Soft Shell Pants - Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
Looking to get a soft-shell pant - I have the EMS ones from about a year ago - (schoeller (sp?)) and they are ok - but they fit a bit looser than I would like. Looking for some for winter use that have more of trim fit

marmot ATV, etc.. anyone have any comments on theirs?

I have a pair of Schoeller pants from Marmot.. but they are heavy and pretty baggy. Don't know if all Shoeller pants are baggy but it's annoying with crampons and no gaiters. Perhaps cause they seem to be more towards skiing not winter hiking/climbing. Other than that, they are pretty nice. I wore them on Shasta/Hood in any case... Just had to be careful I didn't catch them with my crampons.

If you get any good recommendations offline, share it. I'd be interested although since I only buy closeouts and discounted stuff, my choices tend to be limited anyway.

Jay

I have the MH synchro pant. I got them a year ago, but they were already a "last year" model. Got them for a steal though...under $100...These are last years. I dont think there was any change between year models that I have and one listed here.

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Action/Vendor_Prod/ProdId/5582/RefId/18/RefType/Affiliate

I know they come with suspenders NOW, I had to add mine.

Anyway..they seem great. nicer on the "warmer" days skiing. No built in gaiter as I believe they are more geared toward ice climbing. At any rate they are nice ski pants.

Kinda harkens back to the "stretch pant" days...man am i glad they're gone.. ;-)

M

I think Schoeller Dryskin is like Malden Mills Polartec Fleece - one clothing manufacturer's products are similar to all the others, but what differs is the cut, workmanship, etc. Personally, I'd try to find a pair that fits, has pockets and other features you want, etc.

I bought mine (pants) from EMS about 4 years ago on closeout - love 'em, and just can't wear them out. Amazingly tough and plenty warm for my legs. I bought a jacket made of Schoeller from MEC - I think it's called a Ferrata. Excellent jacket, but ... not quite warm enough for winter use, and what works on your legs doesn't always work on your chest.

Kevin Rooney said:
I think Schoeller Dryskin is like Malden Mills Polartec Fleece - one clothing manufacturer's products are similar to all the others, but what differs is the cut, workmanship, etc. .

NO.
Schoeller Dryskin Extreme, w/3XDRY is totally different than Malden Mills Polartec fleece.
The Schoeller product (of which there are many different fabrics) has a different weave, inside and out, which works to repel water quite well, with'in certain limits.

The polyester material itself is also quite different in yarn design.
The inside of finished material has a rougher open weave, while the outside is much tighter. Material is quite stretchy, with memory, much like spandex, only heavier, like fleece.

I find that I can wear my SDE jacket and pants in a cold light rain for about 2 hours, as long as I stay active.
The design allows thermal transport of heat to actually dry out the shell from the inside out, or work to keep it dry.
The tighter exterior weave keeps rain drops from penetrating, while the open weave inside allows more breathability.

Polartec Fleece, on the other hand, is the SAME weave inside and out, and soaks completely during any rain.
Material is actually 2 layers of soft spun poly to a thin center stretchy nylon/spandex type, which is what holds stiching.

The 3XDRY finish on Scheoller products are another coating, like the spry-on types, but this has been applied to the fabric during milling.

I am very pleased will all of the Scheoller product line, primarily Mammut brand.
I do find the fit to be baggy, but then I have gone ahead and refitted each garment to my desireable size, tepering the legs.
I did this to a pair of Mammut Champs pant legs and Mammut Jacket arms.
Not many folks would be willing to chop up a $150 garment, but my sewing skills are quite good.

Cluodveil, Marmot, Mammut are all excellent garment manufacturers useing the Scheoller fabric lines.

Jeff

Last edited:
I have softshell pants from Sporthill that I really like, and which have a trimmer fit. They've served me well over three winters so far.

I also have a friend who uses Ibex wool blend softshell pants, and they're great; that's my next purchase, if I can find a store here that sells them in person so I can get the right size (I always fall between S and M on most gear).

- Steve

Jeff-B said:
NO.
Schoeller Dryskin Extreme, w/3XDRY is totally different than Malden Mills Polartec fleece.
The Schoeller product (of which there are many different fabrics) has a different weave, inside and out, which works to repel water quite well, with'in certain limits.

The polyester material itself is also quite different in yarn design.
The inside of finished material has a rougher open weave, while the outside is much tighter. Material is quite stretchy, with memory, much like spandex, only heavier, like fleece. Jeff
Jeff -

I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough.

Schoeller Dryskin is a fabric which any number of gear/clothing manufacturers can purchase to produce clothing articles.

Malden Mills makes many specialized fabrics, including Polartec fleece, which any number gear/clothing manufacturers can purchase to produce clothing articles.

Fleece and Dryskin are quite different products, with different uses. However, what they have in common is that each product is purchased by the major clothing manufacturers for their particular line.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Kevin Rooney said:
Fleece and Dryskin are quite different products, with different uses. However, what they have in common is that each product is purchased by the major clothing manufacturers for their particular line.
Like the big one of them all, the allmighty Gore-tex.

I would highly recommend Cloudveil Symmetry Pants. They are the shizzznit. Schoeller Dryskin Xtreme w/ 3x dry, scuffguards, super comfortable... Word life.

Guy
I have the REI soft shell pants and they are not baggy.
TRim fit is what i would call them not tight.
A little more loose in the calf and foot probably to facilitate different footwear. Relatively inexpensive not sure how tough they are only used them on a few trips this winter.
Al

i have loved my patagonia talus pants. not a heavy soft shell, but they cut nasty winter winds while remaining functional for spring and late fall outings. the cut is ample, but not baggy and the leg tapers for easy going under gators (or can cinch around boot tops if you happen to forget yours at home.......). maybe not a heavy duty as some of the ems or mountain hardwear models, but pretty darn nice.

bryan

MH Alchemy Pant

Giggy,

I have the MH Alchemy Pant. I got them last summer when I went to Washington and I used them all of last winter. I think the only time I used shell pants last winter was while I was climbing in Huntington. The Alchemy pants are very warm and cut the wind well. I think the cut fits fairly snug. They are a cold weather only pant though. I also have a pair of scholler pants that I bought from LLBean several years ago that have zippers on the lower legs and this keeps them fairly tight to my legs. I would still wear gaiters with any scholler pant whenever I am wearing crampons because I would rather put a hole in my gaiters then in my scholler pants.

Woody

I use the Ibex Backcountry (now called Solitude) pants. They are a perfect weight for mtneering and are very warm. They are alittle pricy, but Ibex has sales all of the time. The new ones even have Loden wool in the butt for increased warmth for glissading or sitting on a chair lift.