wrinkle” into the plan and throwing a just enough of a twist in the terrain to push us too far south. We discovered it early enough, but ultimately just decided (since the going was so open) to just follow it, bending as much right as we could and heading downslope. We knew we’d eventually hit the trail further down and have to make up for the difference on trail, but the going was in general very pleasant so no biggie. Once off the peak itself we bent to the SW and came across a delightfully open meadow that had great views back up to #5.

We hit the trail about .9 miles further down then we left it, making for a longer “slog” out. At better than 7.4 miles going out, it certainly felt “death march-ish” toward the end. All-and-all it was a 17 mile day and certainly one that I’ll remember for awhile. A beer/soda toast awaited all at the finish line. Several more gathered at Spence’s later to really celebrate properly. On a personal note, Hiking and seeing all my friends again (hiking and the after party) was just great. you guys mean an awful lot to me and my family. Thanks.

I’m sure (hoping anyway) that the guys will chime in themselves. After all, only they can capture the sheer exhilaration they felt and how personally rewarding their journey was to them. For myself, and my son, I can certainly extend my sincere gratitude and appreciation to all three of them for allowing us to share your journey over the last few years. Thanks and congratulations… I owe you guys much.

Congrats indeed Peak_bgr, Peakbagr, and bushwacker on the 100 highest.

We were starting out of the Coreys PA at the same time working on the first 46.

Doodles

Doing the ADK 100 is a big time endeavour because of the 40 odd bushwhacks. There's one heck of a lot of Spruce and Balsam in them there hills!

Lots of map study, route finding, cliff detouring, planning, wondering and wandering etc.

The opportunities to experience solitude on a grand scale are yours for the modest sum of merely stepping into the thick.

You make your own trip. The trip becomes a part of you.

Congratulations guys, not on finishing (well, that too :), but on having done, enjoyed and made a part of you so many Wild adventures.

(I feel lucky because I have 28 more to chew on.)

Congrats as well!

As one of the now-named-co-conspirators, I can say that this was a very long day, but very enjoyable. There was a brief shower, but for the most part, it was not very wet, and the temps stayed moderate. As bushwhacks go, this was not very difficult, so I think the 3 amigos had an easy time. I heard them musing on the accomplishment as they went up the mountain, with phrases like "this is a gift", and "out of body experience", etc. A pretty cool summit celebration ensued.

The walk out was very long, but it was a good warm up for Owl's Head in NH next weekend. :D

Great accomplishment folks, congrats to all. I know Spencer and Brian will get to compare the mountains over here with the big mountains out west soon. Nothing seems so grand anymore but the mountains here in the NE will always remain special in our hearts and at least over here, we don't need no stinkin' permits to hike. :)

Jay

I've already congratulated them in person (post-hike) but I'd just like to say again "Bravo!" to the trio, not only for this wonderful finish, but for sticking it out together over all of these peaks. If there is a trio that is a better class act than this one, I don't know what it is! :D

Tom Rankin said:
As bushwhacks go, this was not very difficult, so I think the 3 amigos had an easy time.

Yeah, the b-whack portion of the hike... what a gem. I'd have to say it's about as open and easy as you'll find on the lower 54. Even with the "bonus" portion we added (partially due to inattentiveness and partially to terrain), it was still pretty forgiving. The 14 miles in/out is really the only thing that made it tough and long.

Not that I'll run out and do it again anytime soon, but I'd say most of us were plesantly surprised.

had a great trip, what a trip to finish on, couldn't have been a better bushwack. and the company was great. glad everyone could make it, and thanks to those came to the party after. we said 5 hours to the top and thats how long it took us, doesn't happen like that too often.

pictures are up, check them out on www.adkbushwacks.com

SWEET! ! !

Can't tell you how much I wished to be there... but work with end-of-year processing had me tied down. You guys rock!! What a great accomplishment to have finally nailed down! The picture from the meadow is excellent as well as those down into Duck Hole, etc. Fine, fine stuff!!

More celebrating to follow in August. Save the mood!! ;)
(yeah, that smile should still be plastered on all of your faces by then!)

So, when I ask you to lead me on a given hike, which one would you have no problem saying "Go away, do it yourself... I never need to go there again!"??

Adk100

Bubba,

Some time ago, I started an archive for the ADK100's lower 54 peaks. It includes a frequently-updated climbers list, and an attempt to write the history of the earliest years of the ascents of these rugged mountains.
We have around 20 confirmed finishers, a small number of probables, and a larger group of maybes and aspirants.

If you're seriously interested in climbing the ADK100, send me a PM with your email and I'll get back to you. Pls let me know how far along you are and which peaks are remaining on your list. I have a list of the peaks in digital forma with names, elevs, trailled/untrailled and location. All you need to do is fill in the date.

A number of our friends are also working the list, with many trips in the planning stages.

Allan, thanks for the offer... but please don't count me on any of your lists... I'm just out roaming on those 100 highest. I'm sure I'll get forever lost before I find the 100th peak!!

I posed the question to find out which you felt was the hardest (physically, mentally, spiritually...) of all those you've done. I'm sure one or two stick out as the really difficult ones.

Congratulations again!! Magic in the ADK's for you three!!

PS - great to know the resource is available. Sounds interesting!!

Can't say enough about your landmark accomplishments Spencer, Alan and Brian! Way to go! Now that you've been well indoctrinated into this tough off trail world, I'd like to hear just how far you think you might go with this .... keep going with more NY 3000s, perhaps venture off for some New England peak lists .... or both?

Bushwacker probably did all of these in those trusty jeans. Which is just sick.
I wonder which brand is tougher? Levis, Wrangler or Lee.

Thanks, guys.

Dennis, My plans are to help my other friends finish the ADK100, get a little more serious about the Catskill 3kers, Cat3500x12 and to have the time to get out with Spencer and Brian on all those "unknown" ADK bushwacks. Talk about sick, their goal is to climb every named peak, bump, summit, mountain, ridge on EVERY ONE of the ADK quads. They already have about 600 bushwacks under their belts and I'm itching to do some of these with them.

We've been inviting ADK100 finishers and those serious about them to the VFTT Adirondack Gathering at Spencer's on 8/19.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :) Now that is something to aspire to. I wonder if I could move a little closer and then convince the kids this would be fun! :p or would that be the other way around?