Spring Snowstorm coming!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
Just when I and a lot of people were saying goodbye to old man winter, we have a large snowstorm coming as well as at least 2 weeks of cold winter weather for especially the mountains. A storm is heading our way and as it is April, it will be a highly elevation dependent storm. Not even NWS is sure on the details of how far south it will snow, but for the White Mountains they are. They are already talking about a foot of snow and that is an early estimate. The storm as it heads out of the midwest will spawn secondary development and move up the coast. Rain and sleet will change to heavy wet snow in the higher elevations and move down. After the storm leaves we will be stuck in a cold, cyclonic flow which means snow showers every day in the mountains and dreary rain snow showers elsewhere. Situations like this higher mountains like Mount Washington may get several feet of snow in the next couple weeks. So dont put away winter gear yet for the mountains, things are about to get really interesting! -Mattl

!!!

I like this graphic from the NWS for North Conway...

Looks like Wednesday Night into Thursday could go a long way to freshen up the popular spring skiing spots in the Whites...and they badly need it!

Damn. I need the fields to be cleared off and dried off. Time to put the soccer boots on and put the skis on mothballs.

Wowsers! I'm glad I didn't put my snow shovel and XC skis in the basement just yet. :)

Adjustment in packing

Heading up there this weekend in hopes of getting a good Easter sunrise. Will now KEEP the snowshoes in the car, may not rack the bikes on the roof after all! Old Mutha Nature strikes again! Still beats hanging in CT for the weekend.
-TrekMan :D and Fiddlehead :eek:

Here in Waterville Valley we only got about 2 inches, but I did go out with the tractor to get rid of it in case it turns to sleet and rain. I'll wait to go skiing if we get more snow. Don't think you'll need the snow shoes yet.

The snow last night wasn't the event, so consider it just a taste. They are calling for total snow in the Whites of 8-16 or 10-20 by thursday night! 4-8 for the foothills of the whites. Going to be fun! -Mattl

giggy said:
less than 6 inches will fall in the whites.

Well Lonesome Lake had 5 last night, so some places have already approached the 6 inch mark, before the meat and potatoes comes in later toady.

Its pretty much a lock of a solid 1-2 feet of snow in the white mountains...with one foot in lower elevations and up to 2 feet in higher elevations. Highly elevation dependant storm. It's gonan be fun. Get out and enjoy it this weekend. I hope I do!

grouseking

The upslope is gonna really be significant as well. Pay close attention to snowfall amts at Cannon and Bretton woods thru the weekend. I think many will be surprised.

grouseking said:
Well Lonesome Lake had 5 last night, so some places have already approached the 6 inch mark, before the meat and potatoes comes in later toady.

Its pretty much a lock of a solid 1-2 feet of snow in the white mountains...with one foot in lower elevations and up to 2 feet in higher elevations. Highly elevation dependant storm. It's gonan be fun. Get out and enjoy it this weekend. I hope I do!

grouseking

Once the Downslope effect occurs it will all compress to less than a half foot. :)