Sequester, government shut down and the White Mts...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what affect, if any, the looming sequester this week and government shut down at the end of March could have on the White Mountains? Just looking for facts, not political opinion. Thanks.

Since it has not yet occured, there are no facts. My apolitical opinion is that "it" will have absolutely no impact, especially in winter.
Don't change your plans.
If ANYTHING, it'll be easier to park poorly. Enjoy.

Just be careful to not be negligent because the State of NH will still fine you if you are.

More likely to have an effect on the level of seasonal (summer) employees, which is always dependent on budget levels.

Only 47% of people who normally hike really care:D
Plenty of state forests around anyways.....Last time I was reminded that the fed controls the national forest was two years ago when a border patrol dude was checking out appalachia to make sure no one was breaking into cars.He checked me out[not that way],to make sure I was not going to bust a window out of some nice car.He even watched as I hiked into the woods with all my gear.The only annoyance was his barking dog,who wanted out of his cage in the back of his suv.He was pleasant though and he did not bother me that bad.Seems easy to forget who really owns the white mountains[most of them].

Last edited:
It's actually only a little over 2% (85B / almost 4T). I expect no impact at all.

/politics/ ...it's just a scare/blame tactic by all sides... /politics off/

Who does the plowing, the state? Does the USFS reimburse them? Will the state not plow if the reimbursement channels are shut down?

I have a possible visit for March, likely just Willard with my son, which shouldn't be a problem as AMC or the State Park probably maintain. After that not until Memorial Day. (Taconics & ADK's for April & May)

Who does the plowing, the state? Does the USFS reimburse them? Will the state not plow if the reimbursement channels are shut down?
Outside contracts are a likely thing to cut, this would include plowing, sheriff's patrols, etc.

One might remember when the Clinton administration temporarily closed the National Parks when a spending bill didn't pass, so it depends whether the gov't prefers to get along as well as possible on less money or prefers to make things as bad as possible to get something passed

I would think it would have a positive impact, less Rangers driving around hasseling you for doing nothing. There is way to many forest rangers in the Whites, drive the Kanc on a summer day and count the white ranger trucks, wtf are they all doing?

IMAO they will probably divert funds from somewhere to pay rangers overtime to put up signs informing us the woods are closed.

IMAO they will probably divert funds from somewhere to pay rangers overtime to put up signs informing us the woods are closed.
That happened in the Clinton shutdown, law enforcement were considered critical staff but maintenance were not, so you couldn't buy entry but you could get a ticket for not having done so

Went to check the stream gauges (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/rt) today and found that some will be impacted - which ones exactly is still TBD.

USGS TO DISCONTINUE STREAMGAGES DUE TO SEQUESTRATION:The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) will discontinue operation of up to 375 streamgages nationwide due to budget cuts as a result of sequestration. Additional streamgages may be affected if partners reduce their funding to support USGS streamgages. The USGS is working to identify which streamgages will be impacted and when, and will post this information as it becomes available. Streamgages are used nationwide to predict and address drought and flood conditions by monitoring water availability. The USGS and over 850 Federal, State, and local agencies cooperatively fund the USGS streamgaging network, which consists of over 8,000 streamgages. When budget fluctuations occur, the network is impacted.

Tim

Only 47% of people who normally hike really care:D
Plenty of state forests around anyways.....Last time I was reminded that the fed controls the national forest was two years ago when a border patrol dude was checking out appalachia to make sure no one was breaking into cars.He checked me out[not that way],to make sure I was not going to bust a window out of some nice car.He even watched as I hiked into the woods with all my gear.The only annoyance was his barking dog,who wanted out of his cage in the back of his suv.He was pleasant though and he did not bother me that bad.Seems easy to forget who really owns the white mountains[most of them].

Not to be contrary, but ... I don't have any problems when I'm getting the once-over by law enforcement at trailheads. It's happened to me at Appalachia (more than once), Lafayette Place. Lincoln Woods and Rocky Branch. When that happens I hope that if scum are lurking in their cars they take note of it. Just wave to them (law enforcement, not the scum), and if you get a chance - and it's appropriate - thank them for taking the time/interest in cruising thru the trailhead. And yes, I know they're just doing their job that day, but still - we all like a little recognition, and attempts to create good will between the hiking community and law enforcement is always a good thing.

Now, don't get me started on what I think of Security Theater and the TSA at airports... ;)

In the news today, Acadia National Park will not be opening the park loop road and visitors center until May 19th - one month later than usual in response to sequestration and a resulting $390,000 budget cut. (5% of the annual budget for the fiscal year ending in September.)

Nothing has been posted on the park web site as yet. Just these news reports: http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/235743/2/Acadia-cuts-services-because-of-budget-cuts
http://www.foxbangor.com/news/local...acadia-national-park-roads-closed-longer.html

And more on Google:
https://www.google.com/#q=acadia+national+park+sequestration