Slick Trail Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found Yak Trax to work well for early season ice, but only if on reasonably level terrain. The regular ones are not very durable. Suggest getting the Pro for hiking. BTW, Yak Trax are a great gift for someone who is more likely to be seriously hurt from falling. Got some for my folks last year and they love them, since they are easy to put on and do give additonal traction. Regards, Marty

I ran into a hiker who had both instep crampons and yak trax on Jackson last year in the late fall. When we hit the ice flow that inevitably forms near the summit, he tried both and both were no match for the ice. The scary part was that they would bite in and he would start putting his weight on them and then they would slip off his feet. He ended up going thru the scrub. I had my crampons and even though they took 30 seconds longer to put on, I could run up the ice. IMHO its worth carrying the crampons.

Get-a-grips and Yak-Trax are ok for city sidewalks or maybe even easy, level trails, but on the ledges and steep trails Staibil-Icers are much better. They have a vibram sole with 34 Kold Kutter style ice screws. They strap on your boots with nylon straps and velcro and are much more secure than the cheap rubber ones mentioned earlier.

I'll let you know how the Stabil-Icers perform on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail this weekend. The upper portion is usually good for some ice this time of year. I'll be packin' the Sabretooths just in case.

Get-a-grips and Yak-Trax are ok for city sidewalks or maybe even easy, level trails, but on the ledges and steep trails Staibil-Icers are much better. They have a vibram sole with 34 Kold Kutter style ice screws. They strap on your boots with nylon straps and velcro and are much more secure than the cheap rubber ones mentioned earlier.

I'll let you know how the Stabil-Icers perform on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail this weekend. The upper portion is usually good for some ice this time of year. I'll be packin' the Sabretooths just in case.

NH Mtn Hiker
I am very interested how they work out on the hike. Don't forget to post your hike and trail conditions. :D

I had a pair of yaktrax that didn't even make it through their first hike - one fell off, never to be found again. I see now they're being made with a strap over the top.

I have these cheap little 4 prong things (we always called them creepers) that strap over my boot that I use around camp. If I can find a link, I'll post it.

As NH Mtn Hikder is going to try, I've heard good things about these but they're as heavy as crampons. Check 'em out here

I Keep These in my pack almost all year. They are light, cheap, and work on the transition stuff. No replacemnt for crampons of course, but they go on and off quickly, and they are made in New York State, not the far east. They make the same variety with a nylon strap, but I tried them and they don't work nearly as well as these.
Handy little gizmos.
Happy Hiking,
Tom