Sport bra alternative for winter hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It didn't take long to figure out how inappropriate my sport bra is for winter hiking. It doesn't matter how many extra shirts I have with me if my base layer remains cold and wet - inviting hypothermia. There must be something out there I can wear during the strenuous "up," but keep on comfortably for the rest of the hike. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

I share your discomfort. I have tried all kinds of methods. Different layering, no layering (only 1 heavier shirt), all types of materials for the bras themselves, hiking slower to avoid sweating (that was a waste of time...literally).

What I usually do is pack a spare and change once I am either at my destination or the summit. A pain and inconvenient, but oh so wonderful to be dry. And warm. Curious if others have had success.

I'd suggest a long (meaning long enough to hit your waist) yoga or exercise top. The kind with the built in shelf bra/light support, and lightweight criss-cross straps. These are lighter weight, in general, and thus seem to dry more easily as opposed to getting heavy and water logged. You can get this kind of stuff for cheap at Target, and see if you like it. Of course there's not much support, if that's an issue/desired.

I've had luck with a mesh-panel bra from title 9. I can't recall the name off the top of my head, but having the mesh instead of the traditional thick, lycra-based material keeps it from holding quite so much sweat. I find underwire support helps, too, as having the girls mashed against my chest seems to encourage more sweat while preventing wicking.

(and I will add my standard bra advice that once you find something you like, go back and buy several, because odds are they'll have discontinued it or "improved" away the features you like by the time you're ready to shop again)

Last edited:
Yes, Shoe, that's probably the most feasible solution. Griffin had some good advice above with "once you find something you like, go back and buy several." I have 4 of the same that I use for hiking/backpacking. They are so old that the brand information is long worn away or washed away.