Short,scenic hike around Pinkham Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Every year I participate in a fundraiser called Annette's Climb that involves hiking to Tuckerman at the end of April. Last year I took a small group (generally non-hikers that would otherwise be sitting around all day waiting for the others to return) up Mt. Willard. It was a beautiful day and a good time was had by all. There was 1 person (as expected) that took 2 hours to reach the summit bur for the most part, book time is about our pace. I would again like to lead a hike - preferably in the Pinkham area - that has some interesting scenery. We will be staying in the Jackson area next year and I would prefer not to travel more than 30 minutes to the trailhead. I think Mt. Willard was about right (maybe a little too much) but I don't want to go beyond that level. Since I have been concentrating on the 4000's I am not familiar with many of the shorter hikes. The age range last year was about 8 yrs old to about 60. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

In the Pinkham area you could try the Imp trails, Or you could go up to carter notch.

Lowe's Bald Spot

Starting right at Pinkham, the Old Jackson Road trail is the beginning of a nice trip to Lowe's Bald Spot. About 4+ miles roundtrip, mostly level until the end when you climb up the "bald spot". Beautiful views into the Great Gulf and north to Maine. Great picnic spot. Somewhat similar to Mt Willard as far as "Nice views for moderate effort."

I would second Imp trail to Imp Face... on a day with good visibility you get a good view up the Carter Ridge to Wildcat, and great views across the notch to Madison, Adams,Jefferson,Clay and Washington. I think the difficulty level would fit the age range of your group. If visibility wasn't so hot that day, Carter Notch Hut might be a good destination...cool ponds, the ramparts, hut to hang out at...

Look for the USFS sheet titled "Short hikes in Pinkham Notch" or something like that. You should be able to find it at the Ranger Station in Gorham, and at the information desk at AMC Pinkham Notch trading post. There are several suggestions that you might be interested in.

dvbl said:
Starting right at Pinkham, the Old Jackson Road trail is the beginning of a nice trip to Lowe's Bald Spot. Somewhat similar to Mt Willard as far as "Nice views for moderate effort."

This is the first hike I thought of too, for something in Pinkham comparable to Willard. The second is the Pine Mountain Loop, the trailhead of which is on the road that goes from Dolly Copp to Route 2 in Randolph. I assume that road is closed to traffic in winter, but imagine it would proably be open by late April. It's one of the recommended shorter hikes for that area in the latest AMC White Mt. Guide - I loved it (as I did Willard and the Bald Spot).

Middle Sugarloaf, halfway up Zealand Road, 20 minutes from Pinkham (take Pinkham B to Jefferson Notch in summer). IMO hands down the most bang for the buck anywhere in the Whites... :D

We've done a trail right behind the AMC center in Pinkham Notch that loops around with some nice scenery and leads to Brads Bluff overlooking RT. 16 .

If you go to the AMC center it's on their maps.

other ideas

The Zealand Trail to the AMC Zealand Falls hut is a great family hike. It's relatively flat until the very last section, has a lot of beaver ponds along the way, and a great waterfall. Just be sure Zealand Road is open at the end of April.

Arethusa Falls from Route 302 is also a great hike for non-hikers.

The Imp Face, while an amazing view, may be a little difficult for the group you describe. Check the White Mt Guide for trail descriptions of everything suggested.

Nice of you to keep the non-Tuckerman group busy!

Lost Pond Tr is directly across the road from the AMC Pinkham Center.

If you're not opposed to hiking on ski slopes, I would highly recommend hiking up the slopes of Wildcat. It's easy hiking on wide, grassy lanes and the views to Huntington and Tuckerman Ravines and the summit are stunning.

Hiking up, stay to the right at every trail junction, so as to use the western-most trails. You'll start seeing nice views almost immediately, and there's an observation tower at the top.

Wildcat Mtn. is part of WMNF, no issues with hiking the trails.

Happy Trails :)

dvbl said:
Starting right at Pinkham, the Old Jackson Road trail is the beginning of a nice trip to Lowe's Bald Spot. About 4+ miles roundtrip, mostly level until the end when you climb up the "bald spot". Beautiful views into the Great Gulf and north to Maine. Great picnic spot. Somewhat similar to Mt Willard as far as "Nice views for moderate effort."

This is a good easy hike, but you could vary it a little without extending the miles much.
If you spot cars at Pinkham , and others about 4 miles up the road at the Great Gulf Trailhead, you could do this same trail listed above with an extra pretty section without having to backtrack.
And if you start at the Great Gulf trailhead, you will get to go across two suspensions brigdes, follow a beautiful river and experience a little of the great gulf, and still do lowes bald spot.
I did this hike last month. It took us about 3 hours at a moderated pace. It would not be difficult for hikers just starting, but would probally take about 4-5 hours, and be about 5 miles.
WSC

Square Ledge

This hike might be fairly short, but hiking up to the top of square ledge across the street from the AMC Pinkham Notch center is a nice short hike with some nice views from the top of cliff. If I recall it is about a 30 minute walk. If some folks want an longer hike take them up to watch the activity in Tucks.

I'd say Iron Mountain (easy: 2 mile RT) or Doublehead (a bit tougher: 3 mile RT), both easily accessible from Jackson, and both on the "52 with a view" list (directions for both may be found on the website. Trail descriptions in the AMC White Mtn Guide). Imp Face is a great hike, about 4.4 RT for an in and back on the north trail, but tougher than Willard.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions. Unfortunately I'll have to personally check these out over the next few months before I make a decision. :) I appreciate all the responses and, since this is an annual event, will be able to use many of your suggestions.