Short dayhike suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undershaft

Reaction score
I'm looking for some suggestions for a dayhike on Sept 13. I figure I'll be in Franconia notch by noontime, and need to leave to drive up to Grafton Notch (Upton actually) by 6pm or so. I'm looking for a hike that is relatively short and not too difficult (I'll be tackling the Mahoosucs southbound on the 14th), but rewarding (ie: good views or one of the 48). Right now I'm thinking of doing Mt. Tecumseh. Any other ideas?

Well, Welch-Dickey loop would be in the easy with good views category, although only 2605-2734 feet, respectively.

As well as Mt. Pemigewasset (Indian Head) at 2557'. All enjoyable short hikes and both right on your route.

But as far as 4k footers go, Tehcumseh is an "easy" choice. Only about 4.5 miles in and out from the ski area parking, have fun.

Last edited:
There is a short dayhike I was thinking about checking out next sat.
Cherry Mtn.
It has two peaks. Mt Martha(3563) and owl's head(3258)
Both are on the NH100 list.
If you take the owl's head trail, you can hit both peaks in 5.4 mi. RT.
I guess owl's head is supposed to have some pretty good views.
If your going to Grafton Notch, it looks like it would be right on your way.
It's about 8 mi. past Twin Mountain on Rt.115.

Steve

Stev-o said:
There is a short dayhike I was thinking about checking out next sat.
Cherry Mtn.
It has two peaks. Mt Martha(3563) and owl's head(3258)
Steve
They're OK. Good views of the Presis to the east, and good places to hike for solitude, though I found the trail up Mt Martha a monotonously constant incline. (good workout for your calves as it's mostly dirt rather than rock steps so your shoes are at an angle rather than flat stairclimbing)

I'd rate the two Sugarloaf mountains just off Zealand Rd better and a bit easier, (if more crowded) I forget the stats but its < 3 miles RT, maybe 1500ft max, with very good views and ledges. (Warning: Zealand Rd will be closed starting Sep 6 -- see this thread -- that would add a few miles. ick.)

Welch-Dickey would be my vote (would definitely recommend it over Tecumseh), just as long as you know the logistics so you aren't rushed. It's only a 4.5 mile loop but I think the elevation gain is 1900ft -- so not necessarily that quick. I seem to remember the trailhead being about 15 mins from the I-93 Waterville Valley exit. As you're talking about a weekday, it shouldn't be very crowded though there will probably be other hikers there.

About Mt Pemigewasset.

I was talking with MtnMagic about it yesterday. There are two approaches, one from the west that starts in the flume visitor center. The other sweeps around southernly and starts at (he thinks) the Indian Head resort. I hiked the Western approach, which Magic says is the more steep of the two. He was amazed when he did the Southern approach. What a difference the two trails are. He says the Southern trail is almost easy flat grading except for a short section you go up 500 feet of elevation. Next time I hike there Im gonna try that route myself.

Brian

suggestions

here are some of my favorite short hikes in & around the Franconia Notch area:

- Bridal Veil Falls (5 miles round trip)
- Bald Mtn. & Artist Bluff (1.5 miles RT i think...really easy)
- Mt. Osceola via Tripoli Road (harder than the rest of these)
- Welch/Dickey (incredible "bang for the buck")
- Mt. Pemigewasset via the Flume Visitor Center
- Up & Around Lonesome Lake from the Lafayette Campground (could add Cannon Mtn...)
- Sugarloaf Mtn's off Zealand Road (but the road will be closed, which will add some rather boring miles of hiking on a dirt road)

Also, I personally don't think Tecumseh is all that special...but that's just me.

Thank you

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's been about six years or so since I've done any real hiking in the whites. Right now I'm leaning towards Mt. Pemigewasset (I haven't been there since I was a little kid) or the Welch-Dickey loop, depending on how much time I have. I appreciate the help.

Welch/Dickey and Mt. Pemigewasset also get my vote. Also, even though I haven't done it yet (I'll be doing it in September) MT. Potash is another popular short hike which I've heard good things about. I'll also cast a vote for that one as well. Most of those positive statements came from members of this board.

Enjoy.
:)