Southern Ossipees (NH) Traverse, 11/16/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, LRiz, an excellent debut Report. I liked seeing those peaks through fresh eyes. I've enjoyed all the accounts and fine photos so far - like that Kurosawa flick Rashomon, only no crimes were committed and the perspectives aren't inconsistent, just different.

Still a few stragglers to be heard from, I hope!

Wow, there were a few nice summaries in this thread, but LRiz's captures the hike by far the best out of all of them in my opinion (though, she could have thrown in a few McRat insults :) ). Great job, but unfortunately you may have just become designated trip report writer on future VFTT hikes!

nice job with your report

you certainly caught the esscence of the hike.many friends..old and new..sharing a pretty fine experience on a quite variable weather day

see you again soon..well ..maybe not at 6am for isolation.......:)

*That's* why I had such a headache yesterday ... withdrawal from the espresso shot!

Clearing blowdowns is fun. :D

*That's* why I had such a headache yesterday ... withdrawal from the espresso shot!

Clearing blowdowns is fun. :D

I don't drink coffee or espresso, but after seeing how that powered your blowdown clearing ability, I may have to reconsider! Too bad I didn't get a photo of it for others to see - MichaelJ was holding a large log above his head as if he was participating in some sort of Scottish sports event!

- MichaelJ was holding a large log above his head as if he was participating in some sort of Scottish sports event!

That Scottish sport is Tossing the Caber. A number of us thought of that as we watched MichaelJ's impressive feat - he's a natural. I thought I recalled a photo, but it must just be the indelible image on my memory. :)

Just so folks know, we actually didn't get kicked out of the Yankee Smokehouse and pretty much everything I've said about McRat is false (except he does look like Peter Sellers with his alter-ego glasses). So don't worry - hiking the Ossipees will not result in you getting thrown out of the Yankee Smokehouse!

If anyone wants to see our GPS track on a Topo Map or a Google Earth image, or me "worshipping the snow flurry", I put up an album. I didn't actually bring a camera on this hike; Rocket21 gets credit for the photo. :)

that's some great stuff..thanks for sharing

we've had snow flurries the last 2 days in Meredith

friends did waumbek yesterday...up to 6 inches in places

:)

If anyone wants to see our GPS track on a Topo Map or a Google Earth image, or me "worshipping the snow flurry", I put up an album. I didn't actually bring a camera on this hike; Rocket21 gets credit for the photo. :)

Nice work! Cool avatar, too - there must have been a tremendous photographer in the crowd :)

Way Cool!

Now that it is no longer a volcano what is left is known as a Ring Dike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_dike

As I related earlier I climbed Mount Sentinel when I was about 18 yo. On our return my buddies mother showed us a topo of the area and told us about it having once been a volcano. She went on to explain that Dan Hole Pond covered a volcanic fissure that led to the underworld. UFO's regularly descend into the pond to visit the inhabitants of this underworld and she had seen them on a regular basis.

Bet you guys didn't know about that, didya? MJ and McRat may have to phone home and see if this is true. :p

KDT

Interesting. I read one reference that said it was a caldera on the surface and a ring dike at depth. But then again, "underground" is subjective when you have over a thousand feet of prominence.

Don't follow the lights.

there have been rumors about strange things going on in the Ossipees for years...

kind of a local joke actually..

maybe that's why the trails got abandoned?

They certainly did not fall into disrepair for lack of excellent views and lovely terrain....

maybe people stopped going there on purpose......:)

If I go missing as a result of an Ossipees hike, tell my story!

The Ossipee Ring Dike!
A great place to go for a sasquatch sighting, volcano lugeing, being abducted by aliens, or search the depths of hell for Nessie, in Dan Hole Pond.
And the hiking and scenery are pretty good too!
Am I missing anything?