Spring Snowstorm coming!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grouseking said:
The upslope is gonna really be significant as well. Pay close attention to snowfall amts at Cannon and Bretton woods thru the weekend. I think many will be surprised.

doubtful - been playing with myself in these hills for a bit, nothing in spring suprises me - tho - I agree with skiguy! less than 6 inch when all said and done. :) heavy wet snow - less inches.

6:00 am Thursday...the snow is extremely sticky here in Madison, NH. 14" so far and the tiny flakes are still falling.

Beautiful 14" of sticky snow here in Jackson as well...on my way to the kitty!

update

What a difference a few degrees of temp makes...

Last night I shoveled the decks of 4" of very sticky snow. But this morning I'm shoveling 10" of powder.

Killington sez 8-10" of powder and I have to go work ... sniffle ... please make it snow again, another foot, on Saturday night!!!

About 14" of back breaking, heavy, wet snow here in southern Maine. Looking forward to taking out the XC skis later in the woods behind my house. I love where I live.

does anyone have monthly snowfall totals for the white mountains, especially higher up? I seem to remember something about april being the heaviest month, or maybe that was just tuckerman's, or maybe I have altheimer's. I do remember hearing that may of 97 on mt washington broke the april record, with 98.5 inches that month.

Last edited:
I found a site for mt. washington. april seems to have the second highest average of snow next to February. I guess the higher places will continue to get lots of snow this month according to data.

The snow totals for the White Mountains as of now are only temporary as very good upslope for the next week will continue. As of now Wildcat got 17 inches, 14-15 for Cannon, Bretton, Loon, Waterville. As for other areas a general 14-20 as of now. After the upslope is said and done and day heating snowshowers even by this weekend add on another 3-6 possibly more. Here at Lebanon we got 7-9 inches. Its hard to tell because it will settle. So bring snowshoes! -Mattl

ok - I admit it and take it like a man when i am off - I didn't think they would get that much - must be due to the upslope, downslope and around the corner slope.

andrew dice clay rules!

Sugarloaf is reporting 20-24 inches and Saddleback is reporting 26 inches... putting both areas well over 30 inches for the week.

These are ski resort numbers so believe/don't believe as you see fit.

Giggy wrote-
must be due to the upslope, downslope and around the corner slope.

naw- it's just cause you weren't planning a hike then...

I shoveled about 14" off the driveway this morning and my wife just called to say she shoveled another 3+... and it's still coming in droves. I think it's supposed to end in a couple of hours up here, though.

I really, really want to play hooky and get out but I don't think it's in the cards.

a friend is joking that we're going to have a white Easter instead of a white Christmas this year.

spencer

I read that in the Old Farmer's Almanac a while back- "green Christmas, white Easter." 3 inches here in Central MA, but with the sun it may be mostly gone by tonight. The radar this AM was really impressive with banding of heavy snow in NH- would not surprise me to see some 3 foot totals from isolated spots in the Whites or Western ME when all is said and done after a couple more days, given the upslope stuff. I want one of those upslope things in my neighborhood.

I wanna play hooky too!
-Weatherman

giggy said:
ok - I admit it and take it like a man when i am off - I didn't think they would get that much - must be due to the upslope, downslope and around the corner slope.

andrew dice clay rules!

But let's not forget the Diagonal Slope which is yet to be significant...then comes the real effect...the interslope! :eek:

This snow was very elevation dependant, as all April snows are. Here in Leb we picked up a healthy 7-8 inches of wet, pasty snow, but if you trqvel up to 1000 feet, there is more, over a foot. Here are a couple pics from the day.

Great Brook
file.jpg

A Nice Barn
file.jpg

Near the Ascutney View Farm on Poverty Lane
file.jpg

MOO!!
file.jpg

Rest of pics are here. http://grouseking.phanfare.com/album/249502#imageID=14817604

I love April snowstorms! The only thing better than April snows are May snows :)

grouseking