Snowshoeing near Bethel, ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm taking a few people on their first snowshoe hike in about an hour or so and I'm looking for an easy to moderate 2-4 mile snowshoe hike near Bethel/Sunday River (within 10-20 minutes is ideal).

Any ideas? I don't have any of my guidebooks on me so I'm clueless.

Thanks!

One of the coolest short hikes in the area is Table Rock on Baldpate. Pretty nice view of Old Speck with not too much effort. I can't remember how long it is though. Maybe 2 miles round trip?

Park at the AT crossing on Route 26 and head for Baldpate. Using the Table Rock Trail and the AT makes for a nice loop.

Head up (north) Route 26 to Grafton Notch State Park.

There's plenty of parking at the lot (left side of road, when heading north) for the AT and the trail up Old Speck.

If you go to the other side of the road and follow the AT north, it's pretty moderate for the first mile or so and then climbs a bit for another mile before leveling out a bit just past Hedgehog Hill (elevation 2750), before the Grafton Notch shelter.

Also, after 0.8 miles on the AT is a side trail to the right, to Table Rock -- with excellent views. Take this route up, instead of the Table Rock Trail that begins at Route 26, as that may be a bit steep for your beginning snowshoers.

The AT here sees plenty of traffic at this time of year, so it might even be well broken out.

It's an option...

Last edited:
Here are a few suggestions from the Maine Winter Trails Guide.
1. Table Rock in Grafton Notch State Park; 2.8 mile loop rated "easiest"
2. Burnham Hill Loop, Rangeley Municipal Trails, Rangeley, ME; 7.4 mile loop, time 2.5 hours; "yellow and green loops rated from easiest to more difficult"
3. Bald Mountain Trail, Oquossoc, ME (Rangeley area); 2.0 miles round trip; rated more difficult
4. Artists Covered Bridge Loop, Bethel, ME; Sunday River Inn and XC Ski Center (this might be your best bet); 4.5 mile loop, rated easiest. They call it a XC ski trail, but they also indicate snowshoe rentals.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mt. Will on RT between SR and where RT26 heads up to Grafton Notch. It is easier and closer to Bethel than Table Rock and has a view over the Andro River valley but it's not as scenic as Table Rock's view over Grafton Notch.

Parking is on the N side of RT 2 immediately across from the Transfer Station. Really, it's a loop, but many folks just do an out and back to the ledge. To do that hike the loop counter-clockwise.

Sometimes I just drive down RT113 in Gilead to where it's gated and 'shoe the road into Hastings. It's about 25 mins to the trailhead for the Roost.
Nice day for it.
-vegematic

I'll second that, vegematic!

Mount Will is a fine little loop! Here is a shot from one of the ledges looking back towards Bethel:

mtwill.jpg

I know it's too late for today, but Crag Mt east of Gorham off the North Road/Austin Brook Trail has a fabulous view. It's only about 3 miles RT. There was a parking area cleared on the opposite side of the road last week.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We ended up just doing a 5-6 mile loop of the trails within the Sunday River X-C Ski Center. Half of the trails are nicely groomed for X-C skiing, but half are not maintained and are great for snowshoeing.

Would have loved to do Table Rock, but I wasn't sure of their abilities.

Thanks again!