Spring Green Spotlight...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I took this yesterday near the summit of Washington while taking in a spectacular light show. Fast moving clouds were breaking, letting rays shine through to the valley below.

I like the spotlighting effect, but wonder iff the rest of the shot, and the overall composition are too dark here...I feel that this is a natural look, but does it effectively capture the moment?

Thoughts and impressions appreciated!

Canon 20D w/ Canon 50/f2.5 Macro (all I had w/me)
1/50 @ F8
ISO 100
2 Stop Soft Grad Filter
Handheld
Slight crop from left/bottom for composition!

IMG_0925esmnpn2js-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I think the tonal values in this shot are pretty much in the right place. The scene is the scene, and in this case it is all about the origin and play of light on the landscape. Some increase in contrast would be nice, as long as it doesn't result in blocking up and loss of detail in the brighter areas.

G.

I agree with grumpy. It's certainly not too dark for my taste. I'd be tempted to boost the contrast a little to make the light rays even more visible. To me, the rays (and to a lesser extent the "spotlight" areas) are the subject, a dark foreground and dark background help them stand out.