Solo tents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkierSteve

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a solo three season tent. Does anyone have any experience or an opinion about the MSR Hubba, Marmot EOS 1P or the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 ? Most of my warm weather hiking tends to be solo and I've tried the bivi option and want a little more room. Thanks for any and all help.

No personal experience, but I've heard great things about the Big Agnes - from an AT thruhiker from '05.

Check out whiteblaze.net. Lots of info about solo tents. Also, lots of info about hammocks to make your quest for the perfect night's sleep that much more complicated.

Last edited:
Big Agnes

I purchased the BA Seedhouse SL2 this spring. I'll probably be using it for the first time this weekend. I realize you are talking about the SL1, but I can let you know how I like the SL2. It sets up like a dream and takes down/packs up just as easily (as tested in my house and backyard). The SL2 packed, ready for the trail weighs 3.5 lbs. Some of the time I need a solo tent and some of the time I need a two person tent. So, that's why I opted for the SL2. A little more room for me when I'm alone, a little less room for everyone when there's 2. A compromise...just like life.... ;)

I'll can let you know how it works out this weekend.

The choices you mentioned are good ones for double walled tents. I also agree with Trailbiscuit about checking out White Blaze.

If you are looking to go ultralight, you might want to check out the websites below. They are very popular with the thru hiker crowd:
Henry Shires Tarptent

Six Moon Designs

Six Moon Designs has this new Wild Oasis shelter that weighs about 13 ounces. :cool: Would love to buy that, but can't justify spending the money quite yet. :(

Regards,
Marty

I had the Big Agnes SL1, and it was roomy, light, and otherwise great, except... that the way the fly sets up, water will get into your tent as you enter and exit while it's raining. So I returned it and got the Marmot EOS 1P. The Marmot works for me, but it very small. I can't fully sit up and change in it, and I'm just 5'5". I've used in in heavy rains, and it's held up fine. In most cases I will continue to use my bivy (a Bibler) since I usually sleep in shleters anyway. The Marmot doesn't offer much more room than my Bibler and my bivy plus a tarp = the weight of the Marmot.

marty said:
If you are looking to go ultralight, you might want to check out the websites below. They are very popular with the thru hiker crowd:
Henry Shires Tarptent

You either love or hate your tarptent. Again, not from personal experience, but I know folks who both swore by at and swore at their tarptents. Those who love them say "You just have to know how to set it up right, and take the time to do it." Those who hate them say, "I felt like I was sleeping underwater." (Lots o' condensation.)

Also visit The Lightweight Backpacker site www.backpacking.net
If you go to the forums, you can search for posts about each of these-the SL1 and Hubba get good reviews and Tarptents are favorites too-lots of members have them.
Also, look at www.backpackgeartest.org for reviews. I saw tests there for the SL1 light version and the Hubba Hubba (the 2 person Hubba).

The SD Clip Flashlight CD makes a nice roomy 3-season solo tent. (It is claimed to be for 2 people, but I would rate it at about 1.5 people...)

The REI Quarter Dome would also make a nice roomy freestanding solo tent.

Both of the above are good 2-layer designs. Not the lightest, but they work well in good and bad weather.

A hammock (Hennessy or Speer) is also good for (below timberline) solo camping.

Both solo tents and hammocks have been discussed previously:
Solo tents: http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&...ch=www.vftt.org/forums&as_rights=&safe=images
Hammocks:
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&...ch=www.vftt.org/forums&as_rights=&safe=images

Doug

Last edited:
I had the Seedhouse SL1 and returned it and got the SL2. It only weighs about 8 oz more and has much more room. On the SL1, you must also stake out the small end for the tent to stand properly, it is not truly freestanding. The SL2 also gives you room for your pack when solo, and can come in handy when backpacking with a partner.

Speaking of hammocks.... I was a dedicated lightweight solo tent camper until a friend introduced me to hammocking 5 years ago. I didn't think I would like it... but I haven't looked back or stayed in a tent (except for wiinter) since. As an off trail bushwhack hiker, no more do I spend endless time looking for what usually was a less than acceptable flat dry area to set my little tent. Never have i had trouble within a couple of minutes finding a two trees to hang the hammock and it does not matter how wet or lumpy or brushy or what the ground underneath looks like. Sleep has never been more comfortable either.

I used one of the original Flashlights for bike touring and it worked great as a solo tent-a bit cramped for two-you lose some space because of the shape. A dome or similar design will probably be my next purchase, although there are some nice tunnel designs. If you are going to be out in rainy weather, a vestibule would be nice. My Flashlight didn't have one, so it was a bit dodgy to get in and out when it was pouring without dragging in some water.

trailbiscuit said:
You either love or hate your tarptent. Again, not from personal experience, but I know folks who both swore by at and swore at their tarptents. Those who love them say "You just have to know how to set it up right, and take the time to do it." Those who hate them say, "I felt like I was sleeping underwater." (Lots o' condensation.)

I am definitely among the "love my tarptent" crew. I was surprised to hear your comments about condensation... I've never had a problem at all. (I actually started with a Eureka solitaire as my solo tent.... that one actually rained on me because there was so much condensation!!)

- Ivy

TomD said:
A dome or similar design will probably be my next purchase, although there are some nice tunnel designs.
Domes aren't all that space efficient. A sleeping bag (or two side-by-side sleeping bags) tends to take up a rectangular space, which leaves big spaces at the side. Tunnel tents, on the other hand, appear to be very efficient. Tunnel tents, unfortunately, don't seem to be very popular in the US market. Hillenberg makes some very nice ones, but they are a bit pricy. http://www.hilleberg.se/

If you are going to be out in rainy weather, a vestibule would be nice. My Flashlight didn't have one, so it was a bit dodgy to get in and out when it was pouring without dragging in some water.
The current SD Clip Flashlight CD has a small vestibule, but I'm not sure it does a very good job of keeping rain out of the tent door.

Doug

SteveSkier, I have a older generation Henry Shires Tarptent that I would use but it is in need of repair, I don't find the silnylon stuff holding up to abuse much longer. Not that I am abusive too it but it appears when the material gets wet, it has a propensity to...say "dethread" and I have had issues with threads coming out. One of my guyline in the front of the cloudburst is about to rip and one of the pole sleeves threading is off such that I have to put the pole in one way only otherwise it'll catch on it. Granted, I have used this thing at about 6000ft on a glacier in Wrangell St Elias and it actually held up to like 30mph gusts much to my surprise. Didn't get much sleep that night either though!

The other thing is that if there is such a thing, the tent is too big for my use, it's soo big, it's hard to pitch it in some of the smaller tentsites in the Whites or when bushwacking.

The carrying case of mine has completely disintegrated, the cinch strap is gone and it's basically just a grey nylon sack!

I'm willing to sell mine for a fairly cheap price if you're interested, I'm thinking of getting a Black Diamond First light which is a smaller singlewall tent. PM if interested.

Jay

Doug, I'm aware of the design problems with domes, but it appears the odd space could readily be used for gear. I misspoke to a certain extent-I meant freestanding, but not necessarily a true dome shape.

Hillebergs are pricey. If I could swing it, a Nallo2 GT with the huge vestibule looks like a good winter tent (not for climbing, but for ski touring). For one person for winter, maybe a BD single wall.

For three season, I think any light tent like the Big Agnes would work. Just a matter of choosing a color and shape you like. The Six Moon Designs ttents hat Marty mentioned look interesting; one of their older designs is the Europa, which you might find used once in a while.

Last edited:
TomD said:
Doug, I'm aware of the design problems with domes, but it appears the odd space could readily be used for gear. I misspoke to a certain extent-I meant freestanding, but not necessarily a true dome shape.
I look at the problem in the other direction. First lay out the rectangle necessary for one or two sleeping bags and pads. Then draw a hexagon (or circle, if you prefer) around the rectangle--the resultant is rather large, particularly if you are trying to dig in on a snow slope. My 2-man dome, while roomy for one, risks the sleeping bag touching the tent at the corners of the rectangle. (And of course, I put gear in the side spaces.)

If you want free-standing, take a look at the REI Quarter Dome or tents of the same basic design. Rectangular footprint, relatively vertical sidewalls low down. Probably not as space-efficient as a tunnel, but tunnels aren't freestanding.

Hillebergs are pricey. If I could swing it, a Nallo2 GT with the huge vestibule looks like a good winter tent (not for climbing, but for ski touring). For one person for winter, maybe a BD single wall.
There has been some recent discussion of Hillenbergs on rec.backcountry by some very knowledgable people (eg Chris Townsend--the book author). They are very highly regarded, if you can afford them.

IMO, many solo tents are essentially bivy sacks with poles (or a nylon coffin, if you prefer). OK in good weather, but claustrophobic if you have to wait out some bad weather. This is where, IMO, the smaller 2-man tents (eg SD Clip Flashlight CD, REI Quarter Dome, etc) will do much better. Some even give you enough height to sit up.

Doug

Doug, I agree completely with you, some of those one man tents are way too tiny for me. Not because I'm a big guy, I'm not, but because there isn't much room for gear.

When I had my Flashlight, it was just me most of the time and in bad weather, it was really a one person tent-me plus my gear. I also agree about using a dome for climbing. I don't do any climbing, but I understand the problem from pics I have seen. Even this winter, when I was in my EMS tent-similar in size to a Trango Assault, with most of my stuff in it, I was glad it was just me and not two of us.

TomD said:
Doug, I agree completely with you, some of those one man tents are way too tiny for me. Not because I'm a big guy, I'm not, but because there isn't much room for gear.
Yeah--I like to bring my toys inside too, particularly in bad weather. Also nice to have enough room to change, if need be. My first serious tent was a double A-frame with a 5x8 ft floor. Rated for two, we often put three (plus some gear) in it without difficulty. Since then, tents seem to have shrunken a mite...

When I had my Flashlight, it was just me most of the time and in bad weather, it was really a one person tent-me plus my gear. I also
I agree about the size of the Flashlight. I've seen recommendations that one get the 3-person version if you want it for 2.

agree about using a dome for climbing. I don't do any climbing, but I understand the problem from pics I have seen. Even this winter, when I was in my EMS tent-similar in size to a Trango Assault, with most of my stuff in it, I was glad it was just me and not two of us.
On the other hand, domes work well in high winds. Guess nothing is best at everything.

Doug

Doug, There was a similar discussion on Trailspace about various designs in wind conditions. Stephenson and Hilleberg were brought up with a couple of people saying they didn't hold up or flapped too much, but other people disagreed and really liked them. Like you said, no one tent is perfect for everything. Otherwise, we'd all buy that one. :)

I was thinking of those pics of a little Bibler or similar tent perched on some precarious high angle slope on a small space cut into the slope. In that case, tiny and light is better, I guess. Ed Viesturs talks about this a bit in his book about doing all the 8000m peaks.